Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: POTUS 45.34: Spy Gate. No Spy. No Gate.

The Dark One
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom

Re: POTUS 45.34: Spy Gate. No Spy. No Gate.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Keep in mind the boomers were not adults in the 50s and have no reason to want to return there. None of my boomer friends would think of wishing such a thing. That is precisely what many of us revolted against. It is one thing to suggest that boomers have dropped the ball in holding off big money interests during the change from a manufacturing economy to a service economy, but to suggest that we want to return to the social climate of the 50s is unsupported as far as I can see, biased as I admittedly am.
    The older of the baby boomers tend to be around the age of 70. IMHO these are the worst people for Trump worshiping and believing any BS conspiracy theory that comes along. Perhaps you're at the end of the baby boom (1960-64) and I will say people in their late 50's don't seem to share the same traits as their older counterparts. But, people in their 60's and 70's are the absolute worst, collectively, that I've ever seen. Far worse than the greatest generation when they were that age.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

A feckless "see you next tuesday".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4QgdZ3eIis
    A bad cause requires many words.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    The older of the baby boomers tend to be around the age of 70. IMHO these are the worst people for Trump worshiping and believing any BS conspiracy theory that comes along. Perhaps you're at the end of the baby boom (1960-64) and I will say people in their late 50's don't seem to share the same traits as their older counterparts. But, people in their 60's and 70's are the absolute worst, collectively, that I've ever seen. Far worse than the greatest generation when they were that age.
    I know boomers who support Trump, but far more who think he is a dangerous child. It looks to me to be more a function of education than age. I have no stats to back that up though. People certainly get more conservative as they age, but I'm not sure the boomers are any different than other generations in the degree to which that has happened. I can see why it seems they have grown much more conservative, given how radical many were in our late teens and 20s.

I feel very good about many social changes our generation played an important part in, but there is no question we have disappointed.
    Last edited by burd; 05-31-2018 at 01:44 PM.

RIP Liberalism 6/27/2018 ScoobyDoo's Avatar

***?

Flexing his clemency power as he and his team face multiple criminal investigations of their own, Mr. Trump also said that he was thinking about the case of Martha Stewart, the lifestyle mogul who spent five months in prison for lying to investigators about the timing of a stock sale.

The president was focusing on cases where he argued that the justice system had unfairly treated celebrity figures, all of whom were convicted of crimes that in some ways mirrored charges that have been made or mentioned in connection with allies of Mr. Trump in recent weeks, including campaign finance violations and lying to investigators.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/31/u...imes&smtyp=cur
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

The Dark One
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom

I know boomers who support Trump, but far more who think he is a dangerous child. It looks to me to be more a function of education than age. I have no stats to back that up though. People certainly get more conservative as they age, but I'm not sure the boomers are any different than other generations in the degree to which that has happened. I can see why it seems they have grown much more conservative, given how radical many were in our late teens and 20s.

I feel very good about many social changes our generation played an important part in, but there is no question we have disappointed.
    The bolded part actually isn't true. If you think about the social change of the 60's and the voters who put progressives in power back then, none of them were Baby Boomers because they weren't old enough to vote. A key distinction that tends to get missed when recounting who elected politicians dedicated to civil rights, or Medicare for example. The absolute oldest of the boomers (those born in '46 and the first half of '47) would have been able to vote in the 1968 election and that's it as the voting age was 21. Instead it was the Greatest Generation who put those people into power.

Now fast forward to the end of 1980. People who lived through Depression and fought WWII are late 50's to mid 70's. Life expectancy wasn't as long back then and they start to lose their grip on the electorate. Who steps in? Silent Generation loons and older Baby Boomers thus ushering a couple of decades of conservative stupidity dedicated to pleasing self-entitled whiners. Perhaps we're at the forefront of another generational change, but really, collectively your generation has basically stolen everything that wasn't nailed down.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Reason 1098 why this administration is trash

http://thehill.com/homenews/390091-c...utors-withheld

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    The bolded part actually isn't true. If you think about the social change of the 60's and the voters who put progressives in power back then, none of them were Baby Boomers because they weren't old enough to vote. A key distinction that tends to get missed when recounting who elected politicians dedicated to civil rights, or Medicare for example. The absolute oldest of the boomers (those born in '46 and the first half of '47) would have been able to vote in the 1968 election and that's it as the voting age was 21. Instead it was the Greatest Generation who put those people into power.

