Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The States: Why does Minnesota wanna be Kansas?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
    I don't necessarily agree Scoobs. I recall reading What's the Matter With Kansas (a book that I didn't necessarily care for) but the author had a good anecdote about how his retired teacher father would nod in agreement while listening to Limbaugh attack teachers unions. Too many people sit out elections waiting for someone else to do the voting for them, or don't properly consider the Republicans are no longer the kindly grandfather country club types but instead Ayn Rand loving white supremacist loons who will in fact cut education to pay for tax cuts while they send their spawn off to private school where they don't have to mix with those "other" kids.
    That may be true in Kansas but that is one anecdote. There is a reason the Right rails against liberal indoctrination in our schools.

Now teachers don't all love the union but the majority vote with them.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: The States: Why does Minnesota wanna be Kansas?

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      It’s not so much a disdain for intellectualism as it is a culture of political nihilism. Plenty of people believe in paying teachers living wages, socializing health care and other liberal beliefs, but they also firmly believe that those things can’t be done because “it doesn’t matter, both sides are the same” or “it just can’t be done, people won’t accept it.”
      I saw a poll a few days ago that asked who should control Congress in 2018, and something like 20% of respondents said "don't care/doesn't matter", which is pretty appalling.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        It’s not so much a disdain for intellectualism as it is a culture of political nihilism. Plenty of people believe in paying teachers living wages, socializing health care and other liberal beliefs, but they also firmly believe that those things can’t be done because “it doesn’t matter, both sides are the same” or “it just can’t be done, people won’t accept it.”
        Free college, teachers get paid! But don't raise my taxes. That is kinda universal, in real practice. Doesn't matter the party. It's a NIMBY thing.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Yeah why would Helen Keller be important...or Hillary Clinton. But I bet they can learn about Jesus...
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Also, the GOP in Texas is ready to introduce another anti-trans "bathroom bill."

Odds it passes when reintroduced: slim to none, but gotta fire up that base, right?
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Top of the DFL ticket is doing well:

Walz +7
                Smith +9
                Klobuchar +15
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Did they seriously think Willie Nelson was a Republican? He has a marijuana business and probably partakes all the time
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                    Did they seriously think Willie Nelson was a Republican? He has a marijuana business and probably partakes all the time
                    Probably?
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Probably?
                      I LOL'd.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        I LOL'd.
                        People who smoke more weed than Willie.

"Who is Snoop Dogg?"

Comment

Working...
                        X