Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What The Fark 5: I Can't Believe This Happened!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What The Fark 5: I Can't Believe This Happened!

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Yes.

There is a yuge difference between this teenage girl's prom dress, and Disney making an entire movie that turns a historical Native woman into a money-making sex object.
    I don’t even have a problem with Disney doing it and making buku dollars on it.

It’s all absurd. It’s part of being in a melting pot. For better or worse. If a cultural practice has deep meaning for you, then make sure it stays alive and strong for you. I don’t think the Irish really care if we see every dooshbag coming out during St. Paddy’s day and doing the normal crap that comes with it today. Nor do I really think the Germans care if Oktoberfest is celebrated with people wearing lederhosen. How many people freak out when a bunch of whities from Edina go out and drink margaritas on 5/5?

When you live in a multicultural nation, you’re going to see things pop up as fads among every other group. And part of that means letting your culture and traditions to spread out the the masses. It doesn’t mean it’s diminishing the value to you unless you let it.

Until it starts to cross into the territory of racism, I think people need to take a deep breath.

Now, as a white guy, I have to at least consider I don’t fully understand the other perspective. And maybe the idea of a melting pot and assimilation will be considered racist in 50 years. I have no idea.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      I don’t even have a problem with Disney doing it and making buku dollars on it.

It’s all absurd. It’s part of being in a melting pot. For better or worse. If a cultural practice has deep meaning for you, then make sure it stays alive and strong for you. I don’t think the Irish really care if we see every dooshbag coming out during St. Paddy’s day and doing the normal crap that comes with it today. Nor do I really think the Germans care if Oktoberfest is celebrated with people wearing lederhosen. How many people freak out when a bunch of whities from Edina go out and drink margaritas on 5/5?

When you live in a multicultural nation, you’re going to see things pop up as fads among every other group. And part of that means letting your culture and traditions to spread out the the masses. It doesn’t mean it’s diminishing the value to you unless you let it.

Until it starts to cross into the territory of racism, I think people need to take a deep breath.

Now, as a white guy, I have to at least consider I don’t fully understand the other perspective. And maybe the idea of a melting pot and assimilation will be considered racist in 50 years. I have no idea.
      Agreed. If it's a (insert nationality) holiday, you're going to do what that nationality's trends are (stereotypical, most definitely). The fact is, a VAST majority of ANYONE doesn't think it's harmful or insulting. Some of the SJW's think it is, so they go off, and some bullsh* is created. Lighten up, people.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Now, to be fair, when you start to go into certain stereotypes, it quickly escalates to being racist. There’s a really fine line.

Like, I’m not going to go out in blackface on Juneteenth. That’s no bueno. Going to a Mexican restaurant this Friday. Very bueno.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Now, to be fair, when you start to go into certain stereotypes, it quickly escalates to being racist. There’s a really fine line.

Like, I’m not going to go out in blackface on Juneteenth. That’s no bueno. Going to a Mexican restaurant this Friday. Very bueno.
          I hear ya. Not gonna wear a sombrero on Sat, you know?
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Why is that any different than wearing lederhosen during Oktoberfest?

I’m going to keep bringing that up because I think it’s a great example.
            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              I begin to see Cookie Monster's point.

oh my.... mookie would eat that box whole!!
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                oh my.... mookie would eat that box whole!!
                15 will get you 20.

Dam, I'm old. She does NOT look legal. And even if she did.....nope. Creepy old man in that case. Not having that.

Comment

Why is that any different than wearing lederhosen during Oktoberfest?
                  Well, then you just look stupid for having wasted your money on something you'll only wear once (not unlike her dress!).

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    15 will get you 20.

Dam, I'm old. She does NOT look legal. And even if she did.....nope. Creepy old man in that case. Not having that.
                    she is in a BAR!!! def legal!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      she is in a BAR!!! def legal!!!
                      Staged.

Comment

Staged.
                        Stop raining on mookie’s parade

Comment

And even if she did.....nope. Creepy old man in that case. Not having that.
                          It's her choice. Who are you to dis-empower her? Think of it as a blow against the patriarchy.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

When you see it you'll...
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

“No one answered the door”

Prolly on the crapper

Comment

Pooperintendent Chalmers leaving behind some steamed hams.
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X