Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    1. She didn't know her friend as well as she thought.
    2. Her friend had already broke the law by missing the meeting.
    3. Her friend decided to HIDE A GUN AND AMMO (with or without her knowledge) which is against his probation ruling IN THE FIRST PLACE
    4. He even had illegal (key word here, illegal) access to a gun in the first place

3 of the 4 points deal with illegal activities and attitude. NO additional law would have stopped him here, and guess what, I'm FOR additional laws! Wow, imagine that.
    And yet, in the end, a gun was still what killed him. Dismissing guns as not being a problem is just as extreme as wanting them banned.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
      And yet, in the end, a gun was still what killed him. Dismissing guns as not being a problem is just as extreme as wanting them banned.
      In THIS particular issue? Per my original post, it ain't the gun.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

In THIS particular issue? Per my original post, it ain't the gun.
        Remind me again, what was the cause of death?

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
          Remind me again, what was the cause of death?
          Irresponsible and illegal keeping of a gun that was misfired. Try again. There were laws that would have prevented this, already in place.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Irresponsible and illegal keeping of a gun that was misfired. Try again. There were laws that would have prevented this, already in place.
            I'll go with gunshot wound. The fact that you can't just be honest about it goes against your "reasonable moderate" stance.

Comment

Brent you're being 100% disingenuous. If the asshats didn't have an unsecured gun (wasn't it you arguing about the importance of using safes to lock up guns?) in the house the kid couldn't have shot himself. Come on man.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Brent you're being 100% disingenuous. If the asshats didn't have an unsecured gun (wasn't it you arguing about the importance of using safes to lock up guns?) in the house the kid couldn't have shot himself. Come on man.
                Yes, I am arguing the use of safes. I'm arguing it here, also. It was an unsecured gun that was used (irresponsible, which I mentioned twice now). On TOP of that, that gun should never have been possessed in the first place, because of the person's probation conditions (due to laws already in place).

If it were up to me, not only would the gun owner get punished, if there was any way to find out who supplied him the gun, find that out and punish them, too.

Comment

Brent, you're one of the good ones...but you're off on this. Is 'punishment' supposed to make us feel better about someone dying...how does that stop other innocents from getting killed? It doesn't.

Yes, I am arguing the use of safes. I'm arguing it here, also. It was an unsecured gun that was used (irresponsible, which I mentioned twice now). On TOP of that, that gun should never have been possessed in the first place, because of the person's probation conditions (due to laws already in place).

If it were up to me, not only would the gun owner get punished, if there was any way to find out who supplied him the gun, find that out and punish them, too.
                  What you deem as 'meeting in the middle' will barely move the needle in terms of death

We need:

0) Interpret the 2nd correctly and treat guns as a restricted, managed and dangerous necessity
                  1) Have a 'no tolerance' policy for guns on the streets - if hunters need to hunt put up select areas for that (Its amazing how much push back I've gotten from some on this)
                  2) No tolerance lock up of every gun - have a tax with every gun where buyers get a free safe
                  3) Only allow gun purchases to those without any criminal, behavior records
                  4) extensive mandatory training
                  5) Force manufacturers to produce guns only capable of low rates of fire and reduce magazines further
                  6) How about forcing gun owners to participate in a monthly managed 'well regulated' militia organization? I thought the constitution was important.
                  Last edited by 5mn_Major; 05-26-2018, 10:06 AM.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    Brent, you're one of the good ones...but you're off on this. Is 'punishment' supposed to make us feel better about someone dying...how does that stop other innocents from getting killed? It doesn't.

What you deem as 'meeting in the middle' will barely move the needle in terms of death

We need:

0) Interpret the 2nd correctly and treat guns as a restricted, managed and dangerous necessity
                    1) Have a 'no tolerance' policy for guns on the streets - if hunters need to hunt put up select areas for that (Its amazing how much push back I've gotten from some on this)
                    2) No tolerance lock up of every gun - have a tax with every gun where buyers get a free safe
                    3) Only allow gun purchases to those without any criminal, behavior records
                    4) extensive mandatory training
                    5) Force manufacturers to produce guns only capable of low rates of fire and reduce magazines further
                    6) How about forcing gun owners to participate in a monthly managed 'well regulated' militia organization? I thought the constitution was important.
                    The bold I am in complete agreement with. The underlined I feel would be sort of the same as the training. Sort of like renewing your driver's license.

Interested in the "free safe" idea, just don't know where the money would come from.

Comment

What if he had just hidden an illegal knife?
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        What if he had just hidden an illegal knife?
                        Just....stop.

Comment

No, seriously. You're the one stretching the bounds of credulity. If he had hidden a knife instead of a gun, would the kid still have been shot?

Just answer the friggin' question. Be honest and straightforward here. After all, you want honest and straightforward debate on the subject.

Comment

No, seriously. You're the one stretching the bounds of credulity. If he had hidden a knife instead of a gun, would the kid still have been shot?

Just answer the friggin' question. Be honest and straightforward here. After all, you want honest and straightforward debate on the subject.
                            No he wouldn't have been shot. Duh. You're asking ridiculous questions here.

Comment

No he wouldn't have been shot. Duh. You're asking ridiculous questions here.
                              Now we're gettin' somewhere.

Let's advance this dialogue a little further. If there isn't a gun in the house, the chances of a little child there finding it and shooting themselves with it are drastically diminished. Yes or no?
                              Last edited by rufus; 05-26-2018, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Now we're gettin' somewhere.

Let's advance this dialogue a little further. If there isn't a gun in the house, the chances of a little child there finding it and shooting themselves with it are drastically diminished. Yes or no?
                                Again, a ridiculous question, because:

IF the person is responsible and safety conscious, which I have been stressing all along, that kid isn't shooting himself. Do you understand that?

Comment

Working...
                                X