Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 520 of 1001

Thread: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

  1. #501
    RIP Liberalism 6/27/2018 ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    69,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Well, yes, sure, in an ideal world.

    Noticing changes and behaviors by authority figures and whatever other co-students and reporting that or looking into it would help, too.

    And then there is Scooby is who is willing to ignore Constitutional rights (and not talking 2nd Amendment), which makes him a complete hypocrite.
    Uh, what?

  2. #502
    RIP Liberalism 6/27/2018 ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    69,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    After following due process and presumed innocent and not guilty etc. Yes. IMO, dad is guilty. However, even IF we had the gun owner law in place, he still would need to stand trial.
    You can be put in jail pending a hearing dumb****.

  3. #503
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,883

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    :Rolleyes:
    You and I think he's guilty. That's a common though. But we don't have all the facts yet. He must go through due process. You say he should be in jail now, no questions asked. I think he should be put through a trial, and judged based on evidence. If he didn't have the guns secured? Then yes, guilty. If the kid somehow got through all the safe and responsible measures? Then not guilty.

    You are quick to judge, which is exactly the behaviors you rant against. Therefore, hypocrite. Own it, keep quiet, or adjust the attitude.

    Edit: you can pending a hearing, but with current laws, the dad is in the clear. Something that I JUST MENTIONED, about the gun owner law, needs to be changed.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  4. #504
    RIP Liberalism 6/27/2018 ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    69,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    You and I think he's guilty. That's a common though. But we don't have all the facts yet. He must go through due process. You say he should be in jail now, no questions asked. I think he should be put through a trial, and judged based on evidence. If he didn't have the guns secured? Then yes, guilty. If the kid somehow got through all the safe and responsible measures? Then not guilty.

    You are quick to judge, which is exactly the behaviors you rant against. Therefore, hypocrite. Own it, keep quiet, or adjust the attitude.
    **** you.

  5. #505
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,883

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

    Kid got Dad's guns. That's all we know right now.

    IF Kid got Dad's guns out of the dresser/nightstand/etc, ok there's a charge.
    IF Kid got Dad's guns out of the safe because Kid broke into said safe, no charge.

    We don't have the full details right now, yet you say "Dad should be in jail." That is not due process.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  6. #506
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,143
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    You're aware that people are put in jail all the time pending trial right?

    Jfc
    1 out of 5 people in prison have never been convicted of a crime.

  7. #507
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,883

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    1 out of 5 people in prison have never been convicted of a crime.
    Now, does that include holding time?

    Mind you, I think that many in prison don't deserve to be; over-sentencing, prefer probation for minor crimes, etc. It's a known problem in this country. Would like clarification on that statistic.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  8. #508
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Now, does that include holding time?

    Mind you, I think that many in prison don't deserve to be; over-sentencing, prefer probation for minor crimes, etc. It's a known problem in this country. Would like clarification on that statistic.
    You'll find the US doesn't keep figures for this because it has a habit of not keeping data on areas where it is breathtakingly incompentent.

    Estimates are that 500k of the US 2.2million prisoners are "pre-trial", i.e not convicted.

    Of these around 20% will be acquitted, so at any time the US imprisons 100k innocent people.

    Of the others all are legally presumed innocent.

    This figure of around 20% of detainees being pre trial is double to most comparable countries (UK is second at 13%)
    So yeah, lock him up pending trial.

  9. #509
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,883

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    So yeah, lock him up pending trial.
    Ok, thank you. So, "pending trial" means they have not been judged. The stat is somewhat misleading. Still a disturbing fact, given the raw numbers.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  10. #510
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Colo Spgs
    Posts
    3,562

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    He said his story "needed to be told" which implies no one was paying attention to him in a positive manner. That's sad, really sad.
    Yep, THAT is the sad news of the day...

  11. #511
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    12,662

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Kid got Dad's guns. That's all we know right now.

    IF Kid got Dad's guns out of the dresser/nightstand/etc, ok there's a charge.
    IF Kid got Dad's guns out of the safe because Kid broke into said safe, no charge.

    We don't have the full details right now, yet you say "Dad should be in jail." That is not due process.
    OK...can we get behind a law that requires all guns are locked up and otherwise secured in the home? Good. Can we stop carry laws also? Then we're starting to get to the point where we're adding meaningful laws to the books.
    Go Gophers!

