Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.33: ""We're rounding them up in a very humane way, in a very nice way."

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.33: ""We're rounding them up in a very humane way, in a very nice way."

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
    Everything Trump says or does can be explained by:
    -What’s in it for Trump?
    -The ends always justify the means. (double meaning for “means”)
    -When attacked always hit back harder. (usually with alternative facts)
    Shorter: WWATD? (what would a toddler do?)
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45.33: ""We're rounding them up in a very humane way, in a very nice way."

To summarize.

1. Spygate - No Spy. No Gate.
      2. NFL - Shred the Constitution.
      3. Nobel Peace Prize - ROTFLMAO
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

I predicted it. If I can predict it you know how stupid the American People really are.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

tD jr is sniffing around for a book deal (according to the post)
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            So it's ok that his administration has barred the media from meetings that are supposed to be open to the general public, just as long as he hasn't arrested them?
            The implication of your question is that the administration or Trump has violated some sort of open meeting or sunshine law. I'm pretty sure that hasn't happened because the media would be in court so fast it would make our heads spin, were that the case.

Regarding open meeting laws, personally I am strongly in favor of them and I think they should be aggressively enforced.

Notwithstanding the way you phrased your question, I assume you are asking about Trump's practice of trying to punish individual reporters or news institutions who Trump believes have been unfair to him. The punishment usually takes the form of "banning" them from a campaign rally, a news conference, etc... If that's not what you are talking about, then you'll have to be more specific.

With regard to Trump's attempts to "punish" these reporters/newspapers, I have three thoughts.

First, restricting access to those types of events is not illegal. If he wants to hold a press conference in his bathroom at 2 a.m. and invite only reporters from the New York Post and Der Spiegel, he's legally free to do so.

Second, his actions are incredibly naive and stupid, even by Trump standards. Pretty much anyone over the age of 8 would understand they won't work. Not only have his "bannings" failed to bring the press into line, they've almost certainly had the opposite effect.

Which leads me to my final point. His actions at trying to discipline reporters or newspapers has probably had a far more beneficial, rather than harmful, effect on this country than we realize. I'd rather have an angry pitbull of a press, beaten and disciplined by an unstable executive, than the collection of coddled, fat and lazy poodles we've been saddled with, happy to regurgitate everything the White House spoon feeds them.

I believe when historians look back on this time period a hundred years from now, part of what will be written is about the reawakening of the American Press. An unhinged presidency coupled with new and exciting forms of publishing and reporting provide pretty good ingredients for a new era of reporting.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              Headline from WaPo:

Only a quarter of white evangelical Protestants think the U.S. has a responsibility to accept refugees.

The best people.
              "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me"- Matthew 25:35.
              I don't know who or what Evangelicals worship, but it's not Jesus.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Only time and talent will tell

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                  I don't know who or what Evangelicals worship, but it's not Jesus.
                  Keep going with Matthew 25. The ending is a doozy.

Christians tend to only be Christian when it’s convenient.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Christians tend to only be Christian when it’s convenient.
                    Not all, but most of them, yes.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      The implication of your question is that the administration or Trump has violated some sort of open meeting or sunshine law. I'm pretty sure that hasn't happened because the media would be in court so fast it would make our heads spin, were that the case.

Regarding open meeting laws, personally I am strongly in favor of them and I think they should be aggressively enforced.

Notwithstanding the way you phrased your question, I assume you are asking about Trump's practice of trying to punish individual reporters or news institutions who Trump believes have been unfair to him. The punishment usually takes the form of "banning" them from a campaign rally, a news conference, etc... If that's not what you are talking about, then you'll have to be more specific.

With regard to Trump's attempts to "punish" these reporters/newspapers, I have three thoughts.

First, restricting access to those types of events is not illegal. If he wants to hold a press conference in his bathroom at 2 a.m. and invite only reporters from the New York Post and Der Spiegel, he's legally free to do so.

Second, his actions are incredibly naive and stupid, even by Trump standards. Pretty much anyone over the age of 8 would understand they won't work. Not only have his "bannings" failed to bring the press into line, they've almost certainly had the opposite effect.

Which leads me to my final point. His actions at trying to discipline reporters or newspapers has probably had a far more beneficial, rather than harmful, effect on this country than we realize. I'd rather have an angry pitbull of a press, beaten and disciplined by an unstable executive, than the collection of coddled, fat and lazy poodles we've been saddled with, happy to regurgitate everything the White House spoon feeds them.

I believe when historians look back on this time period a hundred years from now, part of what will be written is about the reawakening of the American Press. An unhinged presidency coupled with new and exciting forms of publishing and reporting provide pretty good ingredients for a new era of reporting.
                      And yet his constant attacks on the press do more damage by turning the public against them.

When the press loses credibility, they can be as angry as they want. It won’t matter if they’ve been neutered. Trump continues to treat the NYT and WaPo as we should view RT, Volkischer, or anything owned by the Murdochs.

And before you reply saying the press did this to themselves, you might be right to an extent. But a sitting president doing what he’s doing is far more damaging and dangerous than anything else I’ve ever seen in my lifetime.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Maybe they will. Not that anything will come of it with this administration. And yes, open meeting laws. While you're busy making excuses for Trump, why don't you pay attention to what's actually going on, Re: EPA meetings about the chemicals in our water, and the report they tried to suppress because it would "be a PR nightmare".

If it were any democrat doing this, you'd be screaming from the top of the hills, just as Sic does whenever it's a Democrat.

When not, you're jhust another Republican saying "I am deeply troubled by these actions, But I wouldn't worry about them until people start being arrested".
                        Last edited by rufus; 05-25-2018, 08:37 AM.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Deficits don't matter.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            Deficits don't matter.
                            Correction- they don’t matter when an R is in the White House. They seemed to matter a lot to many in the eight years prior for some reason

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              If the entire horn of Africa wants entry into the USA, that's a bit much. If you're talking a few thousand, that's doable.
                              Here's where I struggle with that. For ~ 150 years (and hundreds more before that as colonies), we had no immigration laws. And the impetus for the first immigration laws was racism. And racism is still the impetus for most immigration laws today.

My ancestors weren't subject to a quota or lottery or anything, and I'd bet yours weren't either. Can you really tell me with a straight face that the Christian thing to do is pull the ladder up behind you and tell refugees "sorry, but we got here first"?

The U.S.'s best border security measures are the two massive oceans between us and the majority of the world. If a refugee is willing to pack up and use their life savings to get on a plane or ship to the new world, why in the hell would you turn them away?
                              Last edited by unofan; 05-25-2018, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Far as I'm concerned if you can get here you can come in. We'll figure it out.

The whole point of America is that it's a set of values, not a people. America is the sanctuary of the world for those who believe in the Bill of Rights and the Declaration and our principles. If you believe in those things and you were born in Kenya, you're an American. And if you don't believe in those things and you were born in Kentucky, then you're not.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 05-25-2018, 08:47 AM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X