Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    You think the average person posts here? We are white, college-educated males. In no way does this group of people represent the average American.
    So in your opinion white, college-educated males are above average persons? Below average persons?

Average what? Average "persons" in general, as Drew wrote? Average income? Average education level?

I'm curious what an "average person" in America looks like to you?
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      So in your opinion white, college-educated males are above average persons? Below average persons?

Average what? Average "persons" in general, as Drew wrote? Average income? Average education level?

I graduated college in 1999. At that time, the "average" person did not have a 4-year degree.

At the time, for people in my age group...

60% of high school graduates attended college.
      40% of those who attended college earned a degree.

We're doing simple math here, so only 24% of high school graduates earned a bachelor's degree or higher. High school graduation rates are not 100% of the population, so our numbers are closer to 20% of the overall population. Half that figure, roughly, and that's men with a college degree. Roughly half that again, and that's 5% of the nation were might men with a bachelor's degree or higher.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

For starters, there are more women than men in America...

Comment

Arizona: Massachusetts:

I kid. That's a Massachusetts 8.
          Last edited by Kepler; 04-24-2018, 02:51 PM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            Here's the sad facts. Source of firearms possessed by those ending up in federal prison:

Family or friend 35%
            Retail Store 15%
            Drug Dealer 15%
            Black Market 9%
            Burglary 9%
            Other 6%
            Pawnshop 4%
            Borrowed 3%
            Flea Market 2%
            Gun Show 2%
            Interesting information. It would lead me to ask: why so much consternation about a "gun show loophole" when it seems that's a low source of firearms used by criminals. Wouldn't we be better off improving the NICS system used by retail and pawn shop transactions?
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              The Waffle House wouldn’t have been prevented by enforcing any existing laws.
              Waffle House guy had his firearms taken away and then returned to him by his father (through some process in Illinois law).

Knowingly giving a firearm to someone who is legally disallowed from possessing one is a crime. <-- Enforce that.

Or am I missing a detail.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I think that’s a fairly common phrase for someone walking around with a shirt but no pants.
                We've referred to it as, "The Dino" since about 1987.
                Last edited by Slap Shot; 04-24-2018, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                  Waffle House guy had his firearms taken away and then returned to him by his father (through some process in Illinois law).

Knowingly giving a firearm to someone who is legally disallowed from possessing one is a crime. <-- Enforce that.

Or am I missing a detail.
                  You missed the 24-hour surveillance cameras that needed to be in his house to catch him giving his guns to his son.

Comment

It seems we're treating the disease (murder by firearm) without addressing what causes a person to murder death kill.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      It seems we're treating the disease (murder by firearm) without addressing what causes a person to murder death kill.
                      and that would be?
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        and that would be?
                        Good question. I have no bleeping idea, but it's an epidemic.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          and that would be?
                          Well, in Wisconsin Mr. Walker and his party have been pretty good at cutting social services programs. Social workers and therapists are undermanned and have fewer support programs to help them. We just lost an addiction treatment program in our rural county this week.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            It's almost like it's something that the Government might want to put some research dollars against, I mean who could be against it?

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              It's amazing that in other countries they don't have these problems. I suppose it's just a coincidence they have universal health care, strong social safety nets and strict gun control.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                It's amazing that in other countries they don't have these problems. I suppose it's just a coincidence they have universal health care, strong social safety nets and strict gun control.
                                For that last point, there are SO many guns right now in the US (which has been pointed out by all sides) that the strict gun control (and land access from other countries) would just not work.

For the Waffle House thing, mental health help, and the dad not being stupid enough to illegally hand off guns to his mentally unstable child.

I want to say also that IIRC, in the Vegas case, the ammo seller wasn't licensed to sell a certain type of ammo/he modified it/something like that, and he did anyway. Please correct if I'm wrong about that.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X