Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: But the Second Amendment!

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20180504/trump-the-nra-is-a-truly-great-organziation-that-loves-this-country
    President Donald Trump on Friday addressed the National Rifle Association's annual meeting, signaling his strong support for the gun rights group after suggesting months earlier that he was open to some firearm restrictions in the wake of a school shooting in South Florida.

"Your second amendment rights are under siege but they will never ever be under siege as long as I'm your president," Trump told NRA members, whom he referred to as patriots.

Trump has already addressed the group three times and has counted it as a powerful ally from the earliest days of his presidential campaign. The NRA spent more money on behalf of Trump than did any outside group in 2016, deploying its resources for him earlier than in any other presidential cycle.
    "It's a great organization that loves this country. The NRA is a truly great organization that loves this country," Trump told reporters on Air Force One, noting the large crowd that had already lined up at the convention center here. "We'll see you up there. We'll do another one."
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Do another what? Mass shooting? Duh. That’s a matter of hours or days

"Your second amendment rights are under siege but they will never ever be under siege as long as I'm your president," Trump told NRA members
    Which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Which is it?
    Trump would not even understand your question. This is the man who wants to negotiate mano a mano with foreign heads of state but who doesn't read and has shown nothing beyond a seventh grader's feel for the written word. He doesn't connect with people at their level, he takes them to his.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Trump would not even understand your question. This is the man who wants to negotiate mano a mano with foreign heads of state but who doesn't read and has shown nothing beyond a seventh grader's feel for the written word. He doesn't connect with people at their level, he takes them to his.
    Such an insult.

Seventh graders have a much better grasp on the English language than Sniffles.

Yep, still here

Oliver North will be the new head of the NRA.

The jokes write themselves
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post

Does the American Dad! clip need a new verse?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

A guy who illegally funneled Syrian guns to Central American death squads backed by Panamanian drug lords will now the head of an organization that prides itself as the face of responsible gun ownership.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

RIP Liberalism 6/27/2018 ScoobyDoo's Avatar

Replace "Safety" with "Profit" which they did years ago and he's Purr-fect for the job.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Replace "Safety" with "Profit" which they did years ago and he's Purr-fect for the job.
    Convicted of manipulating and lying to Congress? Yeah, perfect.
    Go Gophers!

Kichizapi Chetan

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Convicted of manipulating and lying to Congress? Yeah, perfect.
    Um, was Ollie convicted of a felony? I believe "yes", but it was later vacated. Either way, at one point he was a convicted felon.

That's an epic choice-fail by the NRA.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

That was my first thought.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

CO Red Flag law passes the house with only 2 yes votes from Rs, will fail in R controlled senate. Can we stop pretending that Rs are in favor of any sort of common sense incremental change yet? This is exactly the sort of law that could have saved the lives of 17 children, Rs don't care, they've already been born.
    https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/0...-passes-house/

Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    CO Red Flag law passes the house with only 2 yes votes from Rs, will fail in R controlled senate. Can we stop pretending that Rs are in favor of any sort of common sense incremental change yet? This is exactly the sort of law that could have saved the lives of 17 children, Rs don't care, they've already been born.
    Cuz the veterans. “If you truly care about those in uniform who protect us every day you will not take away the rights that they defend overseas,” said House Minority Leader Patrick Neville, R-Castle Rock.
    Go Gophers!

I think that entire concept is an excellent idea, but I'm not sure the "red flag law" is even necessary in Colorado or most other states. Pretty much every state already has an emergency conservator or guardian law for exactly these types of situations. You petition the Court by providing basic evidence that the individual is at risk, either personally or financially. There is a court hearing and if the judge is satisfied, the guardian or conservator is appointed. That person then has the right to go in and take control of the property of the subject.

I think that's the perfect response by families and government agencies for exactly these types of cases.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I think that entire concept is an excellent idea, but I'm not sure the "red flag law" is even necessary in Colorado or most other states. Pretty much every state already has an emergency conservator or guardian law for exactly these types of situations. You petition the Court by providing basic evidence that the individual is at risk, either personally or financially. There is a court hearing and if the judge is satisfied, the guardian or conservator is appointed. That person then has the right to go in and take control of the property of the subject.

I think that's the perfect response by families and government agencies for exactly these types of cases.
    Yeah, well that's all window dressing. And for the GOP, even window dressings are offensive.

80% of guns used by felons come from friends, family, the street or illegal sources. Pretty sure you won't be happy with any solution that has a real impact on the numbers.

https://bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fuo.pdf
    Go Gophers!

Generic Catchy Message
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Does the American Dad! clip need a new verse?
    https://youtu.be/lFV1uT-ihDo

For the uninitiated.

So it's an excellent idea, but just in case it's overlappy with other laws let's not do it. Makes sense...
    At least Drew will just come out and say he doesn't think being nuts and a threat yourself/others is reason to take someone's gun away.

So it's an excellent idea, but just in case it's overlappy with other laws let's not do it. Makes sense...
    At least Drew will just come out and say he doesn't think being nuts and a threat yourself/others is reason to take someone's gun away.
    I'm not opposed to a law like that proposed in Colorado. What I'm saying is that I don't think it's failure to pass should cause us to just throw up our hands and cry "woe is me", or sit in a corner and pout. We have good, existing laws, that if people would just use them we could probably prevent at least some of of these events.

What do you think the "red flag law" is modeled after? You think somebody just thought the whole process up? It's modeled after emergency conservator/guardian laws, and even more closely modeled after order for protection laws used in domestic violence cases.

The order for protection laws won't work for gun cases unless you can identify a specific target, but if you've got someone who appears to family members to be unstable, who is collecting a bunch of guns, who is making violent or troubling statements on social media, or exhibiting the other "red flags" that everyone sees so clearly after the fact, get into court and get a guardian appointed. If the threat is real, a judge will take action. If it isn't, well then what action do you expect to be taken?
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

I'm not opposed to a law like that proposed in Colorado. What I'm saying is that I don't think it's failure to pass should cause us to just throw up our hands and cry "woe is me", or sit in a corner and pout. We have good, existing laws, that if people would just use them we could probably prevent at least some of of these events.

What do you think the "red flag law" is modeled after? You think somebody just thought the whole process up? It's modeled after emergency conservator/guardian laws, and even more closely modeled after order for protection laws used in domestic violence cases.

The order for protection laws won't work for gun cases unless you can identify a specific target, but if you've got someone who appears to family members to be unstable, who is collecting a bunch of guns, who is making violent or troubling statements on social media, or exhibiting the other "red flags" that everyone sees so clearly after the fact, get into court and get a guardian appointed. If the threat is real, a judge will take action. If it isn't, well then what action do you expect to be taken?
    The difference is the red flag law would allow taking the guns BEFORE getting into court, which could literally be the difference between life and death. And I'm not throwing up my hands saying woe is me, I'm saying Rs that pretend care about life are lying sacks of poop, here's exhibit AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB.

Thread Information