Now fast forward to the end of 1980. People who lived through Depression and fought WWII are late 50's to mid 70's. Life expectancy wasn't as long back then and they start to lose their grip on the electorate. Who steps in? Silent Generation loons and older Baby Boomers thus ushering a couple of decades of conservative stupidity dedicated to pleasing self-entitled whiners. Perhaps we're at the forefront of another generational change, but really, collectively your generation has basically stolen everything that wasn't nailed down.
    The generation that gave birth to "bloomers" went through a decade-long depression then world war II in their early adulthood. I can completely understand whey they wanted the predictable security of a job with The Company, new appliances, and a white picket fence. In a world run by white men--the Golden Age Trump promised.

Although boomers may not have voted until the late 60s and were not the ones passing the laws, they played a huge role in moving the discussion. Forcing it, in may instances.

And I don't think boomers were forcing the issues in the late 60s because there was something special about them any more than there was something special about the prior generation. We are a product of our times. That doesn't mean we don't accept responsibility. As I said above, boomers, including me, have contributed to some very serious financial problems in this country.

Yep, still here

We're going to need an amendment to deal with excessive pardons. This is getting stupid. At least everyone else waited until they were leaving to abuse it so it didn't constantly make the news.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    My guess is Ivanka has stock in a competing countries car company...
    This smells of the 2008 banking/mortgage fallout. There are people who profited richly from the fallout by holding onto the right cards.

Trump family tanks the global economy, ???, Profit!
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

Classic "What About..." from conservatives: Calling for the View and Jimmy Kimmel to be cancelled because Roseanne was cancelled. "What about the View? Why hasn't Joy Behar been fired?"

I didn't realize picking on Donald Trump qualified as hate speech.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Might be his most ridiculous pardon yet. I've never seen a President use his pardon authority in this manner.
    CNN says Martha Stewart and Rod Blagojevich are next.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    He’s on a roll today. We are slapping the tariff on steel and aluminum from Canada, Mexico and the EU
    Regarding the tariffs: Canada has immediately retaliated by placing tariffs on US Imported items (dollar for dollar) on US Steel, US aluminum, beer kegs, whiskeys, toilet paper, hair spray, and other US based products.

Side note, why can't we have a president like Justin Trudeau? Oh, right, we did with Obama, and people like Trump are racist d*ckbags.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

And I don't think boomers were forcing the issues in the late 60s because there was something special about them any more than there was something special about the prior generation. We are a product of our times. That doesn't mean we don't accept responsibility. As I said above, boomers, including me, have contributed to some very serious financial problems in this country.
    Boomers don't exist.

Generations don't exist.

People really need to get over that.

Time is a river, it's not a NASCAR race. And the only differences between people born in different years are by definition external and cultural, so they deserve neither credit nor blame for them, so even single year -- or month -- or day cohorts, while they exist, are meaningless.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Huh.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    CNN says Martha Stewart and Rod Blagojevich are next.
    So basically all of the reality show people. Got it.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    We're going to need an amendment to deal with excessive pardons. This is getting stupid. At least everyone else waited until they were leaving to abuse it so it didn't constantly make the news.
    Or, they didn't.

https://www.justice.gov/pardon/cleme...istics#clinton
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

RIP Liberalism 6/27/2018 ScoobyDoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    You gotta be rich, or famous. That's required.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Specifically, you have to have either been kind to, said kind things about Donald, and have appeared on Celebrity Apprentice.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

If you look at that link that I posted a few posts ago, look at the volume of petitions for pardon or clemency that have flooded into the Trump administration compared with past presidents. It's pretty obvious that people view Trump as a wild card and that he might just be willing to grant clemency to just about anyone.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Boomers don't exist.

Generations don't exist.

People really need to get over that.

Time is a river, it's not a NASCAR race. And the only differences between people born in different years are by definition external and cultural, so they deserve neither credit nor blame for them, so even single year -- or month -- or day cohorts, while they exist, are meaningless.
    Demographic bubbles certainly exist. And we've had this discussion before, but I'd like to think that if the individuals who make up the boomer generation and the individuals who make up the millennial generation switched places in time, the outcomes would be different. Everyone's a product of their time, but they also influence their times as well.

In other words, I don't want to think the election of Reagan was always destined to happen.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Republicans.

Not people.
    And spurned Bernie bro’s

Thread Information