Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The States: Why does Minnesota wanna be Kansas?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: Why does Minnesota wanna be Kansas?

Good. **** them.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Good. **** them.
      This.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
        This.
        This x9
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
          I love how they get through that whole article without any contact with the Stache. You'd think the former Iowa governor and current Ambassador to China would be someone you'd like to talk to for that...

Good Lord the Register had gone downhill. I like how to get local (state) political news I normally have to go to the Cedar Rapids Gazette instead of the Register.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
            I love how they get through that whole article without any contact with the Stache. You'd think the former Iowa governor and current Ambassador to China would be someone you'd like to talk to for that...

Good Lord the Register had gone downhill. I like how to get local (state) political news I normally have to go to the Cedar Rapids Gazette instead of the Register.
            I can’t remember if you have kids, but has your family ever considered leaving Iowa?
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              I can’t remember if you have kids, but has your family ever considered leaving Iowa?
              Yeah, but since the wife and I are both government attorneys, it's not gonna be easy. We're at the point we can waive into the bar in most other states without having to take the exam again, but there's still the matter of having to find two legal jobs in the same market at roughly the same time.

Plus my wife still has 2.5 years left before the public interest loan forgiveness wipes out her student loans. So she can't really go anywhere else til that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                Yeah, but since the wife and I are both government attorneys, it's not gonna be easy. We're at the point we can waive into the bar in most other states without having to take the exam again, but there's still the matter of having to find two legal jobs in the same market at roughly the same time.

Plus my wife still has 2.5 years left before the public interest loan forgiveness wipes out her student loans. So she can't really go anywhere else til that happens.
                You have the greater US problem in miniature: stay and fight the monsters or move and enjoy life. It's a legitimate dilemma and one everyone has to decide for themselves.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  You have the greater US problem in miniature: stay and fight the monsters or move and enjoy life. It's a legitimate dilemma and one everyone has to decide for themselves.
                  Or enjoy a lower cost and higher standard of living where we are currently. There are enclaves ("bubbles" if you must) of reasonable wealth and intelligence in every red state. Usually they're derided as Hipstervilles, but whatever.

As I explained to my Seattle friend a few weeks ago, if I were to move there (or any other popular blue city/state), my rent alone would be at least double. No way would I be able to afford all my weekend trips to other cities across the country.

No matter where you chose to live, you win some, and you lose some. You'll encounter a lot more self-righteous, privileged, far-left loons in Seattle than you will in Detroit, that's for d@mn sure.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    Or enjoy a lower cost and higher standard of living where we are currently. There are enclaves ("bubbles" if you must) of reasonable wealth and intelligence in every red state. Usually they're derided as Hipstervilles, but whatever.

As I explained to my Seattle friend a few weeks ago, if I were to move there (or any other popular blue city/state), my rent alone would be at least double. No way would I be able to afford all my weekend trips to other cities across the country.

No matter where you chose to live, you win some, and you lose some. You'll encounter a lot more self-righteous, privileged, far-left loons in Seattle than you will in Detroit, that's for d@mn sure.
                    Agree on the rent and the bubbles/pockets/etc. I live in a ZIP code that has been known for wealth (not quite Edina, though ) and found a pocket where rent was pretty low; also, this complex's policy is to freeze the rent if you've lived there 10 years (got locked in last year). I'm paying a hair under $1000 for an 825sq ft 1BR, with W/D, fireplace, and vaulted ceilings.

Newer places in the next city over, and newer places a couple miles from me start their 1BR rent at $1300+. It's friggin' crazy. If I were to find a nice place now, I'd have to definitely move much farther away from my workplace, I'd say about 20 miles away, instead of about 7 miles away. And I'd be in a hick-ish city; think: bro-trucks and 'Murica folks.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Agree on the rent and the bubbles/pockets/etc. I live in a ZIP code that has been known for wealth (not quite Edina, though ) and found a pocket where rent was pretty low; also, this complex's policy is to freeze the rent if you've lived there 10 years (got locked in last year). I'm paying a hair under $1000 for an 825sq ft 1BR, with W/D, fireplace, and vaulted ceilings.
                      It's cool. Most of us know 'Zata and 'Tonka eat plenty of cake, too. I used this to my advantage to make a joke on my MSP project a couple years ago.

Jealous of the vaulted ceilings and W/D. Fireplace is more of a "meh". Gotta clean that sucker every spring unless it's a fake fireplace (gas, or worse, electric).

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        It's cool. Most of us know 'Zata and 'Tonka eat plenty of cake, too. I used this to my advantage to make a joke on my MSP project a couple years ago.

Jealous of the vaulted ceilings and W/D. Fireplace is more of a "meh". Gotta clean that sucker every spring unless it's a fake fireplace (gas, or worse, electric).
                        I don't use the fireplace for that reason (it's a real one). The upkeep would be a PITA, but it IS a selling point. Wayzata is part of the new money for the western burbs.
                        The new apt buildings I was referring to (since you seem to know your burbs) is DT Hopkins and basically the Ridgedale mall parking lot. Hopkins is counting on a light rail station nearby, AND trying to lure in the millennial crowd. Hopkins was/is sort of an antique store-laden main stretch. They are updating their image quite a bit.

Edit: I learned REAL quick that W/D in-apt is a must for me.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

It's like watching the homeless on World Star fighting about who's classier...
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Moron alert: Wisconsin
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Moron alert: Wisconsin
                              No weakazz, mamby pamby, milquetoast coastie weenies here in the heartland. No sir.

Comment

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X