Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.34: Spy Gate. No Spy. No Gate.

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    IIRC the Supremes (the court, not Diana Ross and crew) have already ruled several times on unlimited presidential power and I don't recall the Executive winning very often.
    Presidents do really well on national security and terrorism. They are virtual dictators on that. But my god -- not being able to pardon yourself is a foundation stone of a government of limited laws.

If the hacks (Thomas, Alito) just want their guy to win they can hide behind "not wanting to enter the political arena" and try to stonewall the Court even reviewing Dumpy's tin star tyrant blubbering. But I don't think Roberts would allow that. He wants his wingnut court to operate by the book.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      I am not encouraging, nor condoning Scoob's leaving the country. But, if he feels that strongly, he'd act on it. Not just talk about it. He is rationalizing, and it's bullsh*.
      No he wouldnt...that would be selfish. The "Love it or Leave it" crowd think everyone is as self-centered as they are but we arent.

If I had the means I would consider it too but seeing as I already tried picking up and moving without a job, without a long term place to say and with only a single friend in the area and that went poorly (and that was in the US not international) I doubt I would do it unless everything was set. If I had a family...**** near zero percent chance. To do so would be insane and completely self-centered.

I know SJHovey thinks his point rings true because it tugs at the heart strings (people walk across deserts and such) but they are escaping death so such a risk makes sense. Us Liberals being ticked off because a bunch of racist, misogynistic d-bags are ****ing on everything America stands for doesnt mean we think that somehow parallels what most immigrants are dealing with so why would pick up and leave if conditions dont present themselves to do so? When you are escaping murderers and thugs there is less to risk. We may wish we could leave but I also wish I could cash in my 401k and blow it all in Vegas. Sure technically I could do that right now but just because technically I can doesnt mean I will or I should. The fact that some of you are even playing that card is ridiculous in its own right and it is not only intellectual dishonest but it is a complete and total logical fallacy. Even the straw men are shocked by how off it is.

Scooby isnt rationalizing nor is anyone else who is giving legit reasons they cant/wont leave. They are explaining how the real world works, outside of the ridiculous platitudes some people steal off bumper stickers and yell while drinking crap *** beer at a bar or tailgate.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        No he wouldnt...that would be selfish. The "Love it or Leave it" crowd think everyone is as self-centered as they are but we arent.

If I had the means I would consider it too but seeing as I already tried picking up and moving without a job, without a long term place to say and with only a single friend in the area and that went poorly (and that was in the US not international) I doubt I would do it unless everything was set. If I had a family...**** near zero percent chance. To do so would be insane and completely self-centered.

I know SJHovey thinks his point rings true because it tugs at the heart strings (people walk across deserts and such) but they are escaping death so such a risk makes sense. Us Liberals being ticked off because a bunch of racist, misogynistic d-bags are ****ing on everything America stands for doesnt mean we think that somehow parallels what most immigrants are dealing with so why would pick up and leave if conditions dont present themselves to do so? When you are escaping murderers and thugs there is less to risk. We may wish we could leave but I also wish I could cash in my 401k and blow it all in Vegas. Sure technically I could do that right now but just because technically I can doesnt mean I will or I should. The fact that some of you are even playing that card is ridiculous in its own right and it is not only intellectual dishonest but it is a complete and total logical fallacy. Even the straw men are shocked by how off it is.

Scooby isnt rationalizing nor is anyone else who is giving legit reasons they cant/wont leave. They are explaining how the real world works, outside of the ridiculous platitudes some people steal off bumper stickers and yell while drinking crap *** beer at a bar or tailgate.
        Well said.

But even more importantly, the Wheel of Fortune will turn again -- the sooner the harder we push it -- and the bilious toxins who currently hold political sway will be out, and we will begin to repair the damage to the country. It is our country, not those termites'. You don't abandon your house when it's infested, you fumigate.

There is nothing wrong with America that getting rid of the orcs won't cure.
        Last edited by Kepler; 06-05-2018, 01:40 AM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          It's just the opposite. A day where Philly has more class than the President. This Philly.

The day this bloated, pathetic POS leaves office will be one of the great days in American history.
          only due to your rose colored glasses

philly is always the worst.
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

1. He's not inviting a NFL team to the White House unless Brady and Kraft are there to suck up to. Period.
            2. I can't wait to see how great an "American" Ovechkin is when the Caps visit. Maybe they can discuss how best to worship Putin together.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Huh, turns out zero Eagles players took a knee during the regular season,.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Well he knows how to stick to a narrative...
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

My point is/was that when Scooby and others say that they'd rather live somewhere else, I don't believe them. It's as simple as that.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure I'm right, if for no other reason than the immediate responses that I received. The "don't you dare try to kick me out of this country" response (I'm not asking anyone to leave, that was brought up by you guys) followed by the plethora of excuses as to why it would be too difficult.

