Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

Internet Nutcase

Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Shouldn’t we be asking why when you were growing up it wasn’t an issue and now it is?
    the only people that really had guns then were hunters. Gun humping wasn't really a thing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    the only people that really had guns then were hunters. Gun humping wasn't really a thing yet.
    And they were usually bolt action Winchester/Remington/Mauser.

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    the only people that really had guns then were hunters.
    I believe gun ownership statistics show that the number of people who own guns now, say as compared to 40 years ago, has dropped significantly. However, the number of guns owned by people who still have them has increased even more significantly.

That last number is not, at least to me, a surprise. There is no doubt that a portion of the gun owning population has increased the number of guns they own as a result of a misguided belief the government is going to stop the sale of them or some such thing. There is another pretty easy explanation for how it is that the number of guns owned by each gun owner, on average, has increased. Take my example.

40 years ago I think I owned three guns. One was a shotgun, one was a small caliber rifle I used for target practice, and the third was a rifle I used for deer hunting.

I probably own 10 guns now, and I don't for a minute believe that Obama or anyone else is coming to take them away.

I bought a second shotgun because I needed a much smaller and lighter gun for hunting upland game, as opposed to the ducks and geese that I hunted with my original shotgun. I later purchased a second rifle that operated with a bolt action because I was dissatisfied with the semi-automatic rifle that I owned.

In both cases I hung onto the original guns, partially out of sentimental value (one was the first gun that I'd ever owned, the other was a gift), and partially because I still occasionally used them.

Since then I've essentially "inherited" a number of guns. My father gave my brother and me a couple of his guns that had been owned by my grandfather. I received a couple from other family members who passed. The next thing you know I own about 10 guns.

When I needed a new gas grill, I gave my old gas grill away. Guns aren't a product like a gas grill where you get rid of the old one if you acquire a new one. Yeah, I could sell them. But they're also like the cedar chest I inherited from my grandmother when she passed. I don't really need it, but I've kept it out of sentimental reasons and I probably wouldn't get much for it if I did sell it.

I know there are posters here who like to believe that all gun owners just have an insatiable fetish for guns because, well, that fulfills the jerk off fantasy they have about gun owners. So long as those posters keep a closed mind on the subject, the interminable debate will continue.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

So the takeaway from this is...SJHovey is old
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I know there are posters here who like to believe that all gun owners just have an insatiable fetish for guns because, well, that fulfills the jerk off fantasy they have about gun owners. So long as those posters keep a closed mind on the subject, the interminable debate will continue.
    So long as the jack-wagons that insist guns are totally safe despite the tens of thousands killed by them every year keep a closed mind and refuse to budge an inch on any meaningful regulations, the interminable debate will continue

The blame game can be such fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    So the takeaway from this is...SJHovey is old
    I prefer terms like "experienced" or "seasoned." One doesn't have to be so cruel if a little effort is made.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

I prefer terms like "experienced" or "seasoned." One doesn't have to be so cruel if a little effort is made.
    At what point do "old," "experienced," and "seasoned" become "creepy?"

Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    So long as the jack-wagons that insist guns are totally safe despite the tens of thousands killed by them every year keep a closed mind and refuse to budge an inch on any meaningful regulations, the interminable debate will continue

The blame game can be such fun!
    Guns themselves are completely safe. Mine are a collection of steel and wood sitting quietly in my home.

Guns in the hands of people who don't know how to safely handle them, who are too young or incapacitated to safely handle them, or choose to pick them up and use them for evil intent, are weapons capable of great harm.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    At what point do "old," "experienced," and "seasoned" become "creepy?"
    At the entrance to the nightclub.

I've been told.

At the entrance to the nightclub.

I've been told.
    This is the post of the week, if not more. Golf clap.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Guns themselves are completely safe. Mine are a collection of steel and wood sitting quietly in my home.

Guns in the hands of people who don't know how to safely handle them, who are too young or incapacitated to safely handle them, or choose to pick them up and use them for evil intent, are weapons capable of great harm.
    So no issues with Iran and the Norks stockpiling nukes? They are, after all, just a collection of materials sitting quietly.

Kicizapi Cetan

So no issues with Iran and the Norks stockpiling nukes? They are, after all, just a collection of materials sitting quietly.
    Ala the "automobile", there is some positive (or neutral) usage of a personal firearm: target shooting, hunting, personal defense.

There is no purpose for a nuclear weapon but mass destruction hence its designation as a weapon of mass destruction.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Ala the "automobile", there is some positive (or neutral) usage of a personal firearm: target shooting, hunting, personal defense.

There is no purpose for a nuclear weapon but mass destruction hence its designation as a weapon of mass destruction.
    I started typing the same response, and then thought, "if this has to be explained, what's the point?"

So basically it's like a far more powerful AR-15. Glad we got that settled.

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    So basically it's like a far more powerful AR-15. Glad we got that settled.
    Since you guys persist in driving off this cliff, let me ask you this question. What do you think the debate over nuclear weapons would be like in this world if you could also take an ICBM with a nuclear warhead and hook it up to the power grid and supply all of the electrical needs of Tehran?

Those are all very subjective. Guns are for killing, just likes nukes. I believe Kim Jong Un would tell you nukes are necessary for his countries national defense. He shoots off missiles for target practice so if they are needed he knows he can hit his target. From his perspective there would be plenty of "positives" to his having a nuclear arsenal. Objectively VERY few people NEED a gun.

Kicizapi Cetan

Those are all very subjective. Guns are for killing, just likes nukes. I believe Kim Jong Un would tell you nukes are necessary for his countries national defense. He shoots off missiles for target practice so if they are needed he knows he can hit his target. From his perspective there would be plenty of "positives" to his having a nuclear arsenal. Objectively VERY few people NEED a gun.
    Comparing a WMD to a personal firearm makes comparing a scimitar to a scalpel sound reasonable.

PS - Who decides who of "VERY few people NEED a gun"? You? Me? SJ? Kep? Barack Obama? Sarah Palin? Ruth Bader Ginsberg? Neil Gorsuch? Chuck Schumer? Mike Lee?
    Last edited by The Sicatoka; 05-30-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

One of the things that I think is extremely funny, while at the same time being extraordinarily sad about the entire gun debate and "assault weapons" (i.e. AR-15's) in particular is 25 years ago no one ever purchased an AR-15 even though they were readily available and for sale to the public since the 1960's. They were the gun version of a 1998 Kia.

Then, someone got the spectacular idea of banning the sale of them, but only temporarily. When GWB elected not to renew the ban maybe 10 years later, they suddenly became one of the most sought after consumer goods in the country.

Comparing a WMD to a personal firearm makes comparing a scimitar to a scalpel sound reasonable.

PS - Who decides who of "VERY few people NEED a gun"? You? Me? SJ? Kep? Barack Obama? Sarah Palin? Ruth Bader Ginsberg? Neil Gorsuch? Chuck Schumer? Mike Lee?
    Comparing firearms to cars and knives is just as dumb, yet you do it all the time. Way to ignore the substance and change the subject though. You gave completely subjective reasons as "positives" for gun use, while comparing it to automobiles that have a very objective positive use.

So basically they should just reinstate the ban and then don't lift it.

Thread Information