This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I'm not even an advocate of requiring ID's for voting. I agree that whatever voter fraud that is out there is so tiny that it doesn't warrant concern. But I hate objectively unreasonable arguments, and anyone who makes the argument that there are too many roadblocks to people getting a valid ID is making an objectively unreasonable argument.
    Local elections. That's where the necromancer employs his powers.
    Last edited by joecct; 05-07-2018, 10:29 AM.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45.32: QAnon Will Help Show the Truth

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      This is exactly your problem. For these poor schmucks who by choice or otherwise can't even be troubled to have an id, you and others like you on here require precisely ZERO effort before you'll say it's ok. Short of a government program in which agents arrive at a person's home with a valid id on a silver platter, it's nothing but roadblocks to you, is it?

The online passport card is another option. There are all kinds of options for anyone who is willing to put even less effort into it than it takes to go to the polling place to vote.

You don't have to do it online. Go to the post office. You can do it in person there.

I'm so sick of this specious "there are so many roadblocks preventing people from getting ids" argument.
      But there is no voter fraud. Let me repeat. There is no voter fraud. States have full records on everyone. They check and double check rolls. And they don't and haven't found fraud. D states don't find fraud. GOP states don't find fraud.

And this voter is not you. They have different concerns, different responsibilities. Some women have four children and are holding down a job. Some people have critical jobs where they have gotten the impression they can't just leave in the middle shift while managing a line of operations.

That is to say, not everyone is single, with no kids, sitting on a message board all day with time to research getting voter ids, just waiting to vote.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        But there is no voter fraud. Let me repeat. There is no voter fraud. States have full records on everyone. They check and double check rolls. And they don't and haven't found fraud. D states don't find fraud. GOP states don't find fraud.

And this voter is not you. They have different concerns, different responsibilities. Some women have four children and are holding down a job. Some people have critical jobs where they have gotten the impression they can't just leave in the middle shift while managing a line of operations.

That is to say, not everyone is single, with no kids, sitting on a message board all day with time to research getting voter ids, just waiting to vote.
        The real issue with voter fraud is the GOP has expertly ginned the issue up and made people afraid of it. Thus gathering more idiots without a functioning frontal lobe.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

See Glendenning v Sauerbrey Round 1 in MD gubernatorial. The dead voted early and often in Baltimore City. The courts knew it and kept it.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

But what I could do, with a pretty tiny amount of effort, is apply online for a passport card. I think it's maybe $30, and like passports themselves, are good for 10 years. Three bucks a year for something you can get online doesn't seem like it's too inconvenient.
            Charging people for an ID needed to vote = poll tax. I'd also point out that if the local knuckledraggers in the state decide to change what constitutes an acceptable ID, you could be paying for something that becomes useless in time for the next election, and if you'd be a fool to think Republicans wouldn't pull something like that.
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              Charging people for an ID needed to vote = poll tax. I'd also point out that if the local knuckledraggers in the state decide to change what constitutes an acceptable ID, you could be paying for something that becomes useless in time for the next election, and if you'd be a fool to think Republicans wouldn't pull something like that.
              If you want to make it free, I have no problem with that. It'll save me a few bucks too.

So you're figuring the next step will be that states will only accept a current NRA or KKK ID? That's the next real good argument you guys are going to dream up? Good to know.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                Some locales make you be away to vote absentee.
                Do they come and check?

"Um, I have to be out of town for work that day."
                < vote absentee >

First Tuesday after first Monday in November in year evenly divisible by four
                < knock on door >
                "Ve thought you vere going to be avay for verk."
                "My work schedule changed. Sorry."
                < shrug >
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  See Glendenning v Sauerbrey Round 1 in MD gubernatorial. The dead voted early and often in Baltimore City. The courts knew it and kept it.
                  And that's it? A handful of precincts from a Maryland state vote over 20 years ago...is why we need an overly complicated national scheme that will produce outsized burdens on millions with the potential of changing national elections for decades to come?
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    If anyone is interested in a real problem instead of this made up one look up 60 Minutes and Drug Prices in google. Lesley Stahl did a fantastic piece on drug prices last night and why we are getting gouged every time we need a medication from our doctor.
                    thanks to coming up short in the genetic lottery, i'm on a specialty drug that I take by injection 14 days. This costs over $1300 a month (~$650 per dose) and thankfully my insurance pays 100% with no co-pay (they do make my doctor fill out paperwork saying why I need this every 6 months, even though my genetics are still the same). This is purely preventative -- it does not alleviate any current symptoms, it's only to help prevent future health problems. That means someone without good insurance would probably forgo this newer treatment. Screw you if you aren't rich or don't have good insurance. Must be your fault.

Comment

If you want to make it free, I have no problem with that. It'll save me a few bucks too.

So you're figuring the next step will be that states will only accept a current NRA or KKK ID? That's the next real good argument you guys are going to dream up? Good to know.
                      Yes, it absolutely has to be free by law which is why these GOP efforts tend to get struck down.

I'll chalk your next statement up to being willfully obtuse, but let me counter with a real life example which you are then free to research yourself.

Back in 2012, PA Goopers passed a new more restrictive law regarding having an ID to vote. BUT - they included in the provision that anybody can go down to the RMV if they don't possess a valid drivers license and get a state ID for free. Sounds good, right?

Problem is, the RMV's were woefully understaffed to handle the demand in cities such as Philly, nor did they extend their hours thus forcing people to wait in line forever in order to get these free ID's. Pretty clever, wouldn't you say? Give the person the free ID's, just put a significant burden on them actually being able to obtain one. Hence the vote is suppressed and as the GOP House Speaker stated after the law was passed "this will ensure Mitt Romney's election". Oh, did I mention this was all done in 2012, the same year as the Presidential election.

Obviously the courts saw right threw this and declared the whole scheme illegal. The moral of the story is you underestimate the scum bag tactics of the Republican party at your own peril.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        And every voting district accepts a passport as legal ID for voting.
                        You funny
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Dirty China money?! Alien bio-duplication?!

Blankenship was right!

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                            Dirty China money?! Alien bio-duplication?!

Blankenship was right!
                            This guy's quickly becoming my favorite Republican since Roy Moore!

In other news, mookie has now made a substantial donation to Blankenship's GOP primary opponents after the dude dissed an Asian woman.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                              Do they come and check?

"Um, I have to be out of town for work that day."
                              < vote absentee >

First Tuesday after first Monday in November in year evenly divisible by four
                              < knock on door >
                              "Ve thought you vere going to be avay for verk."
                              "My work schedule changed. Sorry."
                              < shrug >
                              You ain’t wrong

Just sayin’
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                This guy's quickly becoming my favorite Republican since Roy Moore!

In other news, mookie has now made a substantial donation to Blankenship's GOP primary opponents after the dude dissed an Asian woman.
                                If it's not live minors, it's dead miners!
                                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X