Report: LIU-Brooklyn adding D-I women's hockey for 2019-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
    Really? You think a bunch more of the players would transfer out? Don't you think they'd love a legitimate chance at winning a conference championship and getting an AQ to the national tournament? The odds of them achieving both of those goals are way higher in the CHA. In my opinion they will never win the WCHA tournament which means they would always have to rely on the chance of getting an at-large bid. That significantly reduces their odds of getting into the national tournament on a consistent basis. Clarkson has proven that you DO NOT need to play in the WCHA during the regular season in order to prepare to win a National Championship.

Being in the strongest conference doesn't necessarily help you get to the national tournament. The same thing holds true in D3 hockey. It's been argued for years that the NESCAC is the strongest D3 conference therefore it's better to play there than any other conference to make it to the D3 national tournament, but Middlebury is still the only team in that conference that consistently makes it to the D3 national tournament. Middlebury in the NESCAC is comparable to Wisconsin or Minnesota in the WCHA.
    True but the CHA is also getting stronger every year and nothing says that it would be a slam dunk for OSU If they moved to the CHA. Last year was a good one for them but it also came when the top echelon teams had their core players in the Olympics. If players leave OSU, it will have nothing to do with the conference they are in.

Comment

Re: Report: LIU-Brooklyn adding D-I women's hockey for 2019-20

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
      A pretty significant chunk of their roster isn't playing for OSU if they're not in the WCHA.
      Think about this statement for just a minute and it does make some sense. For Minnesota players on the OSU roster, their parents can see them without any problems twice at Ridder and a number of times with easy commutes to Mankato, St Cloud, and even not too bad to Duluth, Bemidji and Madison. Those players are very familiar with a most all the players on the Minnesota roster as well as many on the other league teams rosters.

Clarkson has broken through the WCHA stranglehold on national titles but Minnesota and Wisconsin (and to a lesser degree now, UMD) are still the standard bearers for women's college hockey and that is a big deal getting to compete against that.
      Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 06-06-2018, 10:28 PM.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        Think about this statement for just a minute and it does make some sense. For Minnesota players on the OSU roster, their parents can see them without any problems twice at Ridder and a number of times with easy commutes to Mankato, St Cloud, and even not too bad to Duluth, Bemidji and Madison. Those players are very familiar with a most all the players on the Minnesota roster as well as many on the other league teams rosters.

Clarkson has broken through the WCHA stranglehold on national titles but Minnesota and Wisconsin (and too a lesser degree now, UMD) are still the standard bearers for women's college hockey and that is a big deal getting to compete against that.
        Would OSU not become more attractive for players from Ontario as family could increase the number of games they could attend as Penn, Mercyhurst, Robert Morris, Syracuse and RIT are all within 5-6 hours of the Toronto area?

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
          Would OSU not become more attractive for players from Ontario as family could increase the number of games they could attend as Penn, Mercyhurst, Robert Morris, Syracuse and RIT are all within 5-6 hours of the Toronto area?
          Exactly. There are more benefits for OSU joining the CHA than staying in the WCHA. I'd much rather play in the CHA and have much higher odds of making the NCAA tournament vs staying in the WCHA just to play Wisconsin and Minnesota 4 games a year in the regular season. That's definitely not worth it. It's a whole different recruiting conversation when you tell a prospect she has a chance to make it to the NCAA tournament each of her 4 years by playing in the CHA compared to telling her she has the chance to play against and probably lose to Wisconsin and Minnesota 4 times each year for her 4 years of college hockey not to mention a very limited chance of ever making it to the NCAA tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
            I think you've got that backwards. A pretty significant chunk of their roster isn't playing for OSU if they're not in the WCHA.
            Agreed. And as I read your post, it has nothing to do with "transfers." Recruiting MN and the rest of the Upper Midwest is viable as a WCHA member; but would be much more difficult otherwise. The point is that OSU would miss out on new recruits if we were to leave the WCHA.

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

Clarkson has broken through the WCHA stranglehold on national titles but Minnesota and Wisconsin (and too a lesser degree now, UMD) are still the standard bearers for women's college hockey and that is a big deal getting to compete against that.
            Appreciate the elaboration, and I agree with it.

I don't make it to road games much these days, but I can confirm that what you say is real. I've been to Buckeye games at St. Cloud, Mankato & Duluth. In each case Buckeye families were well represented.

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
            This is an intelligent point. If OSU were to land in the CHA, adjustments in recruiting strategy would be required. No doubt this angle would be at the top of the list.

But to my ear, this sounds like an opportunity to break even. A hopeful thought that things might not be so bad. My question is this: Why would I want to change conferences for a chance to break even?

Comment

This is an interesting conversation but...

Changing strategies from having a strong recruiting presence in the Mid-West (especially Minnesota) based on conference affiliation to potentially changing to another conference and shifting the primary focus to recruiting in Canada does not seem like a benefit. There are no guarantees that they would make headway with that strategy against Clarkson and the rest of the Ivy League schools, let alone the top Hockey East teams. That seems like a big risk, especially with the current facilities OSU has.