  12. #512
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,143
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    OK...can we get behind a law that requires all guns are locked up and otherwise secured in the home? Good. Can we stop carry laws also? Then we're starting to get to the point where we're adding meaningful laws to the books.
    What, are you high? We can't even agree that blind people can't carry. We can't even agree that insane people can't carry.

  13. #513
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,723

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

    An impressive and comprehensive examination of How to reduce shootings from the Timesí Nicholas Kristoff with statistics about guns in America, areas of consensus among the public and elements of a public health approach to gun ownership.

    After tightening gun laws, firearm homicide rates dropped 40 percent in Connecticut. And after Missouri eased gun laws, gun homicide rates rose 25 percent.

  14. #514
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogie21 View Post
    An impressive and comprehensive examination of How to reduce shootings from the Timesí Nicholas Kristoff with statistics about guns in America, areas of consensus among the public and elements of a public health approach to gun ownership.
    Didnít see any backup for that claim. To be fair to him, it was reasonably well written and fair though. The most important point he mentioned, and something I strongly agree with, is that success should be measured in reducing gun deaths overall. Trying to stop one off type events is nearly impossible and can easily distort the issue.

    Iíd also point out he admitted the article was premeditated and was waiting for the right day. Never saw that one coming.

  15. #515
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,883

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

    Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    Yep, THAT is the sad news of the day...
    It is a sad story. This isn't a competition here on what the saddest story is. It's sad that children were killed. It's sad that it's because someone was suicidal due to feeling like an outcast. It's sad that no one saw the signs and tried to help the kid out.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  16. #516
    Internet Nutcase
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Bar Harbor, ME
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    It is a sad story. This isn't a competition here on what the saddest story is. It's sad that children were killed. It's sad that it's because someone was suicidal due to feeling like an outcast. It's sad that no one saw the signs and tried to help the kid out.

    Itís sad that we as a nation canít do anything about our gun obsession. Thanks to a bunch of small dicked gun nuts that hold the second amendment above all others and point their fingers st EVERYTHING except guns.

  17. #517
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    40,068
    Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    You gun humpers are a national embarrassment
    Gun humpers:

    "I really hate being without my pen-s for very long... it makes me feel like less of a man, and I hate having to sit down every time I take a leak."

  18. #518
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,143

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

    Texas lieutenant governor Dan Patrick (not to be confused with the sports guy) says the problem is these schools have too many entrances.

    Guns don't kill people. Doors kill people.

  19. #519
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,883

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

    Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    Itís sad that we as a nation canít do anything about our gun obsession. Thanks to a bunch of small dicked gun nuts that hold the second amendment above all others and point their fingers st EVERYTHING except guns.
    It is still a user problem.

    Drunk drivers kill people. We don't blame the car nor the alcohol.
    Heck, vehicles driven into crowds in recent times. We don't blame the car.
    Knife-wielding people kill people. We don't blame the knife.
    Pressure-cooker bombs.....we don't blame the pressure cooker.

    Notice a trend? We have to make sure that responsible and sane people are the ones who are able to purchase and own a gun. We've all pretty much outlined what we would like in that regard. It's just a matter of getting the politicians to act on it.

    (and "we" is the royal "we")
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  20. #520
    Internet Nutcase
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Bar Harbor, ME
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    It is still a user problem.

    Drunk drivers kill people. We don't blame the car nor the alcohol.
    Heck, vehicles driven into crowds in recent times. We don't blame the car.
    Knife-wielding people kill people. We don't blame the knife.
    Pressure-cooker bombs.....we don't blame the pressure cooker.

    Notice a trend? We have to make sure that responsible and sane people are the ones who are able to purchase and own a gun. We've all pretty much outlined what we would like in that regard. It's just a matter of getting the politicians to act on it.

    (and "we" is the royal "we")
    The car analogy is intellectually weak. The carís main purpose is not for driving into crowds. A gun is designed to kill. Thatís the reason guns exist. Technology (automatic collision avoidance and eventually hands free self driving) will reduce drunk driving accidents.


    Letís give up. Nothing can be done. Obviously we need to make guns, which are designed to kill things, easily accessible to nut jobs.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •