• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mt. Rushmore of "but no Championship"

Marshall, Page, Eller and Tarkenton.

Comment

Do we define it by the best never to win a championship, or do we also factor in those that got real close? Sanders was arguably better in his position than Marino, but he never got fooled into actually thinking he had a chance to win, being on the Lions and all. Marino, though, would have it not for laces out.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

The more I ponder it the more I'm struggling with it: Which is worse?

Being an all-time great that got to the final hurdle and stumbled, didn't get over the top (Marino lost in SB), or
        Being an all-time great that never had enough around them to get to the opportunity (Sanders).
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

< wrong buzzer >

One per sport.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
            The more I ponder it the more I'm struggling with it: Which is worse?

Being an all-time great that got to the final hurdle and stumbled, didn't get over the top (Marino lost in SB), or
            Being an all-time great that never had enough around them to get to the opportunity (Sanders).
            The latter. Tis better to have loved and lost and all that. Marino can kick himself and have a beer. Sanders has a whole world to kick. That's gotta suck.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              The latter. Tis better to have loved and lost and all that. Marino can kick himself and have a beer. Sanders has a whole world to kick. That's gotta suck.
              I dunno. I think we can look at the fans to get a feel. Who seems more miserable and defeated, Browns fans or Vikings fans?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                I dunno. I think we can look at the fans to get a feel. Who seems more miserable and defeated, Browns fans or Vikings fans?
                That's the weather.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                  < wrong buzzer >

One per sport.
                  I know but I don't care about the rest. But ok...

For baseball the list is long and my list is probably too modern-centric but: Griffey Jr., Gwynn, Sutton, Killebrew, Ichiro, Dawson, Carew, Yaz or Fisk. S**t forgot about Cobb and Williams so maybe not completely recent.

For NHL Ovie I guess, Lundqvisk, Ruff (coaches allowed?) Kariya or Roenick?

For NFL non-Vikings Marino, Sanders, Kelly, Seau, Fouts, Dickerson...

For the NBA Barkley, Malone, Iverson, Ewing, Miller, Maravich, Dominique...
                  Last edited by Slap Shot; 05-21-2018, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Ovechkin did win a World Hockey Championship.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Where is the love for Jim Kelly? Four times, IN A FRIGGIN' ROW, and nothing. NOTHING. Name the last team, hell, ALL the teams in the major four sports to go to four title games in a row ever, then narrow that down to the modern era in each of those sports.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        Where is the love for Jim Kelly? Four times, IN A FRIGGIN' ROW, and nothing. NOTHING. Name the last team, hell, ALL the teams in the major four sports to go to four title games in a row ever, then narrow that down to the modern era in each of those sports.
                        I listed Kelly and the Yankees went to 4 straight WS which was also part of a stretch of 6 trips in 8 years. The NY Islanders went to (and won) 4 straight from '80-'83. The Oilers didn't earn 4 straight but won 5 in 7 years. And the Bulls likely would have been to at least 4 in a row had Jordan not "retired".

Comment

Jim Kelly (lost four in a row, played at The U before they became The U)
                          Charles Barkley (Ewing at least won in college)
                          Ichiro (if he is retired, won in Japan though)
                          Marcel Dionne (Ovie ain’t got his numbers)

And if I can add a soccer player: Taylor Twellmam.
                          Last edited by Jimjamesak; 05-22-2018, 04:04 AM.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

This. Page is still my all time favorite football player.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              This. Page is still my all time favorite football player.
                              Didn't he go on to be a federal judge or something insane like that?
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Didn't he go on to be a federal judge or something insane like that?
                                State Supreme Court in Minnesota.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X