Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637

Thread: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post

Makes sense, you need to be a senile PoS to take that job

Generic Catchy Message

Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    You have no idea if those are different or not for each instance. How is his support of Nazi's different than support of ISIS? How do you know that people don't seek out ISIS BECAUSE they are depressed and bullied?
    I thought being bullied is irrelevant?

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    I say this with all due respect, I don’t think either you or the people who wrote those articles understand who insurance works. It’s not intended to be punitive on the policy holders. The fact that I have or don’t have insurance doesn’t change any sort of lawsuit someone brings against me.
    So requiring someone who owns a gun to buy insurance for it is punitive? What about homeowners ins? Auto? Flood?
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

rock and roller

Let's see:

Kids play video games in other countries.
    Other countries have citizens with mental health issues
    Abortion is legal in other countries.
    Kids take medications in other countries.
    There's a lot of other countries even less religious than the US.
    Schools in other countries have lots of doors,too.
    Probably not as many as here, but there's lots of absentee fathers in other countries.

And yet, we're the only country in the world that seems to have these weekly mass shootings. What could the reason be?

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Let's see:

Kids play video games in other countries.
    Other countries have citizens with mental health issues
    Abortion is legal in other countries.
    Kids take medications in other countries.
    There's a lot of other countries even less religious than the US.
    Schools in other countries have lots of doors,too.
    Probably not as many as here, but there's lots of absentee fathers in other countries.

And yet, we're the only country in the world that seems to have these weekly mass shootings. What could the reason be?
    Universal Health Care??

So requiring someone who owns a gun to buy insurance for it is punitive? What about homeowners ins? Auto? Flood?
    Those are completely different risks. I would liken it more to buying insurance for your phone or tv. I’ve never bought insurance for either.

The only type of claim it would cover would be a situation where someone accidentally shot someone else. Those obviously happen but I can’t imagine it’s a huge market or gun owners would be purchasing it. There is some coverage under homeowners policies too.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I thought being bullied is irrelevant?
    Apparently not for white kids

\../ \../
    Patiently awaiting changes I know are not coming.

Posts like the one you quoted remind me that it was a smart move to put drew on ignore. He has the same grasp about the intentions and functionality of insurance as does Paul Ryan.

rock and roller

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Universal Health Care??
    Not what I was going for, but............................maybe?

Why don't we enact that, and see if it helps?

Not what I was going for, but............................maybe?

Why don't we enact that, and see if it helps?
    Yeah, I mean if we’re not gonna do much to prevent people from getting shot, then we can at least give them health care to aid in recovery, right??

Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    Apparently not for white kids
    Going for the rufus and princess approach? Because mouth-breathers talk out of both sides of their mouth do we all have to follow suit?

I’m flabbergasted by the lack of recognition that mental health might have played a role in the final choice this kid made. How many of you have read stories (or have personally known?) of people that committed suicide and mental health was mentioned as a factor? Wasn’t Chris Cornell blasted here for being selfish, only to have that poster rebuked to say that mental health is no joke? Now that a gun is involved none of that can possibly be a mitigating factor? Why – because we want to argue in favor of gun control? Can’t we discuss the need for both at the same time?

Suggesting this kid needed help doesn’t absolve him of his final choice nor does it invalidate the real need to look for ways to reduce gun violence that might include stricter gun laws. If the discussion is going to be open and honest then some people need to take a good hard look at themselves and accept that mental health is a real issue and to coldly suggest, “he should have sucked it up” or, “well if the cheerleader would have just sucked him off this wouldn’t happened” flippantly misses the reality of the situation.

Two years ago my older son was dealing with a bully. We didn’t know it at first, but we saw a change in is behavior and he went from being a happy, go-lucky and fun loving kid to being less open, less jocular and more reserved. He was relatively new to his school and we found out a kid his age – but much much bigger and stronger – was picking on him we think because he was getting straight A’s and became a starter on the soccer team. The other kid was struggling with both. When my son got a perfect score on his PSAT the school wanted to post a picture of him their FB page and he asked them not to. It got to the point he because visibly upset at school and they let us know.

After getting him to open up about it we finally got the full story out of him. He was getting regularly picked on, wasn’t sure how to deal with it, and was afraid more exposure for his accomplishments would lead to even more bullying. We were able to talk this out over several weeks, worked with him about finding ways to cope and deal with the bully socially, and eventually he returned to being himself. A loving, caring, smart and outgoing kid with a lot to offer his friends and family.

We feel fortunate we were able to intervene, but the reality is that doesn’t always happen. Do I think he was capable of ever going to that extreme? I don’t think so but I doubt this kid’s parents thought so either. If we callously ignore mental health as a problem an focus only on gun laws, you’re never going to get the right to buy in and we’re going to fall short of using all methods to finally start solving the problems we’re having with mass shootings.

Thread Information