Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Atlantic Hurricane Thread - the Cat is out of the bag!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Thread - the Cat is out of the bag!

Remember though: the first advisory on what became Michael, IIRC, estimated a borderline TS/Cat 1 at best for landfall.

Comment

TS Nadine
      https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at...?cone#contents
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        God hisself makes the weather
        But DC City Councilman Trayon White said that the Rothschilds control the weather.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
          Remember though: the first advisory on what became Michael, IIRC, estimated a borderline TS/Cat 1 at best for landfall.
          Reminiscent of Charley 10-12 years ago which was supposed to be a cat 1 all the way, cruising North off the Florida Gulf coast toward the panhandle and Big Bend, but instead inside of 24 hours it blew up to a cat 4, made an unexpected hard right over Captiva and into Charlotte Harbor, then on eastward across the state. I've talked to a lot of people who thought they were going to be fine, but by the time it all changed and they knew they were in trouble, it was too late to get out.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Michael makes Landfall with sustained winds at 155 mph+. Gusts near center reported at 175mph+

That is going to be a real problem.
            Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 10-10-2018, 12:57 PM.
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              Michael makes Landfall with winds at 155 mph+.

There was so much buildup for Florence because of it's target: affluent regions of the Carolinas.

The ramp up for Michael has been deadly silent, with news articles popping up only over the last 24 hours, and most leading with "Local Sheriff Says Evacuation Window Closed Long Ago, Best Of Luck."

Speaking of, Agolf Twittler had this to say:
              "I say God bless you all," Trump said. "That's my message because that's what it is. The storm is there. It's sort of too late to do that now from the standpoint of moving."
              The President said it was "very sad" that some of the areas in the storm's path are poverty-stricken, adding again that many people are "unable" to evacuate.

"More than we would like," Trump said. "You have people that are stuck, they're just stuck there."

The President said the government has been helping some people evacuate, but he said others "don't want to go out."

"They will be ok," Trump said. "They are strong, smart, wonderful people."
              https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/tropical-storm-hurricane-michael-florida/h_f539cc605225c323e7f58f3c5bf630d0
              Last edited by aparch; 10-10-2018, 01:02 PM.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Also, even Jim Cantore isn't sticking around to watch this.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Josh Morgerman, also known as iCyclone and well-known world wide hurricane chaser, has posted while in the eye.

@iCyclone: 12:45 pm. Grazing the eye of #Hurricane #MICHAEL in Callaway. One of nastiest, scariest ******** 'canes I've been in. Lord. 947 mb. https://***********/iCyclone/status/...563904/photo/1

And he's been in some total monsters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    True. Although to be fair, Gulf and south Atlantic water temps have all been significantly lower than last year's Hurricane season.
                    Last years storms took a lot of energy out of the gulf. We noticed it very much when visiting Puerto Rico and st Maarten.

But not enough to help this storm, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                      Michael makes Landfall with sustained winds at 155 mph+. Gusts near center reported at 175mph+

God ****it.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Climate changes all the time. Michael is unique in *recorded* history. What happened 1000s of years ago we have no idea.

11am 928mb. Landfall around 2pm ET.

dx- Hope they're ok. Are they being moved further inland??
                        Thanks joe. Haven’t heard anything but I’m very worried. I don’t think they moved too far inland. Whatever shelter they were directed to.
                        Code:
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Thanks joe. Haven’t heard anything but I’m very worried. I don’t think they moved too far inland. Whatever shelter they were directed to.
                          If I recall from Irma last year, aren't they somewhere just south of Tallahassee? And if I recall correctly that area does have quite a bit of higher ground, so hopefully flooding won't be an issue. There is tons of space to safely shelter in the Tallahassee area and Michael is moving by the city a pretty good distance west, so I would fully expect them to be doing ok. The biggest challenge there is likely to be power outages for several days. Post Irma, restoring power took from days to a month+ in many areas despite a massive influx of power crews from all over the country. Hope all is well as can be with them.
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Not a relief for anyone directly in the path, but if you had to pick a spot for the eye to make landfall, Tyndall AFB is easily one of the best on the entire coast. Inland to the north is mostly farmland, while just miles east or west would be much more significant populations getting a direct hit. So there's that.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              If I recall from Irma last year, aren't they somewhere just south of Tallahassee? And if I recall correctly that area does have quite a bit of higher ground, so hopefully flooding won't be an issue. There is tons of space to safely shelter in the Tallahassee area and Michael is moving by the city a pretty good distance west, so I would fully expect them to be doing ok. The biggest challenge there is likely to be power outages for several days. Post Irma, restoring power took from days to a month+ in many areas despite a massive influx of power crews from all over the country. Hope all is well as can be with them.
                              Yeah they’re out in that area. Thanks for the kind words.

All we can do is hope and wait for some communications. Might be a few days.
                              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Yeah they’re out in that area. Thanks for the kind words.

All we can do is hope and wait for some communications. Might be a few days.
                                Not to compare and contrast, but it's better than Puerto Rico and Maria. We didn't hear from my MIL for just over a week, and thankfully, she had power back in 2 weeks. Others just a few blocks away didn't have power 5 months later. Even others don't have power, yet.

And I'm sure the Jones Act will be suspended pretty quickly, unlike the couple of weeks it took down there, too.

Good luck. But for sure, it's better than our fellow citizens on the islands.

Comment

Working...
                                X