Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Those media timeouts are very valuable to your radio and TV partners. You don’t get on TV without those time outs. Your radio outlets have a harder time meeting their expenses without those timeouts.
    I realize that media timeouts are here to stay. They can be utilized so much better, to not interrupt the flow of the game. I'm sure we've all seen instances where, due to icing, penalties, goals a long spans without whistles, etc, where there have been 2 media timeouts within 2 minutes (or less). Media timeouts should never happen in the last minute of a period, much less a game (seen both a lot).

There's also no reason the play-by-play person cannot run some advertisements. The microphone plugs into a control box of some sort. All you need is a button to push to play a quick add. Or, they can go old school and have the color commentator actually read ads on air. Traveling and don't have a color guy? The team has two players not playing. Good PR for them.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
      I realize that media timeouts are here to stay. They can be utilized so much better, to not interrupt the flow of the game. I'm sure we've all seen instances where, due to icing, penalties, goals a long spans without whistles, etc, where there have been 2 media timeouts within 2 minutes (or less). Media timeouts should never happen in the last minute of a period, much less a game (seen both a lot).

There's also no reason the play-by-play person cannot run some advertisements. The microphone plugs into a control box of some sort. All you need is a button to push to play a quick add. Or, they can go old school and have the color commentator actually read ads on air. Traveling and don't have a color guy? The team has two players not playing. Good PR for them.
      First of all, you haven't seen a media timeout in the final minute. If the last one hasn't been taken by the 1:00 mark, it gets dropped.

As far as non-dressing players, some leagues don't allow them in the pressbox. And it also potentially puts them in a difficult position depending on what happens in the game. I'm sure if you think PBP guys should be reading or playing ads, you don't want them also training a new analyst at the same time.

The "fast faceoff" rules have strained the ability to get ads placed during the period. That's the reason media timeouts were introduced in the first place in college hockey. And if you think that all the spots should just be moved to the intermissions or pregame, how many people do you think would just not listen if they knew that was coming? No listeners = no one buys ads = you lose the broadcast.

And remember it's not the radio guys who are calling for these timeouts. They're at the mercy of the referees and off-ice officials and have to react on the fly. That's after many if not most spend their weeks selling these spots and many times producing them so that they are ready for a show.

Comment

Re: Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix?

Perhaps we should consider another example: soccer. That's approximately 50 minutes of straight broadcast (45 minute half, a couple minutes stoppage time, 1 minute for intro, 1 minute for outro). An ice hockey period without commercials is around 30 minutes. How does soccer get away with it? What can we learn from those lessons to apply to our game?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Perhaps we should consider another example: soccer. That's approximately 50 minutes of straight broadcast (45 minute half, a couple minutes stoppage time, 1 minute for intro, 1 minute for outro). An ice hockey period without commercials is around 30 minutes. How does soccer get away with it? What can we learn from those lessons to apply to our game?
          For starters, team names/logos will be replaced by sponsor names/logos on all jerseys. Team names/logos will instead be small patches on the upper left side of the jersey.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
            Any chance you have the ability the ratio of OT wins to ties then and now? I have a feeling that with today's goaltending and scoring rates it's nowhere near what it was back then.
            At this time what I have is limited, but here is what I do have:

Code:
            Season  RS games OT games won tied %OT games   % won  % tied
            1975-76    552       61    44   17    11.05%  72.13%  27.87%
            1984-85    805      109    77   32    13.54%  70.64%  29.36%
            1998-99    922      144    55   89    15.62%  38.19%  61.81%
            2012-13   1002      196    62  134    19.56%  31.63%  68.37%
            2013-14   1003      168    55  113    16.75%  32.74%  67.26%
            2014-15   1002      190    78  112    18.96%  41.05%  58.95%
            2015-16   1021      219    78  141    21.45%  35.62%  64.38%
            2016-17   1018      186    58  128    18.27%  31.18%  68.82%
            2017-18   1016      189    72  117    18.60%  38.10%  61.90%

2012-18   6062     1148   403  745    18.94%  35.10%  64.90%
            The numbers are for regular season games only and any multiple overtimes have been excluded. However, there may be a few single overtime games that went beyond the 5/10 minute mark if the games required a winner for an in season tournament. As can be seen the percentage of games that have gone into overtime has increased from 11% in 1975-76 to an average of 18.6% over the past six seasons. The percentage of games tied after overtime has increased from 28% in 1975-76 to an average of 64.9% over the past six seasons, with a low of 58.95% in 2014-15 to a high of 68.82% in 2016-17.

