Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.34: Spy Gate. No Spy. No Gate.

Originally posted by rufus View Post

Jesus, you really are an idiot, aren't you?

There is a process for declassifying stuff, even when a president orders it so. Yes, the president can declassify stuff. That doesn't mean he can do so just by talking about it. He still needs to order it through the proper declassification process.
    I won't argue with you; I'll point you to Politifact:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...y-anything-an/

We found broad agreement that a president, using powers granted by the Constitution, is able to declassify essentially anything. However, experts added that Risch’s comment was not entirely on point for the particular situation involving Trump.

In this case, it appears Trump didn’t actually use his declassification power before talking to the Russian officials, and just because Trump’s actions were legal doesn’t necessarily mean they were wise. These caveats add nuance to analyses of what Trump did.
    So, like I said then:

Happy about it? No.
    Illegal? No.
    Smart? No. ...

So fix the law.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Trump didn’t actually use his declassification power
      All you need to know.

Didn't use the authority he has under the Constitution before blabbing to the Russians. Hence, revealed classified intel. Hence broke the law.

Just keep making excuses for the man "you don't support". Wonder how intolerable you'd be if you actually "supported" him.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        I won't argue with you; I'll point you to Politifact:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...y-anything-an/

So, like I said then:

Happy about it? No.
        Illegal? No.
        Smart? No. ...

So fix the law.
        This is way, way more complicated than you would think. The entire power of the Intelligence Community springs from the President's Executive Authority -- in fact, from his power to issue Executive Orders.

You're entering metaphysical territory: "is a President so powerful he can create an Order than he cannot break?"

Ordinarily I would say let SCOTUS fight it out but the conservative Court majority is so ideological and so juridically unimpressive that I'd prefer they not break ground on anything.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          All you need to know.

Didn't use the authority he has under the Constitution before blabbing to the Russians. Hence, revealed classified intel. Hence broke the law.
          No.

You skipped the part that follows: "Trump’s actions were legal."

That legality has me saying fix the law.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            You're entering metaphysical territory: "is a President so powerful he can create an Order than he cannot break?"
            Can Congress make a law, in alignment with Executive powers, that can restrain the President's actions?

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              So Roseanne claims it was the Ambien talking, eh? And what do the makers of Ambien say?

Game. Blouses.
              Holy ****. That broke statcast.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

No.

Says an op-d using sources like Republicans, and other Washington think tanks where you have no idea what their political biases are. Yeah, sure, we'll just take what they say as gospel. Let's take it to the courts, and see what they say.

I thought you were the one who didn't trust the media?

Comment

No.

You cherry-picked a source that supported your view that the president is guiltless. Good job.

Expected nothing less from a Trump water carrier.

Comment

Can Congress make a law, in alignment with Executive powers, that can restrain the President's actions?
                    Yes. They do it all the time- they are generally called regulations. Congress passes laws, the president is tasked to enforce them. He/She can not make up new laws that they can then go out and do- for instance, he can't order torture, as congress has passed laws that restrict what the CIA is supposed to to. Even though the CIA is part of the executive branch.

How do you not know that?

edit- nice edit Sic. Take the post right down.

Comment

Dude, roll back a few pages.

I said there should be articles of impeachment drawn up for his blatant disregard of telecommunications security protocols (regarding periodic change-out of his iPhone*). I believe blatant disregard of national security process is a "high crime or misdemeanor" per Article II, Section 4.

Where are the members of the US House (that are otherwise calling for it) when this is clearly laying there.

To your other point, yeah, like it or not, once he declassifies it, it is what it is. Get the law changed is the remedy.

*At least he ditched the device with an unsecurable version of Android.
                      make sure your rep knows how you feel about this. They need to feel pressured to jump off the Trump Train.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                        make sure your rep knows how you feel about this. They need to feel pressured to jump off the Trump Train.
                        My Senator (one of them) is jumping ONTO the Trump Train.
                        Here I was thinking of voting for incumbent Sen Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND) instead of her opponent Rep Kevin Cramer (R-ND) this fall.

https://www.sayanythingblog.com/entr...-donald-trump/

The other Senator is an R and my rep is Cramer.

One guy running for Cramer's seat in the House is Mac Schneider (D), former center on the UND 2001 NCAA DII football title team.
                        Last edited by The Sicatoka; 05-30-2018, 01:27 PM.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I know the Tchump tweet was already noted but the follow-up is priceless. Neither one of them can stop lying.

Comment

Fun with the Dumpies.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

I know the Tchump tweet was already noted but the follow-up is priceless. Neither one of them can stop lying.
                              LOL x 1000

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

I cut Sanders some slack here. She has to roll out the company li(n)e, and the question was asked before Trump sent out the Tweet completely discrediting her statement. Again.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X