Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Re: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I track everything manually, both for personal and the farm. Spreadsheets for all of it, no separate software to do anything.
    I knew I liked you for a reason.
    I have a spreadsheet as well for our expenses and travel stuff. It's been great. The summer that I worked for the business school at BU opened my eyes to how much you can customize stuff in Excel and how to do functions and write formulas.
    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    I don't think I even know all the things spread sheets can do. I can make simple ones but I have no idea how to make them anything other than check lists
    I can send you mine if you'd like. You might need to tweak it, but as someone who likes data, it's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    I prefer to control when the money exits my account. Still pay everything online though. Only have , rent, cable/internet, electricity, and car payment (Also, I never make only the minimum payment on my car).
    Same, except substitute mortgage for rent. I prefer to control it as I don't get paid at the same time every month and if we're traveling I like to prepay bills so they don't come due while we're away.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    I've been using Quicken my entire adult life, so I can tell you where every penny has gone since 1995. The only exception is cash - for the first few years, I even kept track of that (treating withdrawals as transfers into a cash account, which I then spent on food, hookers, blow, etc). I have so many accounts that I can't imagine doing it manually via a spreadsheet.
    Ditto. Iíve been on mint for about 9 years now. It keeps track of my checking, credit card purchases, car loans, mortgages, retirement, and investments. Same thing with cash. I just treat it as a slush fund. Hookers and blow seems about right.

I tried doing it all by spreadsheet and itís just impossible. It grew to over 15 MB in under four years. Too processor heavy and it takes too much time to update the graphs. Iíve been thinking about playing around with power views but itís not quite what Iím looking for.

I just like that itís virtually zero effort and I can get a full financial picture on a momentís notice.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    I knew I liked you for a reason.
    I have a spreadsheet as well for our expenses and travel stuff. It's been great. The summer that I worked for the business school at BU opened my eyes
    I've got my farm spreadsheet up to probably about 12 sheets. Input transactions, code each one with a 3 digit number to classify each one, then have pivot tables to spit out expenses and income for all areas. I have sheets that are automatically coded to create a tax summary cor each year, for my tax guy, ones that tell me my seed expenses, fertilizer expenses, chemical expenses, labor, land rent, land principal, land mortgage interest, etc. Then I also have a sheet that automatically creates a projection for the next season, based on past performance and inputs, to use to securing financing. Lastly have several calculator sheets so I can calculate my break even points for yield, price, land rent, etc. Its turned out pretty well so far.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

I track everything manually, both for personal and the farm. Spreadsheets for all of it, no separate software to do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    I don't think I even know all the things spread sheets can do. I can make simple ones but I have no idea how to make them anything other than check lists
    I've got my farm spreadsheet up to probably about 12 sheets. Input transactions, code each one with a 3 digit number to classify each one, then have pivot tables to spit out expenses and income for all areas. I have sheets that are automatically coded to create a tax summary cor each year, for my tax guy, ones that tell me my seed expenses, fertilizer expenses, chemical expenses, labor, land rent, land principal, land mortgage interest, etc. Then I also have a sheet that automatically creates a projection for the next season, based on past performance and inputs, to use to securing financing. Lastly have several calculator sheets so I can calculate my break even points for yield, price, land rent, etc. Its turned out pretty well so far.
    I wish this was something that was taught in HS or college. I learned more about financial management in the 3 months at this job than I had in any other time in my life. I have a Workbook for each year with a sheet for each month. The expenses are classified into a header at the top that populates as I enter data. The 13th page has charts and aggregate spending for the year. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    I wish this was something that was taught in HS or college. I learned more about financial management in the 3 months at this job than I had in any other time in my life. I have a Workbook for each year with a sheet for each month. The expenses are classified into a header at the top that populates as I enter data. The 13th page has charts and aggregate spending for the year. I love it.
    I do most of the same type of thing using Quicken. I can't say I wish they taught this in HS- it wasn't invented then I do find it fascinating but I am a learn as I do person and watching videos, etc go right over my head.

dd_bl YIKES!!

When will dx start the spreadsheet thread?

Lucia Apologist

Donít tempt me

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    I prefer to control when the money exits my account. Still pay everything online though. Only have rent, cable/internet, electricity, and car payment (Also, I never make only the minimum payment on my car).
    This. I pay most stuff online, but at my discretion. This is different than autopay. I pay my rent by check because the only other option is autopay.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    This. I pay most stuff online, but at my discretion. This is different than autopay. I pay my rent by check because the only other option is autopay.
    Billpay is always an option. If the person/company that you are paying doesn't accept electronic payments, the bank sends a secure cashier check instead.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

This talk about spreadsheets is gear grinding.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Minnesotans Arguing About Pivot Tables
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Minnesotans Arguing About Pivot Tables
    I hate pivot tables. Just put the data into a database and go from there.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Pivot tables are great, and very useful.

RIP - Kirby

Yeah I use pivot tables quite a bit and found great ways to combine with graphs depending upon who's going to be looking at my results.

Do you guys all wear pocket protectors too?
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    No, that is RFAlph Baer's job.

I do not need air conditioning. The woosh as this went over my head should be good for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    Do you guys all wear pocket protectors too?
    Ha!

Lucia Apologist

Two people today nearly ran me off the road. Just because youíre signaling doesnít mean I see it and it doesnít mean I have to let you in. Especially when Iím side by side with you. I laid on the horn for the second one and the guy gave me the finger.

Then, I got asked to play a second game of soccer tonight in net. I had everything laid out for dinner and ready to go. :-/

The other team was in need so of course I said yes. Iím currently paying for that with a reminder Iím no longer in my 20s. Oof.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Iím currently paying for that with a reminder Iím no longer in my 20s. Oof.
    That is one of the worst feelings ever. You know what you used to be, and are not anymore.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Made in the USA

Amen.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Thread Information