That is a significant increase, but some of it is due to the shortening of overtime from 10 to 5 minutes. As I posted previously, I believe at the time the change was made it was stated that 70% of all games won in overtime occurred in the first 5 minutes. Assuming that is accurate, then in 1975-76 another 13 games would have been tied after 5 minutes and in 1984-85 another 23 games would have been tied. That would change the numbers to 31 won and 30 tied in 1975-76 and 54 won and 55 tied in 1984-85. That would drop the gap from 65%-29% to 65%-50%. Using the same percentage, if overtime was still 10 minutes, in 1998-99 another 24 games would have been won, bring the numbers to 79 won and 65 tied, and over the past six seasons another 173 games would have been won, bringing the numbers to 576 won and 572 tied. That would drop the gap from between 1975-76 and the past six seasons from 65%-29% to 50%-29%. The best way to see how the change from 10 to 5 minute overtimes affected the number of ties would be to look at the seasons immediately before and after the change, but I currently don't have that information readily available.

Also, the percentage of games that have gone into overtime has increased. As can be seen 11% of games in 1975-76, 13.5% of games in 1984-85 and 15.6% of the games in 1998-99 went to overtime, while the past six seasons 18.94% of games have gone to overtime. Part of this is the changes in NCAA rules regarding opponents, as in 1975-76 and 1984-85 teams regularly played games against Canadian (32 & 51), DII (52 & 8), DIII (17 & 48), NAIA (4 & 16) and even club teams (2 & 6) that were all counted as games. Now, very few games are played against non-DI opponents outside of exhibition games. This disparity in opponents is reflected in the average margin of victory, which has decreased from 3.272 in 1975-76 to 2.975 in 1984-85 to an average of 2.152 over the past five seasons.

Of course, better goaltending and lower scoring is also a factor, as the average goals per games in 1975-76 was 9.828, in 1984-85 it was 8.662, in 1998-99 it was 6.436 and over the past five seasons it has averaged 5.613.

Sean
            Last edited by Sean Pickett; 04-22-2018, 11:17 AM. Reason: corrected typos
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

On the ice, I'd like to see shootouts and the trapezoid. Both would make the game better for the fans instead.

Off the ice, enact the B1G age proposal, and give the regular season champion an automatic bid.
              1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                First of all, you haven't seen a media timeout in the final minute. If the last one hasn't been taken by the 1:00 mark, it gets dropped.
                I have many times. It happens fairly often in Bowling Green. Pretty sure there was one instance this season or last where a media timeout happened in the final 30 seconds of a game.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                  I have many times. It happens fairly often in Bowling Green. Pretty sure there was one instance this season or last where a media timeout happened in the final 30 seconds of a game.
                  Then that's the fault of either the official or the off-ice timekeeper, because it's WCHA policy that you aren't supposed to do that.

Comment

Soccer... That's approximately 50 minutes of straight broadcast (45 minute half, a couple minutes stoppage time, 1 minute for intro, 1 minute for outro). An ice hockey period without commercials is around 30 minutes. How does soccer get away with it?
                    Because no one is actually watching soccer...
                    Ryan
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      Because no one is actually watching soccer...
                      Ryan
                      Nobody's watching hockey either...
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Nobody's watching hockey either...
                        The WCHA Championship game was televised to in incredibly strong audience in its market because a media outlet found it to be a worthwhile investment.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by SpauldingSmails View Post
                          Yes. And go back to having rules about the size of curves...maybe even flat sticks to increase the use of backhanded shots.
                          And re-instate the ban on forward passes.
                          Can't we all just get along?
                          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Soccer never stops. It's not a matter of getting away with anything. That's just how the game is played. TV has figured out to just run ads alongside the game like they do with NASCAR. I'm not sure what radio broadcasts of soccer games do for commercials. I can't imagine a scenario where I could ever be found listening to soccer on the radio... unless I was suffering from insomnia.
                            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Haven't been to a game at RPI lately, eh?
                              No, I haven't. It's been a few years. Couldn't even make it out when the Tigers visited in 2016... darn kids

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                Those media timeouts are very valuable to your radio and TV partners. You don’t get on TV without those time outs. Your radio outlets have a harder time meeting their expenses without those timeouts.
                                Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                                Do you like the idea of TV and radio outlets no longer covering college hockey at all?
                                Pre-game, in between periods, postgame. Squeeze in one per period at when a penalty occurs. All these media timeouts shorten the bench too much.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X