Transfers thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Transfers thread

Don't have any knowledge of these players but it would make sense that if they both have graduated, as it appears, they have the opportunity to take their talents to Clarkson and make a run at a national championship for their swan songs in college hockey. (and get a year of graduate school). Not much of a chance at their current schools. No different than many professional athletes do at the end of their careers.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
      This question doesn't fit the thread title, but I'm going to ask anyways. Does anyone know roughly what percentage of girls actually get "full rides" to play hockey? On the team my daughter played on (at 19U) there were several girls that received some scholarship money, but the vast majority did not receive full scholarships. Any ideas? Just looking for the norm as I'm guessing 1/2 is closer to normal, unless you're an Olympic talent that all the teams are clamoring after.
      Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      My understanding is a school get 18 scholarships to dole out. So, a roster of 24 could mean 12 on full scholarship and 12 on half. Something like that.
      Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
      I'm not totally up to date on this, but many schools in the past didn't fund the full 18 they could of - simply a matter of school economics. This was typically the weaker/less committed teams. Vermont, Colgate, and Maine were a couple that I remember fell in this category 5 or so years ago. Regardless, I wouldn't assume that all schools are fully funding their scholarships available.
      I haven't requested the data for the 2017 yet, but I compiled the financial information available for for all the school's that sponsor DI women's hockey for 2010 through 2016. My spreadsheet shows athletic aid amounts for all 29 schools (including Niagara and Wayne State when they sponsored women's hockey) that reported offering aid during 2010-16. Of those, the 14 public schools reported how many athletic aid equivalencies were awarded each year, how many athletes received athletic aid and how many athletes were on the team, from which I added a column showing how many did not receive aid. On average 17.27 scholarships were offered each year by each school, which includes 14 times 5 WCHA schools gave out more than 18 athletic aid equivalencies as it appears there are rules that allow aid to students on medical disability or with exhausted eligibility which don't count against the 18 scholarship limit. For those 14 schools on average 22 players a year received some amount of athletic aid while only 2 players a year did not receive any aid.

For the private schools information is much more limited, but they do have to release how much in total athletic aid dollars they offer and I researched average tuition at each school and came up with an estimated number of athletic aid equivalencies each school offered each year. For the 14 private schools that offer aid the estimated average number of athletic aid equivalencies each year was 16.82, slightly less than the public schools. For all schools that offered aid the estimated average number of athletic aid equivalencies each year was 17.03.

By the way, Maine has had 18 full scholarships available to offer since 2010 and averaged 17.67 a year from 2010-16. Colgate has had an estimated 17.5 full scholarships available since 2010 and has used an estimated 17.43 a year from 2010-16. Vermont used a low of 15.41 in 2011 and high of 17.92 in 2016, with an average of 16.68 a year from 2010-16.

I hope this helps.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by RetA View Post
        You can add TT Cianfarano from Quinnipiac to Clarkson to the transfer list
        Official now....along with Sauve. I have to say these immediate play transfers rub me the wrong way. I might actually dislike Clarkson more than MN now.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          I might actually dislike Clarkson more than MN now.
          To ascertain if there is a hint of truth to your statement ask yourself this question. Who would you rather see win the national title this year IF it came down to a match-up of Minnesota and Clarkson?
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I might actually dislike Clarkson more than MN now.
            We've got a new fan! Welcome.

Comment

Nothing official yet, but supposedly junior goalie Jenna Brenneman from Clarkson to Penn State.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                To ascertain if there is a hint of truth to your statement ask yourself this question. Who would you rather see win the national title this year IF it came down to a match-up of Minnesota and Clarkson?
                M I N N E S O T A

Minnesota Minnesota Minnesota!

Comment

Official now....along with Sauve. I have to say these immediate play transfers rub me the wrong way. I might actually dislike Clarkson more than MN now.
                  And I suppose if the transfers were to Wisconsin they would still rub you the wrong way .
                  Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                  And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                  WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                  If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                    And I suppose if the transfers were to Wisconsin they would still rub you the wrong way .
                    The B5 has the sit out 1 year transfer rule unless your team shuts down like the sue.

Comment

The B5 has the sit out 1 year transfer rule unless your team shuts down like the sue.
                      Just to clarify, it is the "immediate play" that rubs you the wrong way?
                      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Both are graduate transfers.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Yes that is it. I don't think anyone wants to see an open season on players transferring willy nilly, that would be chaos and as a fan I like women's college in that they don't leave early to play in the pros. I like stability. In both these cases they are grad transfers, so it is open season, but I feel like they were poached away from their schools. I wonder what the logistics of the process is...do the coaches or players reach out first? The coaches know the grad transfer types are essentially free agents.

Comment

I don't know why you would say they where poached. You might want to ask why they didn't want to stay at they school they were at. You don't just decide to leave a school you have been at for 4 years for nothing. Although a chance to enjoy the ride if Clarkson is able to win its 3rd straight title would be a bonus. Going to be a challange through with the Olympians back.

Comment

Originally posted by RetA View Post
                              I don't know why you would say they where poached. You might want to ask why they didn't want to stay at they school they were at. You don't just decide to leave a school you have been at for 4 years for nothing. Although a chance to enjoy the ride if Clarkson is able to win its 3rd straight title would be a bonus. Going to be a challange through with the Olympians back.
                              I use the word poached because both were in really good spots to contend, to be major contributors to their teams without changing schools. I could see if you were on a bad team, had your degree and want to finally play for a contender. I agree, I'd love to know who got the ball rolling in both instances.

Comment

I agree, I'd love to know who got the ball rolling in both instances.
                                There does seem to be a real trend here. Probably just a coincidence.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X