Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.34: Spy Gate. No Spy. No Gate.

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    When I was a kid there was nowhere else on Earth I would rather be living. Nowhere. Now, there's probably a dozen places I'd rather be right now.
    Same here.

The United States is not the greatest country in the world. Sure used to be, though.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Which implies that he can ORDER that to be done, as well.

And we know that Congress has passed laws that assassination is not legal.

Since dump tells us that he can pardon himself, and that he's above the law, it's pretty clear WHY he's buddy-buddy with Korea and Russia, and making all of our allies really angry with him. He associates with the strong arm dictator.

This guy is pure evil to the United States of America.
      They are arguing the same thing that has been argued multiple times in the past, and which has never actually been decided by the Supreme Court -- Can a sitting president be indicted and forced to stand trial while in office.

I think legal scholars are split on the question, and there is probably enough reading material for you on the subject to fill your day, if you're interested.

No one is arguing that the president is above the law or ultimately can't be prosecuted for his acts. The argument is that while he is in office, Congress would first have to impeach him (which even this congress would do if he killed someone, or had them killed), then he would be prosecuted.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        When I was a kid there was nowhere else on Earth I would rather be living. Nowhere. Now, there's probably a dozen places I'd rather be right now.
        Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Same here.

The United States is not the greatest country in the world. Sure used to be, though.
        Just out of curiosity, what's stopping you guys?
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          Barriers to employment elsewhere, primarily, at least in my case. Not exactly as easy to cross international borders permanently as it is a state border. Add in the extra time and expense to become licensed as an attorney even in another common law country, and yeah, not going to happen any time soon.

If I win the lottery, though, all bets are off.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            ROTFLMAO

I'm 50 and have family that's not moving. I'm not leaving my family so I can get out of this ****hole. Just like any other father who lives in another ****hole.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

They are arguing the same thing that has been argued multiple times in the past, and which has never actually been decided by the Supreme Court -- Can a sitting president be indicted and forced to stand trial while in office.

I think legal scholars are split on the question, and there is probably enough reading material for you on the subject to fill your day, if you're interested.

No one is arguing that the president is above the law or ultimately can't be prosecuted for his acts. The argument is that while he is in office, Congress would first have to impeach him (which even this congress would do if he killed someone, or had them killed), then he would be prosecuted.
              From some levels, you are correct.

But this guy thinks he can pardon himself. Which does mean he THINKS he can't be prosecuted for his acts. Based on what Congress can do, the worst they can do is remove him from office. That's it. So he can call a strike on some US official, committing a murder, and pardon himself. And the only thing Congress can do is remove him from office.

Comment

The very standard response to any negative feeling of the US. Are you just trying to be stereotypical? Of do you really think that everything the US has done is justified?

Comment

You guys should put your travel plans on hold until after the upcoming election. That will tell us whether or not people are indifferent to a treasonous money laundering cult running the country.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    You guys should put your travel plans on hold until after the upcoming election. That will tell us whether or not people are indifferent to a treasonous money laundering cult running the country.
                    LOL

We elected Trump. That's enough for me. Not only that but we elected him over a woman that we were bitter wasn't locked up in jail for doing nothing wrong.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

From some levels, you are correct.

But this guy thinks he can pardon himself. Which does mean he THINKS he can't be prosecuted for his acts. Based on what Congress can do, the worst they can do is remove him from office. That's it. So he can call a strike on some US official, committing a murder, and pardon himself. And the only thing Congress can do is remove him from office.
                      A president pardoning himself is an entirely different beast. As I recall, that same issue came up during Nixon, and I'm pretty sure that there aren't many people out there who think a president could successfully pardon himself, even those who thought that a president can't be indicted while in office.

Now, if anyone were to try it, it would probably be Trump. Personally I think that effort would ultimately fail.

Comment

The very standard response to any negative feeling of the US. Are you just trying to be stereotypical? Of do you really think that everything the US has done is justified?
                        I certainly don't think the country is perfect, or hasn't made some very significant errors.

That said, I'm happy I'm living here and I can't think of anyplace I'd rather live. Scooby and Kep seem intelligent enough, and certainly capable of relocating if they really wanted to. I was just curious why they hadn't.

Comment

Philip Roth=Nostradamus
                          http://www.vo*****/2018/5/28/1739326...a-book-fiction
                          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

I certainly don't think the country is perfect, or hasn't made some very significant errors.

That said, I'm happy I'm living here and I can't think of anyplace I'd rather live. Scooby and Kep seem intelligent enough, and certainly capable of relocating if they really wanted to. I was just curious why they hadn't.
                            No matter where you go, you are still an American. So why leave when you can try to make it better.

We will leave when it's clear that there is no return, but I very much don't see that point- while it sucks right now, it's still better than 1968, and I'm sure we will go there before we go full Nazi. Still, the trend to a dictatorship that favors one kind of people over another, and the people in this country thinking that is a good idea is very disappointing.

Comment

Day 24 of Melania Watch. Now she will not be traveling to the NK summit or G7.

Looks like we have reached the divorce storyline in House of Cards, except she's not American so they can't randomly make up to become running mates.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

No matter where you go, you are still an American. So why leave when you can try to make it better.

We will leave when it's clear that there is no return, but I very much don't see that point- while it sucks right now, it's still better than 1968, and I'm sure we will go there before we go full Nazi. Still, the trend to a dictatorship that favors one kind of people over another, and the people in this country thinking that is a good idea is very disappointing.
                                Not sure this is better than 1968. You have a combination of 1968 and 1972-73 going on at the same time this time. That's a doubling down we've never had before.

Comment

Working...
                                X