Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    The irrational paranoia on the part of my employer is astounding and as such you need an administrator password to do almost anything with my electronic devices other than turn them on. So consequently downloading ad block is not an option.
    Well you're crazy to use the computer attached to your work network -- I'm sure he's got a keystroke counter too. I assumed you were on a dedicated INET machine.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Well you're crazy to use the computer attached to your work network -- I'm sure he's got a keystroke counter too. I assumed you were on a dedicated INET machine.
      The Luddite your speaking with did not understand most of this post...

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        No one is saying mental health didnt have anything to do with it (talk about an oversimplification) we are saying the only time we ever care about the mental health of the murderer is when it is a white male.
        Does that mean it's not a real issue? Every time someone mocks someone else with that silly point it detracts from the dialog and it's no better than the tripe we hear from too many neocons in this forum.

And I don't care that your brother (or my son) figured it out and never snapped. Too many clearly do not and tackling the problem only from the standpoint of stricter gun laws is a short-sighted approach. Never mind I think my posting history should be indicative of the fact I don't espouse Drew's aversions to enacting legislative action to tackle the gun component.

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        To Slap Shot, one of the points being made is that the GOP has no interest in doing anything about either.
        I'm in total agreement.

Comment

What dialog? There is no dialog. The only time this comes up is in a very specific set of circumstances otherwise it is completely ignored. It is an excuse nothing more. Maybe I would agree with you more if people actually cared about why killers kill but they dont. They care why killers LIKE THEMSELVES kill. That is the problem with all of this. There is no reason for him to have done any of this (being bullied is as lame as it gets sorry) he was a supposed nice quiet kid that was active in the church, played football and even made the honor roll. That someone like that snapped and murdered scares people so like with anything when the answers elude them they fill the vacuum themselves to ease their fears.

You are more than welcome to think this kid was mentally ill and that is why he did what he did...I dont. I am all for doing anything to help those with mental illness and if he is diagnosed with something that impaired his judgement then by all means it is a mitigating factor and I will revisit. But this is all armchair speculation. I havent seen anything that suggests he is actually mentally ill...just some people who just cant understand why he would do it so they ASSUME he had an issue. With what we know so far he can feel free to rot in jail for life.

This is like the people who try and diagnose Trump with all sorts of problems...

tl;dr: Mental Health is a major concern of mine and I am a huge advocate for those with mental illness, but it only ever gets any sort of real play when white people murder en masse so it is nothing but a crutch in situations like this IMHO.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

There's a dialog and I'll never buy the claim anyone that does what he did wasn't royally messed up. If you need an official diagnosis (and perhaps if more money and resources were spent on this we'd have one) that's swell, but I've never been acquainted with anyone capable of such madness.

Yet I also firmly believe we need to take action on the gun side of things.
            Last edited by Slap Shot; 05-22-2018, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              Does that mean it's not a real issue? Every time someone mocks someone else with that silly point it detracts from the dialog and it's no better than the tripe we hear from too many neocons in this forum.

And I don't care that your brother (or my son) figured it out and never snapped. Too many clearly do not and tackling the problem only from the standpoint of stricter gun laws is a short-sighted approach. Never mind I think my posting history should be indicative of the fact I don't espouse Drew's aversions to enacting legislative action to tackle the gun component.

I'm in total agreement.
              I think you have me mixed up with someone else. I've said repeatedly that there are certain gun control measure I would be okay with; waiting period, licensing scheme, some sort of mechanism to remove guns from people who are a threat to themselves or others, etc. I think some of these measures could save lives but not sure how much impact they would have on the high profile events. Measuring success in terms of high profile events is off target in my humble opinion.

One thing I do wonder is if we had increased gun regulations would you really want to put more people in jail? I can't see where it would be worth it but perhaps I'm wrong.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                What dialog? There is no dialog. The only time this comes up is in a very specific set of circumstances otherwise it is completely ignored. It is an excuse nothing more. Maybe I would agree with you more if people actually cared about why killers kill but they dont. They care why killers LIKE THEMSELVES kill. That is the problem with all of this. There is no reason for him to have done any of this (being bullied is as lame as it gets sorry) he was a supposed nice quiet kid that was active in the church, played football and even made the honor roll. That someone like that snapped and murdered scares people so like with anything when the answers elude them they fill the vacuum themselves to ease their fears.

You are more than welcome to think this kid was mentally ill and that is why he did what he did...I dont. I am all for doing anything to help those with mental illness and if he is diagnosed with something that impaired his judgement then by all means it is a mitigating factor and I will revisit. But this is all armchair speculation. I havent seen anything that suggests he is actually mentally ill...just some people who just cant understand why he would do it so they ASSUME he had an issue. With what we know so far he can feel free to rot in jail for life.

This is like the people who try and diagnose Trump with all sorts of problems...

tl;dr: Mental Health is a major concern of mine and I am a huge advocate for those with mental illness, but it only ever gets any sort of real play when white people murder en masse so it is nothing but a crutch in situations like this IMHO.
                "Like themselves"

Whatchutalkinboutwillis??
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  I think you have me mixed up with someone else. I've said repeatedly that there are certain gun control measure I would be okay with; waiting period, licensing scheme, some sort of mechanism to remove guns from people who are a threat to themselves or others, etc. I think some of these measures could save lives but not sure how much impact they would have on the high profile events. Measuring success in terms of high profile events is off target in my humble opinion.

One thing I do wonder is if we had increased gun regulations would you really want to put more people in jail? I can't see where it would be worth it but perhaps I'm wrong.
                  Unless the person is mentally incapable of managing their finances, and then it's just a confiscatory gun grab by that darkie Obama fella.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    "Like themselves"

Whatchutalkinboutwillis??
                    White boys.

They don't bother to question why a brown person of Middle Eastern descent might kill. They're just terrorists, and no need to delve deeper.

But if it's a white boy.

*handwringing* "Oh, there had to have been some reason that drove him to take such drastic actions. We must examine ourselves and society to make an effort to learn why, so we can prevent such a horrible tragedy from ever happening again. All we know is that it wasn't the gun's fault".
                    Last edited by rufus; 05-23-2018, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                      White boys.

They don't bother to question why a brown person of Middle Eastern descent might kill. They're just terrorists, and no need to delve deeper.

But if it's a white boy.

*handwringing* "Oh, there had to have been some reason that drove him to take such drastic actions. We must examine ourselves and society to make an effort to learn why, so we can prevent such a horrible tragedy from ever happening again. All we know is that it wasn't the gun's fault".
                      When someone of that descent flat out proclaims they did it for ISIS....well........

Not much more to say.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

And when the white boy says he did it cause the girls won't fck him?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          When someone of that descent flat out proclaims they did it for ISIS....well........

Not much more to say.
                          And we debunked that the last time you said that. Plus something besides an affiliation to ISIS (which they often dont even really have) isnt enough...what actually caused the snap? That is what we ask with White Boys.

But how about when Black People kill...we never ask it then either.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Well, they're black. Killing's in their blood. Their hot, African blood.

Comment

I think some of these measures could save lives but not sure how much impact they would have on the high profile events.
                              Then why wouldn't we do more to save more lives?

And no, the second amendment isn't in play until Obama does literally take all the guns.

Add more jails for awhile. The lives it saves will cover the costs in terms of taxes.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                And no, the second amendment isn't in play until Obama does literally take all the guns
                                Waiting for the Netflix show about this.

Why can't the several States impose a "gun tax" on firearm sales?
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X