Hockey East Tournament back to 8 teams for 2018/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East Tournament back to 8 teams for 2018/19

Finally....a true playoff system. Should of stayed this way...no ifs or buts about it. Makes the regular season have a meaning again.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
      Good move!
      Agreed. Now let's hope the rules committee doesn't come up with some crazy overtime format. I'm fine with ties and dislike the shootout. If anything increase the overtime to 7 minutes. I can't understand why the need to keep screwing around with the game.

Comment

[QUOTE=boblav1;6659496...I can't understand why the need to keep screwing around with the game.[/QUOTE]

Amen!
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
          ...I can't understand why the need to keep screwing around with the game.
          Amen!
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Agreed. Now let's hope the rules committee doesn't come up with some crazy overtime format. I'm fine with ties and dislike the shootout. If anything increase the overtime to 7 minutes. I can't understand why the need to keep screwing around with the game.
            Right on...ties are part of the regular season play...deal with them {ties} and for sure NO SHOOT-OUTS....but instead of a 5 minute overtime...go to 10 minutes and then if tied then so be it. That's Hockey.

Comment

Some of the rule changes I can understand because you can easily exploit flaws. However, regarding the OT/Skills Contest changes: The playoff OT is still in the rule book. Although right now it is only for tournament play, you could put in an exception to allow that format at any time, and then have no ties.
              Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 04-26-2018, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Some of the rule changes I can understand because you can easily exploit flaws. However, regarding the OT/Skills Contest changes: The playoff OT is still in the rule book. Although right now it is only for tournament play, you could put in an exception to allow that format at any time, and then have no ties.
                See Beanpot OT rules....
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                  Makes the regular season have a meaning again.
                  "Make Hockey East Great Again"?
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                    If you finish NINTH, you don't deserve a post-season. It is that simple.
                    no but you get a contract extension! #FIRESNEDDON

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      See Beanpot OT rules....
                      Exactly. And right now, any "tournament" could utilize it, although consolation games (i.e. third-place games) are not permitted it. I wonder if "trophy games" could be construed as tournament as well; that'd be interesting seeing one of those go four overtimes...

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        See Beanpot OT rules....
                        i.e., tournament overtime rules:

91.4 Tied Games - Tournament Competition - Where advancement in a bracket or the determination of a tournament champion is necessary, any series in a format (e.g., single game, minigame series) that results in a tie shall be broken by 20-minute, sudden-death overtime periods (Exception: See 91.3). The ice shall be resurfaced upon completion of regulation play. The teams shall change ends at the end of each period (except as indicated in Rule 90.2). In each overtime, at the first stoppage of play under the ten minute mark, an ice maintenance timeout of one-minute in duration will be administered. Teams may return to their benches at this time. Thirdplace games may follow the overtime procedures as described in Rule 91.
                        Note: A tied game in a minigame series must use a five-minute overtime period. If the series is tied after the second game, a 20-minute minigame will be played after an intermission period. See Appendix A for complete procedures.

Since most games don't need to determine a winner it is unlikely the NCAA will change the rule to include all games. For some information on the change from 10 to 5 minute overtimes and how that increased ties you can read my post in the Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix? thread. Going back to 10 minute overtimes should reduce ties by about 20%.

Sean
                        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                        BU Hockey highlights and extras
                        NCAA Hockey Financials
                        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                          i.e., tournament overtime rules:

91.4 Tied Games - Tournament Competition - Where advancement in a bracket or the determination of a tournament champion is necessary, any series in a format (e.g., single game, minigame series) that results in a tie shall be broken by 20-minute, sudden-death overtime periods (Exception: See 91.3). The ice shall be resurfaced upon completion of regulation play. The teams shall change ends at the end of each period (except as indicated in Rule 90.2). In each overtime, at the first stoppage of play under the ten minute mark, an ice maintenance timeout of one-minute in duration will be administered. Teams may return to their benches at this time. Thirdplace games may follow the overtime procedures as described in Rule 91.
                          Note: A tied game in a minigame series must use a five-minute overtime period. If the series is tied after the second game, a 20-minute minigame will be played after an intermission period. See Appendix A for complete procedures.

Since most games don't need to determine a winner it is unlikely the NCAA will change the rule to include all games. For some information on the change from 10 to 5 minute overtimes and how that increased ties you can read my post in the Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix? thread. Going back to 10 minute overtimes should reduce ties by about 20%.

Sean
                          This is true. I'm just trying to strike a good balance between those that hate skills competition and changes the rules of the game for OT, and those who hate ties.

Comment

Step in the right direction for sure.

Now, if they would just award their AQ to the RS champion... (Play the tournament if you must, but it should only count for the sake of further PWR data.)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              Step in the right direction for sure.

Now, if they would just award their AQ to the RS champion... (Play the tournament if you must, but it should only count for the sake of further PWR data.)
                              how's that hum hum song go agin?

"fvckin' stupid...
                              fvckin' stupid..."
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Farewell and good riddance to the MBPBEGAM "playoffs" round. Dumb idea from the outset.

I'd actually like to see only the top six qualify, with the top two getting byes into the semis.

If it's the top six qualifying, there would be a good chance they'd all at least have winning records.
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X