Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    A lot of GMs just got brutally embarrassed. I'm looking at you, Garth Snow.
    Thus the title.

Re: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

I'm pretty sure anybody mad at Vegas can go suck it.
    It's not anger at the franchise necessarily it's Bettman. Vegas played the game well but I I'm not going to be awed nor happy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Well, the player pool today is significantly better than any other expansion team had available to them, too.
    The pool was better because they reduced how many players could be protected and there was only 1 franchise choosing from said pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    ... it's about the available player pool afforded to Vegas that no other franchise before them had. ...
    A bunch of scrub third/fourth line guys that teams were more than willing to offload and anchor contracts teams were hoping to dump?
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Capt
    The pool was better because they reduced how many players could be protected and there was only 1 franchise choosing from said pool.
    And just about everybody from that player pool that they selected, had essentially a career year.

Karlsson had 9 goals last year. Schmidt more than doubled his point production. Go up and down that lineup, virtually everybody vastly outperformed their previous seasons. Fleury did as he mostly has, same with Neal, but most of the rest played well above an expected level.

Yes, they had some favorable rules in place, but show me anybody with an opinion worth a **** saying Vegas was going to be playing in May from last September. I'll wait.

Yep, still here

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    I saw a quote today that I think was a fair statement- that Vegas was given more of a leg up than any other expansion team in any other sport.
    Combine that with some GMs making dumb moves, MAF, and a few guys having career seasons, well, here we are.
    The 90's expansions allowed teams to protect 12-16 players, depending on protecting on one goalie or two. 2017 was 9-10.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Capt
    Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    The 90's expansions allowed teams to protect 12-16 players, depending on protecting on one goalie or two. 2017 was 9-10.
    Did they additionally have exempt players from the 90's (1st/2nd year pros, for example)? Honest question.

I think that’s a pretty decent difference

Yep, still here

Did they additionally have exempt players from the 90's (1st/2nd year pros, for example)? Honest question.
    Yeah.

The other difference is probably the salary cap. Are a Fleury or a Neal available and/or unprotected if there's no cap like 1991-2000?
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Capt
    Yeah.

The other difference is probably the salary cap. Are a Fleury or a Neal available and/or unprotected if there's no cap like 1991-2000?
    Gotcha.

That's also a great point re: salary cap. Additionally, say they added 2 protected slots last year. How many players Vegas DID choose, aren't available in that scenario? I'm not sure that it would change a bunch. Maybe there aren't as many side deals (GM's essentially paying for an extra slot or 2). /shrug.

Yes, they had some favorable rules in place, but show me anybody with an opinion worth a **** saying Vegas was going to be playing in May from last September. I'll wait.
    Because it has never been done before? You've seen subsequent posts that detail precisely the advantages they had that previous franchises nowhere came close to having. Like I said - good for them for taking advantage of it, eff Bettman for allowing it to happen in the first place.

A lot of GMs just got brutally embarrassed. I'm looking at you, Garth Snow.
    The long long winter may have come to an end...

@StapeAthletic: Exclusive: Lou Lamoriello will be hired to run Islanders' hockey operations https://theathletic.com/363029/2018/...ey-operations/

Kings affiliate
    It's not anger at the franchise necessarily it's Bettman. Vegas played the game well but I I'm not going to be awed nor happy about it.

Bettman? You mean the owners...that's who Bettman works for. If the owners weren't ok with it...he really can't do much.

Capt
    Because it has never been done before? You've seen subsequent posts that detail precisely the advantages they had that previous franchises nowhere came close to having. Like I said - good for them for taking advantage of it, eff Bettman for allowing it to happen in the first place.
    http://sinbin.vegas/killing-easy-expansion-rules-argument/

Maybe instead of blaming Bettman or Vegas, Wild fans need to point the blame at their own GM:
    Here’s where Minnesota is deserving of some criticism: Why wasn’t Haula scoring 29 goals for them? Why didn’t they realize what they had in him, and maybe given themselves a reason to keep him instead of giving him away to protect someone else? Or, perhaps having a trade asset that could have actually brought them something meaningful in return if they had to lose him. Over the past two years Haula was getting third-or and at times fourth-line minutes for the Wild and still scoring 15 goals.

On a per-minute basis he was consistently one of their most productive players. Before you write off his 29-goal season this year as a fluke, just look at what he was doing individually during 5-on-5 play.

Kind of the same. The big difference this season is that in Vegas he had the opportunity to play 18 minutes per night instead of 12 minutes per night. Keep in mind that last year Minnesota had Haula on their roster and decided it had to trade for Martin Hanzal (giving up first-and second-round draft picks) and then gave him more minutes than Haula over the final 20 regular season games and playoffs.

It’s your job as a GM to know what you have. The Wild had Haula and wasted him, then willingly gave him away plus another pretty good young forward.

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Maybe instead of blaming Bettman or Vegas, Wild fans need to point the blame at their own GM:
    I’ve thought chuck needed to go for years. Probably gpl vs here where I’ve said more

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    The Wild are to blame for their current roster which says nothing about the advantages afforded Vegas never before provided any other. You and the other hard to read dimwit need to try harder.

The Wild are to blame for their current roster which says nothing about the advantages afforded Vegas never before provided any other. You and the other hard to read dimwit need to try harder.
    Agreed - their bad contracts are their fault.
    Would have been nice to be able to have the Vegas rules for their expansion draft though.

Capt
    I think you need a smaller violin for your pity party.

I have acknowledged (multiple times) that sure, they had favorable rules. But you keep failing to realize they all had career best years, which is WHY they have been as successful as they have. They probably regress to the mean a bit next year.

I think you need a smaller violin for your pity party.

I have acknowledged (multiple times) that sure, they had favorable rules. But you keep failing to realize they all had career best years, which is WHY they have been as successful as they have. They probably regress to the mean a bit next year.
    What pity party have I asked for? None (so gee eff why) and certain players having career years is irrelevant to the topic. The method for this expansion draft didn't just come into question recently. Try to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Agreed - their bad contracts are their fault.
    Would have been nice to be able to have the Vegas rules for their expansion draft though.
    Then you should have told Columbus to wait a year to join the league.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Thread Information