X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Gah.

My wife, who is an otherwise rational person with degrees in math, physics, and engineering physics and is a rabid pro-vaxxer (her sister works for the Gates foundation modeling vaccine efficacy), has somehow fallen for the non-GMO marketing BS. Unbelievable. This in spite of the following organizations saying that GMO foods are perfectly safe:

National Academy of Sciences: "To date, no adverse health effects attributed to genetic engineering have been documented in the human population."
    American Association for the Advancement of Science: "The science is quite clear: crop improvement by the modern molecular techniques of biotechnology is safe."
    American Medical Association: "Bioengineered foods have been consumed for close to 20 years [in 2012], and during that time, no overt consequences on human health have been reported and/or substantiated in the peer-reviewed literature"
    Food and Drug Administration: "Credible evidence has demonstrated that foods from the Genetically Engineered plant varieties marketed to date are as safe as comparable, non-Genetically Engineered foods."
    Royal Society: "Foods derived from GM crops have been consumed by hundreds of millions of people across the world for more than 15 years [in 2008], with no reported ill effects"
    European Commission: "These [GMO development and research] activities provide at least equal assurance of the safety of these foods compared to conventional counterparts."
    World Health Organization: "No effects on human health have been shown as a result of the consumption of such foods by the general population in the countries where they have been approved."

Yes, you *CAN* be too careful - otherwise, staying in bed all day wearing a football helmet would be considered perfectly rational.
    NPR had a thing on about that at one point that was very even handed. More about how it will affect diversity than it is unhealthful.

Also heard a verrrrry interesting thing on about how the genetically engineered/hybridization has bred things to be seedless and plumper. This apparently encourages the plants to increase the sugar content and decrease the fiber content in the fruits. Natural fruits used to be smaller and less tasty but more nutrient filled. Over time we have bred them to be sweeter and seedless. THey figured this out looking at zoo animals who do very poorly natural fruits/veggies. They need to feed them specially formulated pellets or they have issues.

Comment

Marketing BS is right. Non-GMO is a complete load of ****. The only positive is, that little logo on packaging says what not to buy. Bring on the GMOs, I'll eat them all.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
        Gah.
        Yes, you *CAN* be too careful - otherwise, staying in bed all day wearing a football helmet would be considered perfectly rational.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Fruit flies.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
            Fruit flies.
            1) Take an empty soda bottle.
            2) Cut off the bottom 2 inches or so.
            3) Fill halfway with apple cider vinegar.
            4) Add a drop or two of dish soap to break the surface tension of the vinegar.
            5) Seal with Saran wrap and poke a couple holes.
            6) Watch them drop like...well, flies.
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
              I'll try this, because the fly paper isn't working. Thank you.
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Just make sure to swap it out after a few days. My gf left one out for too long and some that didnt die actually mated inside. A few then escaped the holes.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                  And scour your cupboards for any hidden food that may be either rotting or overly ripe.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The apple cider vinegar trick is working. Later, I'll check the cupboards for over ripe food.

Comment

Every time Christmas is mentioned before Thanksgiving, Santa is forced to execute another elf.

War on Christmas? Christmas is waging war on us.

Comment

To preface, "672" is chlorinated alkaline cleaner. Caustic is an understatement; I have to wear a face shield, rubber gloves, and a rain suit to every time I handle it. Earlier this year, I mishandled it, didn't have my face shield down, and it splashed on my face. I felt it for about a week and a half.

So, 7 AM, I was told I needed to use 672 to help clean my machine this morning. this particular chemical helps take care of build up. I was told to be careful, and this guy made a motion of a face shield.

9:30, I tell him I'm having trouble getting the sprayer to spray, so without PPE on, he comes over and starts handling this chemical. Unscrewing the pump off the spray bottle, moving it while it's open, etc. I tell him to back away, that he needs a face shield, etc to handle this stuff, and he doesn't listen. So I told a supervisor, that being the only thing I could do.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                          To preface, "672" is chlorinated alkaline cleaner. Caustic is an understatement; I have to wear a face shield, rubber gloves, and a rain suit to every time I handle it. Earlier this year, I mishandled it, didn't have my face shield down, and it splashed on my face. I felt it for about a week and a half.

So, 7 AM, I was told I needed to use 672 to help clean my machine this morning. this particular chemical helps take care of build up. I was told to be careful, and this guy made a motion of a face shield.

9:30, I tell him I'm having trouble getting the sprayer to spray, so without PPE on, he comes over and starts handling this chemical. Unscrewing the pump off the spray bottle, moving it while it's open, etc. I tell him to back away, that he needs a face shield, etc to handle this stuff, and he doesn't listen. So I told a supervisor, that being the only thing I could do.
                          Being HAZMAT certified, even though I don't deal with HAZMAT materials anymore, that dude should be reprimanded at best, fired at worst.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                            Being HAZMAT certified, even though I don't deal with HAZMAT materials anymore, that dude should be reprimanded at best, fired at worst.
                            He was reprimanded yesterday.

I still wonder how he can be that dumb.

Hell, the fumes from that make my skin itchy.

Comment

Wife and kids left for Bangkok today - I won't be joining them until the 27th. The first few days of freedom won't even be fun since it's the start of the work week and by Wednesday I'll be bored.

Comment

Accidentally getting my opposite thumb with the microplane grater. Next time, zest the orange a little smarter.

Comment

Working...
                                X