Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Atlantic Hurricane Thread - the Cat is out of the bag!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Thread - the Cat is out of the bag!

I know this is Atlantic, but watch out for Typhoon Mangkhut. It's currently predicted to have a direct hit on Hong Kong (sideswipe Taiwan) and be well in excess of the equivalent Cat 1. Could be a super typhoon on landfall.

These are very long-range forecasts but yikes.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      I know this is Atlantic, but watch out for Typhoon Mangkhut. It's currently predicted to have a direct hit on Hong Kong (sideswipe Taiwan) and be well in excess of the equivalent Cat 1. Could be a super typhoon on landfall.

Mookie is heading to HK in March after Australia. Not hurricane season then, is it?
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
        I expect this to be a busy week at work for me....
        Just go full Sun Country; cancel all flights and wish passengers a hearty good luck.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
        Twenty red lights in his honor
        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

A. It's not projected to be a direct hit on Hong Kong, but pass about 50 miles south of the city before making landfall about 75-100 miles to the west, and that's a 5-day forecast anyways.
          B. It's projected to lose SuperTyphoon status before it even passes the northern Philippines - 2 full days before it *might* get close to Hong Kong. If it does cross the Northern Philippines (a very good possibility), that will weaken it even more, and make the odds of a Hong Kong hit even lower.
          Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
          "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
            A. It's not projected to be a direct hit on Hong Kong, but pass about 50 miles south of the city before making landfall about 75-100 miles to the west, and that's a 5-day forecast anyways.
            B. It's projected to lose SuperTyphoon status before it even passes the northern Philippines - 2 full days before it *might* get close to Hong Kong. If it does cross the Northern Philippines (a very good possibility), that will weaken it even more, and make the odds of a Hong Kong hit even lower.
            A. Yes, it was. Maybe not now. Forecasts change.
            B. It was quite close at the time. Forecasts change.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

A. Yes, it was. Maybe not now. Forecasts change.
              B. It was quite close at the time. Forecasts change.
              A. Considering it's still 5 days away from being close to Hong Kong, that means it's just getting into the range of being the foreecasts showing that, and no official forecast showed a direct hit on the city.
              B. No forecast had it being remotely close to SuperTyphoon status while it was forecast to be anywhere near Hong Kong.

But please, keep explaining to me, who's been doing this professionally for over 25 years, how "forecasts change".

"It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

A. Considering it's still 5 days away from being close to Hong Kong, that means it's just getting into the range of being the foreecasts showing that, and no official forecast showed a direct hit on the city.
                B. No forecast had it being remotely close to SuperTyphoon status while it was forecast to be anywhere near Hong Kong.

But please, keep explaining to me, who's been doing this professionally for over 25 years, how "forecasts change".
                The one I looked at yesterday did.
                I think it was the european model. Trying to find it but this is the only ECMWF with previous runs that I normally go to. this was the closest model run to the time stamp.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/anal...8091100&fh=120

110-kt winds immediately south of HK. Sorry, I was off by 10 knots.
                Code:

Comment

Scott, it's a college hockey message board. The stick up your butt has a stick up its butt.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The one I looked at yesterday did.
                    I think it was the european model. Trying to find it but this is the only ECMWF with previous runs that I normally go to. this was the closest model run to the time stamp.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/anal...8091100&fh=120

110-kt winds immediately south of HK. Sorry, I was off by 10 knots.
                    One model does not make an official forecast. In fact, one model at 5 days is usually off by an average of 300+ miles.

Also, that's 110 knots at 850mb, not the surface. Surface winds are usually about 80-90% of the 850mb winds. Plus, a Super Typhoon is 130 knots or more, so you were off by 30 knots or more. Plus, that wind is not "immediately south of HK", its about 200 miles southeast of HK. But hey, you were almost close.
                    Last edited by ScottK; 09-11-2018, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      Scott, it's a college hockey message board. The stick up your butt has a stick up its butt.
                      The problem is, I've been getting this everywhere. People look at the forecast models online and automatically assume they know more than the actual meteorologists. I've had people telling me that what I'm saying was wrong "because the European model said this". That's great. Should I go into the doctor and get an X-ray and then tell him what I think is wrong, no matter what he says?

Comment

There's also this:
                        https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/anal...ind_26W_41.png

Which shows it at 110-kt winds about 5 miles from downtown HK.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                        Code:

Comment

The problem is, I've been getting this everywhere. People look at the forecast models online and automatically assume they know more than the actual meteorologists. I've had people telling me that what I'm saying was wrong "because the European model said this". That's great. Should I go into the doctor and get an X-ray and then tell him what I think is wrong, no matter what he says?
                          Pretty much planet earth nowadays. You can google anything. And if you can google, you're an expert. People tell me how to do my job every day.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Or you could just take it with a grain of salt because people on the internet have no impact on your professional opinion. It's a simple matter of Settle down, Francis.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

One model does not make an official forecast. In fact, one model at 5 days is usually off by an average of 300+ miles.
                              My exact quote was:

It's currently predicted to have a direct hit on Hong Kong (sideswipe Taiwan) and be well in excess of the equivalent Cat 1. Could be a super typhoon on landfall.

That's not at all what happened.
                              Code:

Comment

"It's tremendously big and tremendously wet."

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X