No way is OSU, as a member of the same power 5 conference as Minnesota and Wisconsin, going to move from the WCHA to the CHA regardless of Penn State being in the CHA. Not gonna happen.
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                Exactly. There are more benefits for OSU joining the CHA than staying in the WCHA.
                Nonsense. You have no connection to OSU, and you're just having some fun with house money.

I'd much rather play in the CHA and have much higher odds of making the NCAA tournament vs staying in the WCHA just to play Wisconsin and Minnesota 4 games a year in the regular season. That's definitely not worth it. It's a whole different recruiting conversation when you tell a prospect she has a chance to make it to the NCAA tournament each of her 4 years by playing in the CHA compared to telling her she has the chance to play against and probably lose to Wisconsin and Minnesota 4 times each year for her 4 years of college hockey not to mention a very limited chance of ever making it to the NCAA tournament.
                While this isn't irrational, it's not the way most athletes think.

Personally, I never had the ability to be a D-1 Athlete in any sport. Not even close. But I was fortunate enough to participate in several sports beyond the beginner level. In the various Varsity & JV experiences, never once did I have the thought: "Gosh, I wish our team would change leagues so the competition would be easier."

Granted, strong players sometimes play down as "ringers" in Rec Sports leagues. But frankly I find even that choice hard to understand.

Comment

Penn State to the WCHA so it can be with its Big10 Sisters and gets the league to 8. Flies in the face of geography, but the Big10 school would be all together.
                  Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                  FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                  NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                  NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                  NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                  NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                  Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                  Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                    Penn State to the WCHA so it can be with its Big10 Sisters and gets the league to 8. Flies in the face of geography, but the Big10 school would be all together.
                    The league can’t afford the travel is the messsage I have understood, over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                      If nothing happens until 2019-20, and the conferences do what seems like the obvious choice, the CHA can replace Lindenwood with LIU-Brooklyn and remain at six teams, and the WCHA can add Lindenwood (and keep Ohio State) and be at eight teams - everybody wins.
                      If CHA loses Lindenwood, I do hope LIU-Brooklyn joins the CHA. I don’t think they are interchangeable - a brand new program vs Lindenwood, but you make the best of a situation. Like Lindenwood beat 4 out of 5 CHA teams this year and SLU when they ranked, when they were out in California. It will take LIU some time to get to that level. Also, Lindenwood is just part of the history of the league now, you know, and some of us are not good with change, lol.

But it potentially is what is. For me the hope would be that LIU-Brooklyn joins the league, and quickly finds a way to compete, and stays in the league. For the sake of the growth of college hockey and an auto bid, I’d welcome them with open arms.

Comment

I'd like to see Sacred Heart join that. Just have a feeling they are poking around looking to shed the independent status.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
                          I'd like to see Sacred Heart join that. Just have a feeling they are poking around looking to shed the independent status.
                          I wish that were true, but they could have joined the CHA anytime they wanted. Don't think for a second that the CHA has been not letting them in - SHU just doesn't want to spend any money on this program and all that travel cost for the CHA adds up. It's sole purpose is to keep them in Title IX compliance on the cheap.

Comment

SHU has been actively recruited for this upcoming seasons team, so I have to believe they will be improved. As the NEWHA is basically kaput, now would be the time to act if they want to join the CHA. Last season they had "success" as defined by the level of play they competed at by beating Saint Anselm and winning the NEWHA title, so let's see if they can build on that. Remember what TonyTheTiger20 said a few months back!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post

Saint Anselm transitively beat Wisconsin today:

Saint Anselm > Sacred Heart > Holy Cross > Harvard > Dartmouth > Maine > Northeastern > Wisconsin

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                              If CHA loses Lindenwood, I do hope LIU-Brooklyn joins the CHA. I don’t think they are interchangeable - a brand new program vs Lindenwood, but you make the best of a situation.
                              True, and a fair point to make.

Like Lindenwood beat 4 out of 5 CHA teams this year and SLU when they ranked, when they were out in California. It will take LIU some time to get to that level. Also, Lindenwood is just part of the history of the league now, you know, and some of us are not good with change, lol.

From the outside looking in, I hadn't previously heard this sentiment regarding Lindenwood. Perhaps you're being playful and serious in equal doses? But if people from Lindenwood and the CHA actually feel that way, then the rest of us should leave well enough alone.

But it potentially is what is. For me the hope would be that LIU-Brooklyn joins the league, and quickly finds a way to compete, and stays in the league. For the sake of the growth of college hockey and an auto bid, I’d welcome them with open arms.
                              Good values all around; glad to see someone taking into account the overall good of the game.

Comment

It is not surprising that there would be rumors about Lindenwood moving, it was suggested long before I brought it up. But, if I recall correctly (and I am sure if I don't I will be sufficiently chastised for the failure) that it takes 2 years lead time. Since nothing has been announced I would be surprised if Lindenwood really wanted in. Maybe they are looking at their options, particularly the financial aspects (no idea what membership in CHA costs vs WCHA or what the change in travel budget would be) or maybe they are just happy with their current situation. But it looks more like it would be 21-22 at the earliest - if at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X