Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Well, duh. But you have given them access to your bank account, and that does open the door for possible problems.
    You don't understand how billpay works, do you? You don't give anyone any kind of access to your account if you use billpay...the company you're paying doesn't take money from your account, you send it to them, on the date you select. It just gets sent electronically, instead of via a check. Much more secure.
    Last edited by bigblue_dl; 09-13-2018, 10:11 AM.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Well, duh. But you have given them access to your bank account, and that does open the door for possible problems.
      You can also have your mail stolen when you send a check, or someone could forge your signature on a check. Probably same percentage likelihood. And you know your banking account information is on your check, right? So anyone that sees one of your checks has your routing number and account number, and your name and address as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        You don't understand how billpay works, do you? You don't give anyone any kind of access to your account if you use billpay...the company you're paying doesn't take money from your account, you send it to them, on the date you select. It just gets sent electronically, instead of via a check. Much more secure.
        I don't have that. I just have them pull money out. You send a cancelled check and they can do an ACH transfer out. Xcel does it, my garbage company does it, and GDO does it for utilities. There might be one or two other ones.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          why would he know how it works before forming an opinion on it? This is 2018!
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Apple is an effing cult. Can't believe people will pay $1100 for their top-end phone.
            Especially since their phones are garbage
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Let me guess...you cover the web cam on your laptop too because you fear "THEY ARE WATCHING!!!!1"
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                Let me guess...you cover the web cam on your laptop too because you fear "THEY ARE WATCHING!!!!1"
                I see a shocking number of people who do that. I'm more surprised when I don't see it now.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I don't have that. I just have them pull money out. You send a cancelled check and they can do an ACH transfer out. Xcel does it, my garbage company does it, and GDO does it for utilities. There might be one or two other ones.
                  Yeah, you can do it like that. I don't though. I use billpay offered by my bank. When I pay my bills I go the website and schedule an electronic payment. It makes it easier to keep track of how much I'm paying for stuff, and monitor expenses, when compared to them just taking money out. The only exception are my wife's student loans, where she gets a half a point reduction in interest rate if she signs up for auto-debit, so its a no-brainer to sign up for it on those accounts.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    Yeah, you can do it like that. I don't though. I use billpay offered by my bank. When I pay my bills I go the website and schedule an electronic payment. It makes it easier to keep track of how much I'm paying for stuff, and monitor expenses, when compared to them just taking money out. The only exception are my wife's student loans, where she gets a half a point reduction in interest rate if she signs up for auto-debit, so its a no-brainer to sign up for it on those accounts.
                    I use Mint to aggregate everything. Most banks have separate Mint/Quicken logins now so you don't actually have to give Mint access to core accounts.

I just don't track my money flow for bills and utilities that often. Maybe quarterly or semiannually. Garbage isn't going to change much. Water is only billed every other month and I'd forget to pay if I didn't have it setup. And Xcel is what it is. I'm generally pretty low cost for gas and electricity (I think I'm in something like the 5th percentile for energy users in my neighborhood). Car payments are always the same.

I took a look at billpay but I would rather not have to worry about remembering to pay. I can be absent-minded about things like that, so I did what works for me which isn't for everyone.
                    Code:

Comment

THis was in AARP magazine (yes I am old enough) - seems to go against what I believed. I have access to everything but I don't pay most things on line. "Register for online access to every financial account you have (bank accounts, credit cards, 401(k)s and so on). Then check each one weekly. Also consider setting up alerts on your major accounts so that any time there is activity, you are sent a text message. Most companies will do this for free and allow you to set a dollar threshold. "

Comment

I use Mint to aggregate everything. Most banks have separate Mint/Quicken logins now so you don't actually have to give Mint access to core accounts.

I just don't track my money flow for bills and utilities that often. Maybe quarterly or semiannually. Garbage isn't going to change much. Water is only billed every other month and I'd forget to pay if I didn't have it setup. And Xcel is what it is. I'm generally pretty low cost for gas and electricity (I think I'm in something like the 5th percentile for energy users in my neighborhood). Car payments are always the same.

I took a look at billpay but I would rather not have to worry about remembering to pay. I can be absent-minded about things like that, so I did what works for me which isn't for everyone.
                        I track everything manually, both for personal and the farm. Spreadsheets for all of it, no separate software to do anything.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Even that doesn't give them, "access to your account". They have to submit a request to your bank for each monthly payment and your bank has to respond. They can't just arbitrarily take money from your account and you can put a stop to it with your bank at any time. That's no more giving "them" access to an account than you give to your company when you sign up for direct deposit.

Brent doesn't have that either?

Comment

Didn’t know that. Thanks.
                            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              I can't imagine not having direct deposit. I don't think it is even an option at my employer to get a paper check anymore. I mean, its not the '80's anymore.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                Even that doesn't give them, "access to your account". They have to submit a request to your bank for each monthly payment and your bank has to respond. They can't just arbitrarily take money from your account and you can put a stop to it with your bank at any time. That's no more giving "them" access to an account than you give to your company when you sign up for direct deposit.

Yeah, there are a whole series of safeguards on automated money transfers so as not to simply allow "direct access" to an account. Most people don't see them because they just witness the end results. I've had to go through some ACH processes, really just an introduction as part of my job, and there are a great many steps involved. Tremendously involved, and tremendously stepped.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X