Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What The Fark 5: I Can't Believe This Happened!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What The Fark 5: I Can't Believe This Happened!

Genteel sport, golf.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...f-course-brawl

Comment

golf is not a sport? how do figure that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post

It's a game. Not a sport. Again, not taking away the skill needed to perform well, but it's just not a sport.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
          FWIW, there was no connection to the "sport" discussion

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            It's a game. Not a sport. Again, not taking away the skill needed to perform well, but it's just not a sport.
            So is football. :-/
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

so what defines a sport

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

so what defines a sport

Violence?
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

so what defines a sport

I really don't know how to explain it. I really don't. This falls back on the obscenity argument of "I know it when I see it." I will agree it's not the soundest point, it's all a matter of opinion. Therein lies the eternal debate. To some, anything competitive is a sport, even Tiddlywinks. To others, it's only the "Big Four" sports. *shrug*
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I really don't know how to explain it. I really don't. This falls back on the obscenity argument of "I know it when I see it." I will agree it's not the soundest point, it's all a matter of opinion. Therein lies the eternal debate. To some, anything competitive is a sport, even Tiddlywinks. To others, it's only the "Big Four" sports. *shrug*
                    I don't think anyone would agree with you regarding golf. In fact, I've never even heard anyone try to make a logical argument that it's not.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      I don't think anyone would agree with you regarding golf. In fact, I've never even heard anyone try to make a logical argument that it's not.
                      Brent might be the only person in the world with that opinion. I've certainly never seen anyone else trying to make that argument about golf.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

From Wikipedia:
                        The precise definition of what separates a sport from other leisure activities varies between sources. The closest to an international agreement on a definition is provided by SportAccord, which is the association for all the largest international sports federations (including association football, athletics, cycling, tennis, equestrian sports, and more), and is therefore the de facto representative of international sport.

SportAccord uses the following criteria, determining that a sport should:[1]

• have an element of competition
                        • be in no way harmful to any living creature
                        • not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football)
                        • not rely on any "luck" element specifically designed into the sport.

They also recognise that sport can be primarily physical (such as rugby or athletics), primarily mind (such as chess or Go), predominantly motorised (such as Formula 1 or powerboating), primarily co-ordination (such as billiard sports), or primarily animal-supported (such as equestrian sport).[1]

The inclusion of mind sports within sport definitions has not been universally accepted, leading to legal challenges from governing bodies in regards to being denied funding available to sports.[11] Whilst SportAccord recognises a small number of mind sports, it is not open to admitting any further mind sports.

There has been an increase in the application of the term "sport" to a wider set of non-physical challenges such as video games, also called esports, especially due to the large scale of participation and organised competition, but these are not widely recognised by mainstream sports organisations. According to Council of Europe, European Sports Charter, article 2.i, "'Sport' means all forms of physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim at expressing or improving physical fitness and mental well-being, forming social relationships or obtaining results in competition at all levels."[12]
                        Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          From Wikipedia:
                          That definition automatically removes football.

First, it's pretty hard to say football is not harmful to any living creature. Second, it's overtime rules are specifically designed around the luck of a coin flip.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

That definition automatically removes football.

First, it's pretty hard to say football is not harmful to any living creature. Second, it's overtime rules are specifically designed around the luck of a coin flip.
                            Yeah, I don't agree with the "not harmful to a living creature" part, I don't see how that has any bearing on whether something is a sport. You could argue that most sports can be harmful to humans at times. Football, Boxing, Hockey, all can be very harmful to humans. Even baseball can be harmful if you get a 100mph fastball thrown towards your head, or a knee to the head ala Justin Morneau.

A sport is a physical activity that is competitive and utilize at least one of the following: strength, speed, agility, flexibility, physical endurance.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Golf is a game. If golf is a sport so is billiards, and billiards is definitely not a sport.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                                Golf is a game. If golf is a sport so is billiards, and billiards is definitely not a sport.
                                You mean like a hockey game, a football game, a baseball game?

Comment

Working...
                                X