Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Makes sense, you need to be a senile PoS to take that job

Comment

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
        You have no idea if those are different or not for each instance. How is his support of Nazi's different than support of ISIS? How do you know that people don't seek out ISIS BECAUSE they are depressed and bullied?
        I thought being bullied is irrelevant?

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          I say this with all due respect, I don’t think either you or the people who wrote those articles understand who insurance works. It’s not intended to be punitive on the policy holders. The fact that I have or don’t have insurance doesn’t change any sort of lawsuit someone brings against me.
          So requiring someone who owns a gun to buy insurance for it is punitive? What about homeowners ins? Auto? Flood?
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Let's see:

Kids play video games in other countries.
            Other countries have citizens with mental health issues
            Abortion is legal in other countries.
            Kids take medications in other countries.
            There's a lot of other countries even less religious than the US.
            Schools in other countries have lots of doors,too.
            Probably not as many as here, but there's lots of absentee fathers in other countries.

And yet, we're the only country in the world that seems to have these weekly mass shootings. What could the reason be?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
              Let's see:

Kids play video games in other countries.
              Other countries have citizens with mental health issues
              Abortion is legal in other countries.
              Kids take medications in other countries.
              There's a lot of other countries even less religious than the US.
              Schools in other countries have lots of doors,too.
              Probably not as many as here, but there's lots of absentee fathers in other countries.

And yet, we're the only country in the world that seems to have these weekly mass shootings. What could the reason be?
              Universal Health Care??
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

So requiring someone who owns a gun to buy insurance for it is punitive? What about homeowners ins? Auto? Flood?
                Those are completely different risks. I would liken it more to buying insurance for your phone or tv. I’ve never bought insurance for either.

The only type of claim it would cover would be a situation where someone accidentally shot someone else. Those obviously happen but I can’t imagine it’s a huge market or gun owners would be purchasing it. There is some coverage under homeowners policies too.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  I thought being bullied is irrelevant?
                  Apparently not for white kids

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                    Posts like the one you quoted remind me that it was a smart move to put drew on ignore. He has the same grasp about the intentions and functionality of insurance as does Paul Ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Universal Health Care??
                      Not what I was going for, but............................maybe?

Why don't we enact that, and see if it helps?

Comment

Not what I was going for, but............................maybe?

Why don't we enact that, and see if it helps?
                        Yeah, I mean if we’re not gonna do much to prevent people from getting shot, then we can at least give them health care to aid in recovery, right??

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                          Apparently not for white kids
                          Because mouth-breathers talk out of both sides of their mouth do we all have to follow suit?

I’m flabbergasted by the lack of recognition that mental health might have played a role in the final choice this kid made. How many of you have read stories (or have personally known?) of people that committed suicide and in which mental health was mentioned as a factor? Wasn’t Chris Cornell blasted here for being selfish only to have that poster rebuked by saying that mental health is no joke? Yet now that a gun is involved that cannot possibly be a mitigating factor? Why – because we want to argue in favor of gun control? Can’t we discuss the need for both at the same time?

Suggesting this kid needed help doesn’t absolve him of his final choice nor does it invalidate the real need to look for ways to reduce gun violence such as stricter gun laws. If the discussion is going to be open and honest then some people need to take a good hard look at themselves and accept that mental health is a real issue. To instead coldly suggest, “he should have dealt with it” or, “if a cheerleader would have just sucked him off this wouldn’t have happened” flippantly misses the reality of the situation.

Two years ago my older son was dealing with a bully. We didn’t know it at first, but we saw a change in is behavior and he went from being a happy, go-lucky and fun loving kid to being less open, less jocular and more reserved. He was relatively new to his school and we found out a kid his age – one much bigger and stronger – was picking on him we think because our son was getting straight A’s and became a starter on the soccer team, while the other kid was struggling with both. When my son got a perfect score on his PSAT the school wanted to post a picture of him on their FB page and he asked them not to. It got to the point he because visibly upset at school during this and they let us know.

After getting him to open up about it we finally got the full story out of him. He was getting regularly picked on, wasn’t sure how to deal with it, and was afraid more exposure for his accomplishments would lead to even more bullying. We were able to talk this out over several weeks, worked with him about finding ways to cope and how to deal with the bully socially, and eventually he returned to being himself.

