No announcement yet.

Transfers thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For D1 I like requiring in-conference transfers to sit out a year, but I'm fine with not having to sit out if you transfer to a different conference. I think all women's hockey conferences should adapt a policy that requires in-conference transfers to sit out a year, but let them play right away if they transfer to another conference. Then it would be one consistent, easy to understand policy across the board.

Comment

Re: Transfers thread

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      This is really pathetic, even for you. You intentionally edited out "society wide," changing the character of my comment. Nowhere in my posts do I express personal disapproval of any of the transferring students.
      So, your defense is that your comment had nothing whatsoever to do with the actual subject of the thread and was just included for no real reason? Color me deeply skeptical about that. It looks like an attempt to dodge the obvious meaning of what you meant, which is that the loyalty of athletes that transfer is suspect. Worth noting is that that sentence was not the only mention of loyalty in the post I quoted. There was also, "Immediate play transfers also rub me the wrong way. It's yet another case where individual self-interest takes absolute priority over "old fashioned" values like loyalty."

You are very clearly implicating the loyalty of the athletes, and are now misrepresenting your statements in order to backtrack.

A fair reading of my posts? Mostly musings about the rights and wrongs of the situation, trying to see the issue from all sides. Consciously non-judgmental.
      That isn't how they read at all. If you want to be perceived as non-judgmental, then you really need to avoid making obviously judgmental comments about loyalty. If you want to be perceived as non-judgmental, then don't judge someone as being motivated by self-interest.

Says the poster who disapproves of personal attacks. At least you stopped short of demanding I head to a nursing home.
      Oddly enough, I never said that I disapprove of personal attacks. Whether I disapprove of specific personal attacks depends upon the context. In my initial post, I implied that I object to people taking it personally when an athlete decides to transfer. That isn't the same thing as objecting to a personal attack. After that, my objection was to you trying to pass off what are clearly personal attacks as being something else. I do also think that the personal attacks that you made are also inappropriate, but your denial that that's what they are was what I focused on.

Once again, you've distorted my comments beyond recognition. Passing judgment? I specifically said that: Those of us "outside of the room" don't need to know all of the reasons behind a transfer. But hey -- don't let accuracy stand in the way of knocking over the straw man.
      Again, you are selectively quoting yourself, and ignoring that parts that don't fit with the story you are now trying to tell.

The funny thing is, there's little reason for you to play dirty. Yes, in the WCHA, we require in-conference transfer students to sit out one season. Perhaps that one exception annoys. But to the best of my knowledge, that's the only transfer limitation in Women's D-1 Hockey. For the most part, you've already "won" on the merits.
      My problem is not really specific transfer rules, though I definitely think that once a player has graduated with a degree, all claim upon that player's athletic services by the school from which they have graduated should be extinguished, and they should be free to transfer any place they wish to go without restrictions. If the primary point of being a student-athlete is educational, as is claimed by pretty much everyone, then it's hard to see what justification there is for not allowing that. Placing restrictions on transfers at that point is about extending the power of the school at the expense of the student.

The real issue, though, is in the attitude that a significant minority of sports fans take towards athletes. This is not limited to college sports, though it is most noxious there. Your invocation of sports as an "escape from the business world" in the context of a discussion about an athlete's obligations and holding them to a higher standard is a prime example. It ignores the fact that, for the athletes, sports is the business world. All of the things that you feel that they should help you escape from are an inescapable piece of what sports is for them. Your plea that athletes hold themselves to a "higher standard than would be required by most other endeavors" is a plea that they set aside their own interests in ways that people do not do elsewhere, in order to reduce the stress in your life.

Stop thinking that making sports an escape from the business world is in any way their responsibility, because it isn't and arguments that it should be inherently mean that you think that you have a claim on their behavior. If you want sports to play that role in your life, then it is up to you to extract it.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        I typically only recognize soccer as a conditioning tool for hockey
        The endless footwork in soccer can be of great benefit for those hockey goaltenders who play both sports.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

The funny thing is, there's little reason for you to play dirty. Yes, in the WCHA, we require in-conference transfer students to sit out one season. Perhaps that one exception annoys. But to the best of my knowledge, that's the only transfer limitation in Women's D-1 Hockey. For the most part, you've already "won" on the merits.
          AS someone who knows little about the national landscape of women's college hockey. I think the thing that annoys the above poster is this: SOME LITTLE D3 SCHOOL WHO PLAYS UP TO D1 IN BOTH MEN'S AND WOMEN'S HOCKEY HAS RECENTLY HAD GREAT SUCCESS ON THE NATIONAL STAGE IN WOMEN'S HOCKEY. THE BIG BOY SCHOOLS AND THE FOLLOWERS DON'T LIKE IT. THEREFORE, THOSE FOLLOWERS FEEL THAT SOMETHING "DIRTY, ILLEGAL OR UNETHICAL" IS GOING ON IN NORTHERN NEW YORK.

