Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The States: Why does Minnesota wanna be Kansas?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: Why does Minnesota wanna be Kansas?

I say for the sake of this thread we just keep the Bernie talk in threads that are relevant. He isnt really a states issue right now outside of campaigning in them right now
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Isn't Vermont now paying people to move and work there?

That's kinda a state thingy
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        Something's really not adding up here. A range of 6.7M to 9.2M voters going from Obama to Trump (call it 8M voters)???

If that's truly the case, then Trump would have reaped some 69M votes in 2016 all things being equal. the 61M who voted Romney + another 8M who voted Obama but switched. Meanwhile Clinton should have ended up at 58M. The 66M who voted Obama - 8M who switched to Trump. In short, he would have won the election by a whopping 11M votes???

The actual vote totals were 66M Clinton (almost identical to Obama's #'s - I think she was 100K off) while Trump won 63M, almost 2M more than Romney.
        You can't do that math. You can't assume that Trump would have the exact same number of voters as Romney (before you add switching votes)...and you can't assume that Clinton had the exact same as Obama. There were individual characteristics like Clinton not have the same AA turnout as Obama and broader election phenomena like 2016 having lowest turnout in 20 years.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          You can't do that math. You can't assume that Trump would have the exact same number of voters as Romney (before you add switching votes)...and you can't assume that Clinton had the exact same as Obama. There were individual characteristics like Clinton not have the same AA turnout as Obama and broader election phenomena like 2016 having lowest turnout in 20 years.
          Don’t you get up in rover’s grill!! Rover will not be backed into a corner!!

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Rover:

I can defend myself. I happened to be in a remote part of the UP of MI with no internet for the last couple of days. There were people who voted for Obama simply because he was different, and not the same old same old. When the Dems put up Hillary, many of those same people voted for Trump because he wasn't the same old same old.

And thinking I'm a Trump apologist, you are a flat-out idiot if you really believe that.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

What Rover is missing is that black people didn't vote for Hillary. Especially black men.

http://www.cawp.rutgers.edu/sites/de...genderdiff.pdf

Comment

So last night a GOP rep from Alabama made quite an appearance on Who Is America. Yelling the n word and pulling his pants down.
                You don’t need to trick these people - they are that stupid

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  What Rover is missing is that black people didn't vote for Hillary. Especially black men.

http://www.cawp.rutgers.edu/sites/de...genderdiff.pdf
                  That ties into the misogyny argument. There are many spokes on that wheel.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    Correct, but this is taking that to the extreme. If in indeed 8M voters switched from Obama to Trump, that means Hillary found 8M new voters out there to vote for her. If that is indeed the case, most new voters are either young'uns or non-whites - the very people we've been told didn't come out for her!!! So that would mean we need a candidate in 2020 that appeals to Conservadem vote switchers, not young progressives who apparently did vote for her after all.

You've got to pick your theory and stick with it, because the one you posted and the "Hillary wasn't left wing enough" memes are in conflict with each other. Somebody voted for her, as she got within less than 100K of Obama's 2012 totals. I'm curious how you'd reconcile that.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Correct, but this is taking that to the extreme. If in indeed 8M voters switched from Obama to Trump, that means Hillary found 8M new voters out there to vote for her. If that is indeed the case, most new voters are either young'uns or non-whites - the very people we've been told didn't come out for her!!!
                      So that would mean we need a candidate in 2020 that appeals to Conservadem vote switchers, not young progressives who apparently did vote for her after all.

You've got to pick your theory and stick with it, because the one you posted and the "Hillary wasn't left wing enough" memes are in conflict with each other. Somebody voted for her, as she got within less than 100K of Obama's 2012 totals. I'm curious how you'd reconcile that.
                      First, u got the wrong poster. My position all along is that we need policy moderation rather than that of the D left wing, swing states are the votes that matter, that stopping independents from switching parties is more productive than working on those leftists who don't vote, and that Hillary's policies were not the problem...and getting flamed for it. Win through keeping the big tent and staying out of the way of Trump embarrassments.

Without tightly following the numbers...Hillary did come up with additional votes and not so much youth or minorities. But rather women, inner suburbs and west of the rockies. The election solidified the rural/urban split - but demographics? Women.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Where you pulling that from? I would like a source because everything I have seen shows women did not come out and vote for her. Hell she flat out lost White Women in the election.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          Where you pulling that from? I would like a source because everything I have seen shows women did not come out and vote for her. Hell she flat out lost White Women in the election.
                          This. What *** is this coming out of?
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

You're on the wrong path. We're not talking about absolute votes - but rather change from Obama's 2012 election.

Election exit polls. Clinton did better with white women than Obama, worse everywhere else - which is not surprising because he won.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Yeah the difference wasnt enough to offset it. Citation needed.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Original point: Obama voters switching to Trump was a primary reason he won the white house

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/cry...rs-were-there/

Yeah the difference wasnt enough to offset it. Citation needed.
                                Too bad. Being lazy often puts one in a bad spot.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X