Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East Tournament back to 8 teams for 2018/19

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    Shootouts and 3 on 3 are terrible ways to end games. Ties aren't a horrible thing people.
    Seriously, 3 on 3 is an arcade game and shootouts turn the result of a team sport into individual performances
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
      An OT win should have to be worth less than a regulation win in PWR, probably 60-75%, with the OT loser getting the remaining 25-40%, or 50% if you want to give the loser credit for the regulation tie.
      Then it's a 3-2-1 point system.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Then it's a 3-2-1 point system.
        Conferences can award points for league standings however they want. They currently don't follow PWR's home/away weighting or quality win bonus.

Comment

I have no issues with ties in regular season games and a shootout does not appeal to me at all. That said it appears that all/virtually all junior leagues...[use]...5min of 3v3 followed by a shootout, as do all/virtually all pro leagues that college players leave for. So if this is where all major North American hockey is going, besides the eastern half of college hockey, it seems to me that we should be playing the same game as every other relevant league.
          Stupid is as stupid does. Just because the pros and their Jr lackeys choose to prostitute themselves in the name of entertaining the masses doesn't mean that college hockey has to blindly follow. And I wouldn't lose any sleep over the development of college players somehow becoming compromised just because they don't play gimmick tiebreakers.

We have a helluva game without the gimmicks so let's just leave well enough alone.

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
          ...Ties aren't a horrible thing people.
          +1.
          Last edited by Split-N; 06-27-2018, 05:26 PM.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
            Stupid is as stupid does. Just because the pros and their Jr lackeys choose to prostitute themselves in the name of entertaining the masses doesn't mean that college hockey has to blindly follow. And I wouldn't lose any sleep over the development of college players somehow becoming compromised just because they don't play gimmick tiebreakers.

We have a helluva game without the gimmicks so let's just leave well enough alone.

+1.
            Spot on...the game does not need gimmicks as in 3x3 or shoot-outs.....still would rather see a 10 minute overtime but can live with 5 minutes and ties are part of regular season hockey....one change...Maybe??? is give 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for a overtime win and 1 point for a tie...like I said MAYBE...but the game gets too much tinkering and tweaking of late.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              Just because the pros and their Jr lackeys choose to prostitute themselves in the name of entertaining the masses doesn't mean that college hockey has to blindly follow. And I wouldn't lose any sleep over the development of college players somehow becoming compromised just because they don't play gimmick tiebreakers.
              I guess my stance is that at a certain point an adjustment to the game is not a gimmick but a change in the modern game. There have been many other rule changes for entertainment reasons that now no one besides the crotchetiest of grandfathers are against, like lowering the mound in baseball, adding the shot clock in basketball, or removing the rule against two line passes. All of these are substantially more impactful than an OT format change, as they impact every single possession, not just the end of tie games, and at one point were likely controversial but are now just an accepted part of the game that achieved their intended purpose.

Like I said a shootout does not appeal to me personally, but when every major league in North America besides the eastern half of ours are adopting this change I think 3v3 OT followed by a shootout is approaching that status.

Comment

There have been many other rule changes for entertainment reasons that now no one besides the crotchetiest of grandfathers are against, like ... or removing the rule against two line passes. All of these are substantially more impactful than an OT format change, as they impact every single possession, not just the end of tie games, and at one point were likely controversial but are now just an accepted part of the game that achieved their intended purpose.
                I would like to point out that the NCAA has never had the two-line pass rule as far I am aware (and I spot checked NCAA rules books back to 1929). In fact, although the red line was introduced in the NHL in 1943 the NCAA did not adopt the red line until 1957 and it was only used to determine if body checking was legal. So maybe not the best example of a rules change that is now accepted (the elimination of body checking only in the defensive half of the ice would be a better one). The fact is that the NCAA has always had rule differences from the NHL, usually for the better in my opinion.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

I'm okay with ties and would prefer to keep OT 5 minutes because I don't really want the games to be any longer.

Also, the NHL 3v3 OT was implemented to reduce the number of games that end in shootouts. In my opinion it was a compromise to appease those that like the shootout and those that hate it.

Not having a shootout in the game eliminates the need to have 3v3.

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post
                    the traditional 2-1-0 point system is functionally the same as winning percentage, since ties are considered half a win when calculating winning percentage.

Anyway, ties are fine. I don't get why people get upset at the mere idea of ties in a low-scoring sport.
                    Simple math
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                      I would like to point out that the NCAA has never had the two-line pass rule as far I am aware (and I spot checked NCAA rules books back to 1929). In fact, although the red line was introduced in the NHL in 1943 the NCAA did not adopt the red line until 1957 and it was only used to determine if body checking was legal. So maybe not the best example of a rules change that is now accepted (the elimination of body checking only in the defensive half of the ice would be a better one). The fact is that the NCAA has always had rule differences from the NHL, usually for the better in my opinion.
                      Absolutely correct in all respects. Let's not forget that the NHL is a business and NHL games are commodities. Not so at the college level (except certain Power-5 football and bouncyball schools). What's good for the NHL isn't necessarily (and often isn't) good for college hockey.
                      Last edited by Split-N; 06-29-2018, 09:25 AM.
                      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Why doesn't Hockey East go back to the standings system they had in the mid 90's, 5 for a win, 2 for a tie with the 5th point going to the shootout winner. Every game has a winner but the shootout doesn't carry as much weight as a real win in regulation or OT. I'd also be okay with a 5-4-3-2-1 system where you get 5 for a regulation win, 4 for a win in the 3v3 5-min OT, 3 for a shootout win, 2 for a shootout loss and 1 for an OT loss. The fun potential for end of season standings permutations is endless and you get to see team hockey, super exciting 3v3 action and a shootout and still preserve the sanctity of a real regulation time win.

Conferences can award points for league standings however they want. They currently don't follow PWR's home/away weighting or quality win bonus.

Comment

Working...
                        X