Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hockey East Tournament back to 8 teams for 2018/19

Re: Hockey East Tournament back to 8 teams for 2018/19

Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    That's why hockey uses standings points rather than the W L Pct format used by other sports.
    the traditional 2-1-0 point system is functionally the same as winning percentage, since ties are considered half a win when calculating winning percentage.

Anyway, ties are fine. I don't get why people get upset at the mere idea of ties in a low-scoring sport.

Veteran

I have no issues with ties in regular season games and a shootout does not appeal to me at all.

That said it appears that all/virtually all junior leagues that most college players come from have OT as 5min of 3v3 followed by a shootout, as do all/virtually all pro leagues that college players leave for. So if this is where all major North American hockey is going, besides the eastern half of college hockey, it seems to me that we should be playing the same game as every other relevant league.

Quote Originally Posted by Agganis View Post
    I have no issues with ties in regular season games and a shootout does not appeal to me at all.

That said it appears that all/virtually all junior leagues that most college players come from have OT as 5min of 3v3 followed by a shootout, as do all/virtually all pro leagues that college players leave for. So if this is where all major North American hockey is going, besides the eastern half of college hockey, it seems to me that we should be playing the same game as every other relevant league.
    PWR is your answer. You have to be able to compare Harvards to Omahas via a level playing field.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    PWR is your answer. You have to be able to compare Harvards to Omahas via a level playing field.
    An OT win should have to be worth less than a regulation win in PWR, probably 60-75%, with the OT loser getting the remaining 25-40%, or 50% if you want to give the loser credit for the regulation tie.

Shootouts and 3 on 3 are terrible ways to end games. Ties aren't a horrible thing people.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

(Comrade Fox)

Quote Originally Posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    Shootouts and 3 on 3 are terrible ways to end games. Ties aren't a horrible thing people.
    Seriously, 3 on 3 is an arcade game and shootouts turn the result of a team sport into individual performances
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

UVM record in games I've attended as a student:

Men's: 21-20-4
    Women's: 10-15-4

/r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

An OT win should have to be worth less than a regulation win in PWR, probably 60-75%, with the OT loser getting the remaining 25-40%, or 50% if you want to give the loser credit for the regulation tie.
    Then it's a 3-2-1 point system.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Then it's a 3-2-1 point system.
    Conferences can award points for league standings however they want. They currently don't follow PWR's home/away weighting or quality win bonus.

All Hail

I have no issues with ties in regular season games and a shootout does not appeal to me at all. That said it appears that all/virtually all junior leagues...[use]...5min of 3v3 followed by a shootout, as do all/virtually all pro leagues that college players leave for. So if this is where all major North American hockey is going, besides the eastern half of college hockey, it seems to me that we should be playing the same game as every other relevant league.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Just because the pros and their Jr lackeys choose to prostitute themselves in the name of entertaining the masses doesn't mean that college hockey has to blindly follow. And I wouldn't lose any sleep over the development of college players somehow becoming compromised just because they don't play gimmick tiebreakers.

We have a helluva game without the gimmicks so let's just leave well enough alone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    ...Ties aren't a horrible thing people.
    +1.
    Last edited by Split-N; 06-27-2018 at 05:26 PM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Stupid is as stupid does. Just because the pros and their Jr lackeys choose to prostitute themselves in the name of entertaining the masses doesn't mean that college hockey has to blindly follow. And I wouldn't lose any sleep over the development of college players somehow becoming compromised just because they don't play gimmick tiebreakers.

We have a helluva game without the gimmicks so let's just leave well enough alone.

+1.
    Spot on...the game does not need gimmicks as in 3x3 or shoot-outs.....still would rather see a 10 minute overtime but can live with 5 minutes and ties are part of regular season hockey....one change...Maybe??? is give 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for a overtime win and 1 point for a tie...like I said MAYBE...but the game gets too much tinkering and tweaking of late.

Veteran

Just because the pros and their Jr lackeys choose to prostitute themselves in the name of entertaining the masses doesn't mean that college hockey has to blindly follow. And I wouldn't lose any sleep over the development of college players somehow becoming compromised just because they don't play gimmick tiebreakers.
    I guess my stance is that at a certain point an adjustment to the game is not a gimmick but a change in the modern game. There have been many other rule changes for entertainment reasons that now no one besides the crotchetiest of grandfathers are against, like lowering the mound in baseball, adding the shot clock in basketball, or removing the rule against two line passes. All of these are substantially more impactful than an OT format change, as they impact every single possession, not just the end of tie games, and at one point were likely controversial but are now just an accepted part of the game that achieved their intended purpose.

Like I said a shootout does not appeal to me personally, but when every major league in North America besides the eastern half of ours are adopting this change I think 3v3 OT followed by a shootout is approaching that status.

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar

There have been many other rule changes for entertainment reasons that now no one besides the crotchetiest of grandfathers are against, like ... or removing the rule against two line passes. All of these are substantially more impactful than an OT format change, as they impact every single possession, not just the end of tie games, and at one point were likely controversial but are now just an accepted part of the game that achieved their intended purpose.
    I would like to point out that the NCAA has never had the two-line pass rule as far I am aware (and I spot checked NCAA rules books back to 1929). In fact, although the red line was introduced in the NHL in 1943 the NCAA did not adopt the red line until 1957 and it was only used to determine if body checking was legal. So maybe not the best example of a rules change that is now accepted (the elimination of body checking only in the defensive half of the ice would be a better one). The fact is that the NCAA has always had rule differences from the NHL, usually for the better in my opinion.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

I'm okay with ties and would prefer to keep OT 5 minutes because I don't really want the games to be any longer.

Also, the NHL 3v3 OT was implemented to reduce the number of games that end in shootouts. In my opinion it was a compromise to appease those that like the shootout and those that hate it.

Not having a shootout in the game eliminates the need to have 3v3.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    the traditional 2-1-0 point system is functionally the same as winning percentage, since ties are considered half a win when calculating winning percentage.

Anyway, ties are fine. I don't get why people get upset at the mere idea of ties in a low-scoring sport.
    Simple math

All Hail

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    I would like to point out that the NCAA has never had the two-line pass rule as far I am aware (and I spot checked NCAA rules books back to 1929). In fact, although the red line was introduced in the NHL in 1943 the NCAA did not adopt the red line until 1957 and it was only used to determine if body checking was legal. So maybe not the best example of a rules change that is now accepted (the elimination of body checking only in the defensive half of the ice would be a better one). The fact is that the NCAA has always had rule differences from the NHL, usually for the better in my opinion.
    Absolutely correct in all respects. Let's not forget that the NHL is a business and NHL games are commodities. Not so at the college level (except certain Power-5 football and bouncyball schools). What's good for the NHL isn't necessarily (and often isn't) good for college hockey.
    Last edited by Split-N; 06-29-2018 at 09:25 AM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Thread Information