But Handy let me ask you this. Do you think Scooby is a good parent? My guess is he's a great parent. I certainly have no reason to believe otherwise based upon what I know of him. That likely holds true for others here who have talked about their kids, like Slap, Kep and so on.

Both you and Scooby indicated that they'd be crazy to leave if they had a family. But don't you think that if Scooby really believed this country was a dangerous or horrible place to live, that if he really believed this country is on its way to nazi Germany status, that if he really believed there were better educational, economic and living conditions elsewhere for both him and his family, that he would pretty much walk through he!! to make that happen for his family?

I think he would. The fact that he isn't, and won't, pretty much confirms for me that the whole "geez I wished I lived in another country" shtick is just that. Just another method of biatching and whining.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      You simply shut out people who don't agree with you. Period. It's uncanny. The same acts that the Prez does. And you're too blind to see it.
                      NO.

I shut out people who dismiss my argument out of hand with nothing to back it up.

Thanks, Handy.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        Well he knows how to stick to a narrative...
                        Lies like this need to be exposed repeatedly. Instead of having talking heads debate "what Trump meant" in an effort to seem fair, some Network needs to just have one charismatic journalist just call out these lies. And air it like a SportsCenter repeat. No editorials. No projecting. Nothing but "Here's example A, and reason X why it's a lie."

Take their game and beat them to death with the truth.

*edit* And no jumping to conclusions. Take a moment to make sure you're armed with the correct reasoning.
                        Last edited by aparch; 06-05-2018, 08:15 AM.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          My point is/was that when Scooby and others say that they'd rather live somewhere else, I don't believe them. It's as simple as that.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure I'm right, if for no other reason than the immediate responses that I received. The "don't you dare try to kick me out of this country" response (I'm not asking anyone to leave, that was brought up by you guys) followed by the plethora of excuses as to why it would be too difficult.

But Handy let me ask you this. Do you think Scooby is a good parent? My guess is he's a great parent. I certainly have no reason to believe otherwise based upon what I know of him. That likely holds true for others here who have talked about their kids, like Slap, Kep and so on.

Both you and Scooby indicated that they'd be crazy to leave if they had a family. But don't you think that if Scooby really believed this country was a dangerous or horrible place to live, that if he really believed this country is on its way to nazi Germany status, that if he really believed there were better educational, economic and living conditions elsewhere for both him and his family, that he would pretty much walk through he!! to make that happen for his family?

I think he would. The fact that he isn't, and won't, pretty much confirms for me that the whole "geez I wished I lived in another country" shtick is just that. Just another method of biatching and whining.
                          Who said we're Nazi Germany? I just would prefer to live in a society that believes in science, the rule of law, labor and capital are equals, etc.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I believe all that but I am not leaving. Your premise is wrong. You may not want to accept that and that is fine but it doesnt change the fact that you are, in fact, wrong. Your little passive aggressive insults towards him (and the rest of us) about it dont help your case either.

I get what you are saying, and in theory you have a point. In a vacuum what you are saying is 100% true. We dont live in a vacuum though we live in the real world. In a vacuum Communism is a great economic idea...in the real world not so much.

BTW even if we accepted the fact that you were right (which again you arent) leaving is still not the right thing to do. Those Germans that left during the rise to Hitler only hastened his grip on the country. There wasnt enough resistance because the resistance left. I cant say I blame them but all of Germany was the worse for it. The same would hold true here. Trump and his party ruining this country on a daily basis. You may dismiss that as hyperbole and that is fine but it is how I and many others feel. Talk to people who travel abroad they will tell you what the rest of the world thinks of us these days...if I left I would be allowing that to continue. I wont be part of the problem...

tl;dr: I dont believe America is the best country in the world. I think there are plenty of places I would rather live for a bevy of reasons. (Health Care, Education, Quality of Life, History...etc.) Just because that is true though doesnt mean I am going to do it. What I think and what is actually possible are two different things.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Lies like this need to be exposed repeatedly. Instead of having talking heads debate "what Trump meant" in an effort to seem fair, some Network needs to just have one charismatic journalist just call out these lies. And air it like a SportsCenter repeat. No editorials. No projecting. Nothing but "Here's example A, and reason X why it's a lie."

Take their game and beat them to death with the truth.

*edit* And no jumping to conclusions. Take a moment to make sure you're armed with the correct reasoning.
                              That wont happen...the people that would do it know they get better ratings letting Rudy Giuliani come on and make a fool of himself.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Assuming I am the "others," let me explain it in a way where, if you are sincere, you will understand.

I would prefer to have been born somewhere else, assuming I still get to be me (brilliant, cute, reliable WITH THE LADIES).

But, having grown up here, I am an American -- I miss it when I have been away too long. I get irrationally excited by baseball and the language of the Declaration and I am acculturated enough that I am an American.

And I want to stand and fight for our values against the small-brained, small-minded, small-souled troglodytes who have been undermining this country since 1980. You don't get to win. In this country, you have never won -- not for long, anyway.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X