We feel fortunate we were able to intervene, but the reality is that doesn’t always happen. Do I think he was capable of ever going to that extreme? I don’t think so but I doubt this kid’s parents thought so either. If we callously ignore mental health as a problem and focus only on gun laws, we’re never going to get the Right to buy in and we’ll fall short of finally taking tangible steps to reducing the frequency of mass shootings in America.
                          Last edited by Slap Shot; 05-22-2018, 03:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Because mouth-breathers talk out of both sides of their mouth do we all have to follow suit?

I’m flabbergasted by the lack of recognition that mental health might have played a role in the final choice this kid made. How many of you have read stories (or have personally known?) of people that committed suicide and in which mental health was mentioned as a factor? Wasn’t Chris Cornell blasted here for being selfish only to have that poster rebuked by saying that mental health is no joke? Yet now that a gun is involved that cannot possibly be a mitigating factor? Why – because we want to argue in favor of gun control? Can’t we discuss the need for both at the same time?

Suggesting this kid needed help doesn’t absolve him of his final choice nor does it invalidate the real need to look for ways to reduce gun violence such as stricter gun laws. If the discussion is going to be open and honest then some people need to take a good hard look at themselves and accept that mental health is a real issue. To instead coldly suggest, “he should have dealt with it” or, “if a cheerleader would have just sucked him off this wouldn’t have happened” flippantly misses the reality of the situation.

Two years ago my older son was dealing with a bully. We didn’t know it at first, but we saw a change in is behavior and he went from being a happy, go-lucky and fun loving kid to being less open, less jocular and more reserved. He was relatively new to his school and we found out a kid his age – one much bigger and stronger – was picking on him we think because our son was getting straight A’s and became a starter on the soccer team, while the other kid was struggling with both. When my son got a perfect score on his PSAT the school wanted to post a picture of him on their FB page and he asked them not to. It got to the point he because visibly upset at school during this and they let us know.

After getting him to open up about it we finally got the full story out of him. He was getting regularly picked on, wasn’t sure how to deal with it, and was afraid more exposure for his accomplishments would lead to even more bullying. We were able to talk this out over several weeks, worked with him about finding ways to cope and how to deal with the bully socially, and eventually he returned to being himself.

We feel fortunate we were able to intervene, but the reality is that doesn’t always happen. Do I think he was capable of ever going to that extreme? I don’t think so but I doubt this kid’s parents thought so either. If we callously ignore mental health as a problem and focus only on gun laws, we’re never going to get the Right to buy in and we’ll fall short of finally taking tangible steps to reducing the frequency of mass shootings in America.
                            Good job parenting. Too often these days the parents neglect to make the time for the kids, thinking that chatting with the child while running them to sports, lessons, etc. is parenting. Talk to your children. Listen to your children. Love your children.

Hugs are necessary, even in the macho male world.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I don't think there's anyone who really disagrees that bullying is really bad and has an impact on mass shootings. Here's the rub

1) bullying has happened since 10 million bc...and has always included who knows 10-30% of the population are affected...we should work on it, but its not going away
                              2) What is the solution? We have innocent until proven guilty; how many cases will stick in a court of law? How much money do we put into a solution? $10B, $10T? Personally, the bullying situations I avoided didn't go away...the ones I faced head on myself did.
                              3) most relevant...it is a two part solution and gun advocates use bullying to stifle gun control efforts.

As I said to Drew, you go fix the mental side where you have passion (don't spend all our money) and we'll take care of the gun side (because we have solutions that can have an impact).
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

No one is saying mental health didnt have anything to do with it (talk about an oversimplification) we are saying the only time we ever care about the mental health of the murderer is when it is a white male. If this kids name was Jamir no one is trying to figure out "why" or talking about whether he had mental health issues. It is disingenuous and is using mental health as both a crutch and a scapegoat.

I have mental health issues as do both of my parents we never did anything violent. My gf's late brother was schizophrenic and never once acted violently. Millions of people have mental health problems and they dont murder others. His emotional or mental issues might be a factor, but they arent the reason. Too many people (especially the hypocrites on the Right) want to deflect from the real issues (guns) so they throw mental health under the bus.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X