Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.34: Spy Gate. No Spy. No Gate.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    To be fair, Hillary doesn't belong with them, either.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Freedom's just another word for using each to keep the other at bay.
      I thought that freedom meant that there was nothing less to lose. And that's what Bobby left you. No?
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Hey... I was surprised as anyone that he didn't turn out to be the little sh-t in that family.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          I thought that freedom meant that there was nothing less to lose. And that's what Bobby left you. No?
          Yes. 50 years ago today.

Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            My point is/was that when Scooby and others say that they'd rather live somewhere else, I don't believe them. It's as simple as that.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure I'm right, if for no other reason than the immediate responses that I received. The "don't you dare try to kick me out of this country" response (I'm not asking anyone to leave, that was brought up by you guys) followed by the plethora of excuses as to why it would be too difficult.

But Handy let me ask you this. Do you think Scooby is a good parent? My guess is he's a great parent. I certainly have no reason to believe otherwise based upon what I know of him. That likely holds true for others here who have talked about their kids, like Slap, Kep and so on.

Both you and Scooby indicated that they'd be crazy to leave if they had a family. But don't you think that if Scooby really believed this country was a dangerous or horrible place to live, that if he really believed this country is on its way to nazi Germany status, that if he really believed there were better educational, economic and living conditions elsewhere for both him and his family, that he would pretty much walk through he!! to make that happen for his family?

I think he would. The fact that he isn't, and won't, pretty much confirms for me that the whole "geez I wished I lived in another country" shtick is just that. Just another method of biatching and whining.
            This is an incredibly black and white view of some very gray issues. I'll speak for myself, but I think Scoob and "others" would agree with a lot of this. There are several places I would rather live, if I could easily relocate myself and my family with very low barriers to some basic things like employment. That doesn't mean I don't like it here, it means that there are other places I would have a slight preference for. A slight preference is not the same as people who will literally risk their lives to escape war/poverty/famine/oppression/genocide etc. The fact is that while there are places I would prefer, it isn't a strong enough preference at this point to act on it. You just don't "walk through he!!" for that, but that doesn't mean that there aren't better educational, economic and living conditions out there (Hint: There literally are, this isn't even debatable despite you seeming to deny their existence). That doesn't mean that preference doesn't exist. Your basic premise seems to be "Leave or ST FU," and to that I say FU.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
              This is an incredibly black and white view of some very gray issues. I'll speak for myself, but I think Scoob and "others" would agree with a lot of this. There are several places I would rather live, if I could easily relocate myself and my family with very low barriers to some basic things like employment. That doesn't mean I don't like it here, it means that there are other places I would have a slight preference for. A slight preference is not the same as people who will literally risk their lives to escape war/poverty/famine/oppression/genocide etc. The fact is that while there are places I would prefer, it isn't a strong enough preference at this point to act on it. You just don't "walk through he!!" for that, but that doesn't mean that there aren't better educational, economic and living conditions out there (Hint: There literally are, this isn't even debatable despite you seeming to deny their existence). That doesn't mean that preference doesn't exist. Your basic premise seems to be "Leave or ST FU," and to that I say FU.
              This is my view. If there was no language or employment barrier to Switzerland I'd move there yesterday. They have their orcs, too, but for the most part they keep the lid on them.

It's not that Europe doesn't have idiots. It's that Europe's idiots are not allotted the dominant place in culture and media that ours are. They're seen but not heard. I like my idiots silent and cleaning my pool. They can believe all their Thunder God / racial purity argle-bargle, I don't care. I just want the gatekeepers to do their job and keep the animals off the nice furniture.

People walk through hell to get to the US because THEY'RE IN HELL. I'm not sure we want our American claim to fame to be "We're better than Syria!!!"

It would be interesting to know the net immigration per capita patterns between the US and the higher median wealth countries.
              Last edited by Kepler; 06-05-2018, 09:36 AM.
              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                None of the Eagles kneeled for the anthem, but that didn't stop Fox News from using a picture of Ertz kneeling during prayer for their story.
                And they had one kneel in the preseason, but he was cut (I assume for being a shi**y cornerback and not for his beliefs). As I linked earlier, zero members of last seasons championship team kneeled at any point in the regular or post season.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  You are missing the whole point. Nobody wants to leave. We're just saying it's awful having to share this place with... well, you know.

But you're correct in saying it's not precise to say "I'd rather live in x." It may well be better to live in x, but I'd rather we stay here and take out the trash.
                  I’m sure they would say the same about you. The fundamental problem is both groups don’t understand each other. It takes all sorts to make the country successful.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    I’m sure they would say the same about you. The fundamental problem is both groups don’t understand each other. It takes all sorts to make the country successful.
                    If we all followed the golden rule there would be no issues. But, the right has thrown out that rule for their own zealotry. Once they get back to it we can have normal political discourse again.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Another fire truck in the endless parade of meaningless, misleading equivalencies.

Comment

The fundamental issue has nothing to do with understanding one another, it has to do with understanding reality vs BS. Remember, people who watch Faux know less about the news than people that watch no news at all. And that is today's Republican party.

Comment

Oh, I'm pretty sure both sides understand each other.

For the broad majority both sides underestimate that we are working from the same set of values, the coefficient weighting is just different. Conservatives weight "freedom to" higher than "freedom from" while liberals do the opposite, just like always, and I'm sure that comes down to simple wiring differences and the influence of our mentors.

But there's a cancer growing on the right that has no left equivalent -- or in any case the difference is between millions on the right and dozens, maybe, on the left. And that cancer is big enough and strong enough now that the mainstream right cowers in fear before it, and A. Dolt Sh-tler road it to the White House.

These are not equivalents at this time. American politics and culture are way, way out of balance, with a moderate left and a radical right and then some moderate right cowards who fluff the radical right. The right loves their ideology more than they love America -- they will immolate America just to achieve their ideological ends. That's an existential threat to the Founders' vision. So, no, I'm not going to play kissy face with them, not that they would compromise anyway.

Conservatives of conscience should be fighting them even harder than liberals, because it's conservatism that will bear the stigma of these tin star fascists when the fever breaks. Have you met this country? It overcompensates. The backlash against the far right, when it comes, is going to make the 60s look like Fin de Siecle Vienna. It's going to be so overboard I'm going to have to become a conservative to fight the rot on the other side.
                          Cornell University

Comment

You have been trained well. "I don't like people telling me what to do so I'm disbanding the police."

And when the police are gone the criminals just walk all over you.

Oh, but it was your choice!

Government isn't the only enemy out there. There are always two beasts prowling -- the strong and the community will. Freedom's just another word for using each to keep the other at bay.

Democratic rule is the tyranny of the majority; rule by the rich is totalitarian plutocracy. When they reside in the same people, as they have been trending towards since Saint Ronnie, it's fascism. You've been wound up as a toy to burn with rage against one of the two forces which, if kept in tension, ensure our freedom by negating each other's drive to exploit us. By cutting the tendons of the former you are ensuring domination by the latter, and you call that "liberty" because the 1%'s think tanks and pundits have been churning out propaganda 24/7 for the last 50 years to turn your resentment into Useful Idiocy.

I'm not asking you to love my side. I'm asking you to take your first clear-eyed look at your side.

They are not your friends.
                            We're still not connecting. I'm willing to chalk it up to my lack of skill to convey the point I'm trying to convey, and leave it at that.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              We're still not connecting. I'm willing to chalk it up to my lack of skill to convey the point I'm trying to convey, and leave it at that.
                              I'm sure my snottiness isn't helping. But I did think I had understood your point. I'm just not accepting it. I think it's manufactured. But not by you; I'm sure you are sincere. You've just been weaponized by people who will hurt you and your kids, and that blows.
                              Cornell University

Comment

NYT reported that only 10 Eagles were coming.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/04/s...ite-house.html
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X