Comment

One point that we're all forgetting, me included, is that a student who has completed her undergraduate degree at one school and then applies and gets accepted at another school for her graduate studies is not a transfer student. She is simply a grad school applicant at whatever schools she applies to. I'd say once a student-athlete has completed her undergraduate degree she has also completed her commitment to whatever sports team(s) she has played for and been loyal to through graduation at that particular school. She no longer owes that team any further commitment or loyalty. She is free to move on and do whatever she pleases wherever she pleases, without guilt or regret. Our job as hockey fans is simply to support her choice by congratulating her and wishing her well wherever she goes!

Comment

For D1 I like requiring in-conference transfers to sit out a year, but I'm fine with not having to sit out if you transfer to a different conference. I think all women's hockey conferences should adapt a policy that requires in-conference transfers to sit out a year, but let them play right away if they transfer to another conference. Then it would be one consistent, easy to understand policy across the board.
              Hockey East has this policy but the schools have the ability to waive it, as they have with transfers going to Merrimack and Holy Cross, which is nice to see.

EDIT: Personally I'm all for removing all transfer restrictions, but it's clearly good in this case that the schools worked toward helping Merrimack and Holy Cross start up their programs (as well as help the players who would get more playing time by transferring there).
              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatcard View Post
                AS someone who knows little about the national landscape of women's college hockey. I think the thing that annoys the above poster is this: SOME LITTLE D3 SCHOOL WHO PLAYS UP TO D1 IN BOTH MEN'S AND WOMEN'S HOCKEY HAS RECENTLY HAD GREAT SUCCESS ON THE NATIONAL STAGE IN WOMEN'S HOCKEY. THE BIG BOY SCHOOLS AND THE FOLLOWERS DON'T LIKE IT. THEREFORE, THOSE FOLLOWERS FEEL THAT SOMETHING "DIRTY, ILLEGAL OR UNETHICAL" IS GOING ON IN NORTHERN NEW YORK.
                More likely what's annoying the poster is a Winnie the Pooh character...
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

The transfer discussion is pretty simple! Nothing changes from the original recruiting decision once a player arrives on campus....the coaching staff has to continue to want the player and the player has to continue to believe that the school is the best fit academically and athletically.

In virtually all of the mentioned transfers, we know little if anything about the facts behind the decision...only speculation.

The scholarships for most teams (believe it depends on the conference) are one year committments and that is what is required on either side. Things are fluid from year to year in the world of college hockey and academics, so I have no problem with transfers...some voluntary and maybe some encouraged in certain ways by the team.

Players beware, the grass may not be much greener but these young players need to be happy to perform their best.

Comment

Originally posted by WH Fan View Post
                    The transfer discussion is pretty simple! Nothing changes from the original recruiting decision once a player arrives on campus....the coaching staff has to continue to want the player and the player has to continue to believe that the school is the best fit academically and athletically.

In virtually all of the mentioned transfers, we know little if anything about the facts behind the decision...only speculation.

The scholarships for most teams (believe it depends on the conference) are one year committments and that is what is required on either side. Things are fluid from year to year in the world of college hockey and academics, so I have no problem with transfers...some voluntary and maybe some encouraged in certain ways by the team.

Players beware, the grass may not be much greener but these young players need to be happy to perform their best.
                    And to clarify again, any players going to grad school at a different school than where they earned their undergrad degree are NOT transfer students.

Comment

I'm confused.

Do grad students get a fifth year of eligibility?

Comment

Originally posted by MND3Dad View Post
                        I'm confused.

Do grad students get a fifth year of eligibility?
                        No. They still have only four. However, some athletes, like Sauve, redshirted for a season, and still have a year of eligibility left after graduating in four. And, because athletes have to be enrolled over the summer in order to use athletic department facilities, they sometimes graduate in three years.

Comment

And to clarify again, any players going to grad school at a different school than where they earned their undergrad degree are NOT transfer students.
                          So this whole recent discussion is based on nothing?
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            Most of it, yes!

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Not really. Shelfit is expressing an opinion that graduate transfers shouldn't be considered transfers, an opinion that I happen to agree with, but the NCAA disagrees with us on that:

Student-athletes who have graduated are subject to the same release requirements as undergraduates and must have at least one year of eligibility remaining. To be eligible for the one-time transfer exception, football, basketball, baseball and men’s ice hockey student athletes must have been denied a scholarship renewal at their original school. If the student-athlete wishes to pursue a degree program not offered at the original institution, he or she is eligible for a waiver to compete immediately at the new school.
                              So, the graduate transfer rules are somewhat different than those for other transfers, but it's still the same basic framework.

More importantly for the purposes of this discussion, some of the posters think that these still constitute transfers.

Comment

Some unfortunate just tweeted they switched from one ugly maroon and gold team to another. Can't these eastern schools just recruit better instead of raiding the B3?
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X