Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 509

Thread: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

  1. #161

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    22,016

    Re: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

    A reduction in season length might be a table issue sooner than later. The AHL, who for 80 years played 80 games a year, reduced their schedule to 76 games in 2011-12 (they also added a week to the regular season).

    When the Pacific Five joined the AHL in 2015-16 (Five AHL clubs owned by their NHL team were moved from the east coast to California), they held a gun to Dave Andrews' dog stating that they would only join the AHL if they could play only 68 games a year. * The AHL and their fellow member teams caved, allowing the Pacific teams to play less games per season than the rest of their league (including the two existing Texas teams who were lumped into the Pacific division).


    If the NHL owners are pushing for reduced games for their minor league owned teams, they're likely going to look at a slight reduction to the schedule. In a 32 team league, four divisions with eight teams each, that gives you four games against your division, two games against everyone else. That gives you a nice 76 game season.
    ďDemolish the bridges behind youÖ then there is no choice but to build again.Ē

    Live Radio from 100.3

  2. #162

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,460
    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    A reduction in season length might be a table issue sooner than later. The AHL, who for 80 years played 80 games a year, reduced their schedule to 76 games in 2011-12 (they also added a week to the regular season).

    When the Pacific Five joined the AHL in 2015-16 (Five AHL clubs owned by their NHL team were moved from the east coast to California), they held a gun to Dave Andrews' dog stating that they would only join the AHL if they could play only 68 games a year. * The AHL and their fellow member teams caved, allowing the Pacific teams to play less games per season than the rest of their league (including the two existing Texas teams who were lumped into the Pacific division).


    If the NHL owners are pushing for reduced games for their minor league owned teams, they're likely going to look at a slight reduction to the schedule. In a 32 team league, four divisions with eight teams each, that gives you four games against your division, two games against everyone else. That gives you a nice 76 game season.
    Math
    4 x 3 = 12
    2 x 28 = 56 = 68

  3. #163
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40,236
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Math
    4 x 3 = 12
    2 x 28 = 56 = 68
    Simple math

    Not so simple

  4. #164

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    22,016

    Re: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Math
    4 x 3 = 12
    2 x 28 = 56 = 68
    7 x 4 = 28
    24 x 2 = 48 = 76
    ďDemolish the bridges behind youÖ then there is no choice but to build again.Ē

    Live Radio from 100.3

  5. #165
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    3,517
    Quote Originally Posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    I, for one, enjoy spending evenings by the lake watching hockey, and having it help close the gap to football season.
    I can relate

  6. #166

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,460
    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    7 x 4 = 28
    24 x 2 = 48 = 76
    I am obsessed with 8 divisions of 4 rather than 4 divisions of 8.

    I guess I was on KRACH.

  7. #167
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    3,517

    Re: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

    No hearing for the Wilson hit.

  8. #168
    Capt
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm on a boat/TPAFL
    Posts
    12,476
    Quote Originally Posted by icehawk View Post
    No hearing for the Wilson hit.
    Give that knucklehead an inch, might as well give him a mile.

    Maybe Reaves will give him some knuckle sandwiches in game 2.

  9. #169

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,348

    Re: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Give that knucklehead an inch, might as well give him a mile.

    Maybe Reaves will give him some knuckle sandwiches in game 2.
    That's the thing. Wilson is just a little b-tch. Send a guy out there to destroy him and be done with it. The puss won't be back on the ice. He's a coward like every "enforcer" post-Riley Cote. Muss his hair and he'll cry all the way back to the AHL.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  10. #170
    Capt
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm on a boat/TPAFL
    Posts
    12,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    That's the thing. Wilson is just a little b-tch. Send a guy out there to destroy him and be done with it. The puss won't be back on the ice. He's a coward like every "enforcer" post-Riley Cote. Muss his hair and he'll cry all the way back to the AHL.
    See, Wilson actually has some skill. Not Marchand level, but Wilson ain't just a big orange goon.

    Unfortunately he does stupid, semi dangerous stuff like last night, and it happens a bit too often. Then the league just slaps him on the wrist and says Bad Tom, stop that.

    I don't think there would have been outrage for a fine, probably not much for a single game either.

  11. #171
    Hupamone
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,721

    Re: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

    Quote Originally Posted by icehawk View Post
    No hearing for the Wilson hit.
    Geez, I thought Marchessault would get at least three games for using his shoulder to hit Wilson in the stick and fists.
    Eight. ....with a design on nine.

  12. #172

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,348

    Re: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    See, Wilson actually has some skill. Not Marchand level, but Wilson ain't just a big orange goon.
    Ulf Samuelsson had talent, too. That didn't keep him from being a little b-tch.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  13. #173
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,277

    Re: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

    Quote Originally Posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    I, for one, enjoy spending evenings by the lake watching hockey, and having it help close the gap to football season.
    I think my problem is the older I get, the less I care about sportsball. Divide by about 50 when my team isnít involved.

    I used to watch every NHL, MLB, NFL, NCAAB, NCAAF playoff game and the tennis and golf majors when they were on. I canít even force myself to watch the vast majority of them anymore. The only things I follow with any sort of excitement are the TDF, Americaís Cup, Olympics, gopher football, and gopher hockey.

    I watch the twins as many times as I can get to the park, but usually read the recaps. Iíll watch the wild when I have free time and the Vikings for at least a few quarters a game. Iíll happily go to the games, even T-wolves. But itís hard because I just donít have the time to watch eighty gazillion games anymore.

  14. #174
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    28,841

    Re: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Ulf Samuelsson had talent, too. That didn't keep him from being a little b-tch.
    .
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  15. #175
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South Shore
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I think my problem is the older I get, the less I care about sportsball. Divide by about 50 when my team isnít involved.

    I used to watch every NHL, MLB, NFL, NCAAB, NCAAF playoff game and the tennis and golf majors when they were on. I canít even force myself to watch the vast majority of them anymore. The only things I follow with any sort of excitement are the TDF, Americaís Cup, Olympics, gopher football, and gopher hockey.

    I watch the twins as many times as I can get to the park, but usually read the recaps. Iíll watch the wild when I have free time and the Vikings for at least a few quarters a game. Iíll happily go to the games, even T-wolves. But itís hard because I just donít have the time to watch eighty gazillion games anymore.
    I think my problem is the older I get, the less I care about sportsball.
    I feel the same way.
    A bad cause requires many words.

  16. #176

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,460

    Re: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

    TSN's Rick Westhead is running a 5 part series on the NHL & concussions.

    https://www.tsn.ca

  17. #177

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,348

    Re: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I think my problem is the older I get, the less I care about sportsball. Divide by about 50 when my team isn’t involved.

    I used to watch every NHL, MLB, NFL, NCAAB, NCAAF playoff game and the tennis and golf majors when they were on. I can’t even force myself to watch the vast majority of them anymore. The only things I follow with any sort of excitement are the TDF, America’s Cup, Olympics, gopher football, and gopher hockey.

    I watch the twins as many times as I can get to the park, but usually read the recaps. I’ll watch the wild when I have free time and the Vikings for at least a few quarters a game. I’ll happily go to the games, even T-wolves. But it’s hard because I just don’t have the time to watch eighty gazillion games anymore.

    Same here. I care about my teams and nobody else. When Fulham went down I took 4 years off from the EPL. Game 1 of the Final was the first NHL game, even including the Isles, that I have watched end to end in about 15 years. I can't stomach baseball unless the Metsies are "playing," or whatever Lovecraftian verb you want to use, and when Seattle won the SB I basically took my 40 years of fandom, put a cherry on top, and retired from the NFL. I still watch Notre Dame on Saturdays but that's basically an homage to my dead father. I did not watch even a minute of March Madness this year.

    My interest in sports is dying. The only event I can really get it up for anymore is the Winter Olympics, and even that is down to about 9 events.

    But... I'm undiminished for college hockey. I'll even watch some crappy who cares Minnesota-Michigan late night game. That is still fun and hopefully always will be. But it's also all about the connections I've made over the years with you jerks.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-30-2018 at 07:58 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  18. #178
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    30,158

    Re: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

    I don't think this is a sign of sports itself dying (if that's even being alluded to) but rather a sign of changes in priorities. My dad had season tickets to the Vikings and he stopped regularly caring in his 50's. When it happened I thought he was crazy because I (early 20's) was still OMGZTEHNFL!!! at the time. He's still a fan of them as well as the Twins and Gophers but even retired he has better things to do than give them regular attention.

    Gophers hockey and football are the only sports I regularly go out of my way to watch (consider the time difference for me and the difficulty of access). Following the Vikings is easier here but I only watched 1 game start to finish last season and they were a playoff team.

  19. #179

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,348

    Re: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I don't think this is a sign of sports itself dying
    I don't either. It's I who's dying. Sports will be fine as long as 20-something boys are being plopped off the conveyor belt.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  20. #180
    Capt
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm on a boat/TPAFL
    Posts
    12,476

    Re: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

    About to head down to Ft. Myers (well, Estero), for game 3 of the Kelly Cup Final. Florida Everblades and the Colorado Eagles (defending champion).

    Should be fun, recognized a few names of former college guys.

    Fun fact: The Everblades are in their 20th season of existence. They've never finished a season with a losing record. (Go ahead and grind those gears, Kep! Hockey is successful on the gulf coast side of Florida!)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •