Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hockey East Tournament back to 8 teams for 2018/19

Made in the USA

Re: Hockey East Tournament back to 8 teams for 2018/19

Quote Originally Posted by boblav1 View Post
    Agreed. Now let's hope the rules committee doesn't come up with some crazy overtime format. I'm fine with ties and dislike the shootout. If anything increase the overtime to 7 minutes. I can't understand why the need to keep screwing around with the game.
    Some of the rule changes I can understand because you can easily exploit flaws. However, regarding the OT/Skills Contest changes: The playoff OT is still in the rule book. Although right now it is only for tournament play, you could put in an exception to allow that format at any time, and then have no ties.
    Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 04-26-2018 at 06:23 AM.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Some of the rule changes I can understand because you can easily exploit flaws. However, regarding the OT/Skills Contest changes: The playoff OT is still in the rule book. Although right now it is only for tournament play, you could put in an exception to allow that format at any time, and then have no ties.
    See Beanpot OT rules....

Holding court

Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Makes the regular season have a meaning again.
    "Make Hockey East Great Again"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
    If you finish NINTH, you don't deserve a post-season. It is that simple.
    no but you get a contract extension! #FIRESNEDDON

Made in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    See Beanpot OT rules....
    Exactly. And right now, any "tournament" could utilize it, although consolation games (i.e. third-place games) are not permitted it. I wonder if "trophy games" could be construed as tournament as well; that'd be interesting seeing one of those go four overtimes...

I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    See Beanpot OT rules....
    i.e., tournament overtime rules:

91.4 Tied Games - Tournament Competition - Where advancement in a bracket or the determination of a tournament champion is necessary, any series in a format (e.g., single game, minigame series) that results in a tie shall be broken by 20-minute, sudden-death overtime periods (Exception: See 91.3). The ice shall be resurfaced upon completion of regulation play. The teams shall change ends at the end of each period (except as indicated in Rule 90.2). In each overtime, at the first stoppage of play under the ten minute mark, an ice maintenance timeout of one-minute in duration will be administered. Teams may return to their benches at this time. Thirdplace games may follow the overtime procedures as described in Rule 91.
    Note: A tied game in a minigame series must use a five-minute overtime period. If the series is tied after the second game, a 20-minute minigame will be played after an intermission period. See Appendix A for complete procedures.

Since most games don't need to determine a winner it is unlikely the NCAA will change the rule to include all games. For some information on the change from 10 to 5 minute overtimes and how that increased ties you can read my post in the Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix? thread. Going back to 10 minute overtimes should reduce ties by about 20%.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

Made in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    i.e., tournament overtime rules:

91.4 Tied Games - Tournament Competition - Where advancement in a bracket or the determination of a tournament champion is necessary, any series in a format (e.g., single game, minigame series) that results in a tie shall be broken by 20-minute, sudden-death overtime periods (Exception: See 91.3). The ice shall be resurfaced upon completion of regulation play. The teams shall change ends at the end of each period (except as indicated in Rule 90.2). In each overtime, at the first stoppage of play under the ten minute mark, an ice maintenance timeout of one-minute in duration will be administered. Teams may return to their benches at this time. Thirdplace games may follow the overtime procedures as described in Rule 91.
    Note: A tied game in a minigame series must use a five-minute overtime period. If the series is tied after the second game, a 20-minute minigame will be played after an intermission period. See Appendix A for complete procedures.

Since most games don't need to determine a winner it is unlikely the NCAA will change the rule to include all games. For some information on the change from 10 to 5 minute overtimes and how that increased ties you can read my post in the Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix? thread. Going back to 10 minute overtimes should reduce ties by about 20%.

Sean
    This is true. I'm just trying to strike a good balance between those that hate skills competition and changes the rules of the game for OT, and those who hate ties.

Black Bear since D-2

Step in the right direction for sure.

Now, if they would just award their AQ to the RS champion... (Play the tournament if you must, but it should only count for the sake of further PWR data.)

there's a good buck in that racket.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Step in the right direction for sure.

Now, if they would just award their AQ to the RS champion... (Play the tournament if you must, but it should only count for the sake of further PWR data.)
    how's that hum hum song go agin?

"fvckin' stupid...
    fvckin' stupid..."
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos

Farewell and good riddance to the MBPBEGAM "playoffs" round. Dumb idea from the outset.

I'd actually like to see only the top six qualify, with the top two getting byes into the semis.

If it's the top six qualifying, there would be a good chance they'd all at least have winning records.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Ofcl Riverhawk Radio Meteorologist

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post

If it's the top six qualifying, there would be a good chance they'd all at least have winning records.
    That wouldn't have been true this past season.
    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
    That wouldn't have been true this past season.
    Seriously, and thatís all on hockey east at this point for not winning in non-conference. Considering how non-clutch the B10 has been we have collectively failed to cash in.

Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    Seriously, and thatís all on hockey east at this point for not winning in non-conference. Considering how non-clutch the B10 has been we have collectively failed to cash in.
    HEA teams also failed to cash in against Atlantic Hockey teams, such as UML vs Bentley, IIRC?

Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    HEA teams also failed to cash in against Atlantic Hockey teams, such as UML vs Bentley, IIRC?
    Hockey East had a down year by League standards...but they {HEA} will rebound back to a top Conference in the College Hockey world.

Ofcl Riverhawk Radio Meteorologist

Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    Actually, the Top 4 were the only teams that finished above .500 in conference games alone.

At the end of the regular season, the Top 4 and one of the teams tied for 5th were above .500 overall, and the team in 7th was at exactly .500.
    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    When did I ever say we werenít at fault?

This has been an issue for years and not just this year. This year we sucked. The end

Desk Chair Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Going back to 10 minute overtimes should reduce ties by about 20%.
    Want to fix the tie problem... only reward what you want:

win = 2 points
    tie = 0 points
    loss = 0 points

In that world nobody plays for the tie.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Thread Information