Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The States: Why does Minnesota wanna be Kansas?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Jesus Christ, I thought the GOP was all about the Bible. How come they never remember Joseph and the 7 years of feast, 7 years of famine story?
    I think the Chinese believe in 7 years fat, 3 years lean.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: The States: Why does Minnesota wanna be Kansas?

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Continue.
      Must spread rep.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

From the MN Dept of Revenue:
        How much does the state have in reserves or "rainy day" funds?

Minnesota currently has $811 million in its general fund budget reserve. Just like a family's need to have emergency funds available for unexpected household costs, the state's general fund budget reserve ("rainy day fund") is an important risk management tool to reduce disruptions in state services caused by declines in revenue or expenditure increases related to national economic cycles. The state general fund also has a separate $350 million cash flow account - primarily to maintain sufficient cash balances during the year to manage timing significant timing differences in when revenues are collected and payments made.

The National Governor's Association and National Association of State Budget Officers recommend minimal reserve levels equal to five percent of annual spending. Standard & Poor's rating framework affords top scores to states with "a formal budget reserve relative to (one-year) revenue or spending that is above 8 percent." Prior to the 2014 legislative session, Minnesota's statutory maximum level for the budget reserve was set at $653 million was set in 2000, and was the equivalent of about 3.7 percent of current annual spending.

In 2014, the Legislature increased the budget reserve by $150 million, increasing it to $811 million. The legislation also set a target level of approximately 10 percent of annual revenues, permitted the target level to adjust to changes in revenues and created an automatic process to dedicate one-third of future November forecast balances to the budget reserve to meet reserve target levels.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          States can't run deficits. So they better have rainy day funds for recessionary times because their taxes will drop as sales and incomes drop.
          Especially true since a huge chunk of the state's revenue comes from sales tax. Obviously there are income impacts to a recession, but I'm not sure how severe they are compared to spending.

Code:

Comment

MN continues to be a model of how to get it right on a myriad of levels: Education, environment, business development, opportunity, arts, science, parks and rec, crime and hell even gun rights. I cannot wait to get back and if these ND efftards try to mess with it ill come looking for them.

Comment

Man, what a dump: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/cali...481770711.html

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                Average GDP/Capita in the US is $57,300, estimated, for 2018. According to those figures, GPD/Capita for CA is $67,873.

How does that compare to Cost of Living indices across the nation? Is the extra $10k per capita lost in increased housing costs? How is the money distributed? Hollywood and Silicon Valley must gobble up a lot of those numbers.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                  Did someone try to malign CA here?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Did someone try to malign CA here?
                    Not here necessarily, but with the way the right talks about it as a failing state you'd think they're in a perpetual state of Mao's Great Leap Forward and that everyone is required to house an illegal immigrant.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      Average GDP/Capita in the US is $57,300, estimated, for 2018. According to those figures, GPD/Capita for CA is $67,873.

How does that compare to Cost of Living indices across the nation? Is the extra $10k per capita lost in increased housing costs? How is the money distributed? Hollywood and Silicon Valley must gobble up a lot of those numbers.
                      Mean or median? Mean won't mean anything in a place with such a high Gini.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                        Not here necessarily, but with the way the right talks about it as a failing state you'd think they're in a perpetual state of Mao's Great Leap Forward and that everyone is required to house an illegal immigrant.
                        Gotta invite all ISIS members to cross the border so we can immediately give them a voter registration!

Comment

The growth, size and influence of CA is why the CA 3 proposal - to divide CA - is a very dangerous idea. Its addition of 4 senators to a total of 6 appears to be a field day for D, but based on the new gerrymandering, 2 of those would be guaranteed R. The problem with CA 3 is really twofold.

One, electoral votes. Right now CA is needed to help cover the bias in terms of the national electoral college towards Rs. If you negate 55 electoral votes by giving a third of them to the GOP...you've just locked in an electoral win for the GOP that might never be overcome. Two, the influence of CA in the US and global economy. When CA puts together legislation to encourage the environment or investments in new technology, CA spurs the US as companies and the US govt. are often forced to play along. State legislation helps moderate national legislation introduced by a congress that is faar right of the country. CAs importance is critical.

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

The right keeps talking about the higher costs like they mean CA is bad in some way. Higher costs in housing really means that everyone wants to live there...which means that that real people have voted that there is a noticeable better quality of life in CA based on pricing. So CA residents are spending increased incomes on quality of life. Not terrible. Saying CA is bad because its more expensive is like saying Amazon is bad because its stock is quite expensive but RJ Reynolds (Tobacco) is really cheap...CA just has better quality of life.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Richard Painter made an interesting claim on WCCO. He said that Tina smith is for the polymet mine and he is vehemently opposed to it.

I’d really like to see Tina smith come out against that mine. I’m disappointed she is allegedly in favor of it.
                            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Richard Painter made an interesting claim on WCCO. He said that Tina smith is for the polymet mine and he is vehemently opposed to it.

I’d really like to see Tina smith come out against that mine. I’m disappointed she is allegedly in favor of it.
                              I personally don't know nearly enough which causes me to say 'no'. But it seems like she has conditional support based on the state's stringent environmental hurdles. Here's her pov:

Smith said she's impressed by how far the copper-nickel mining project has come and said it's important for every stakeholder to contribute to this public comment period.

She said she trusts the DNR and the administrative law judge to review the comments and come to a fair decision and, if PolyMet meets their requirements she said she believes the project would benefit the Iron Range.

"I think that it's a good thing that we have these strong protections for Minnesota's air and water and if the PolyMet project is able to meet those standards then I think it'll go forward and that'll be good for jobs," she said.

http://www.wbng.com/story/37299196/s...umping-polymet
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Please. They don’t give a ****. They’ll destroy the environment, pay some measly fine, and laugh all the way to the bank after raping the boundary waters.

When’s the last time you’ve heard of environmentally responsible extraction? It’s like clean coal. It’s a fairy tail.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X