Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix?

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
    In the NCHC, every game will be an in-season tournament!

r
    I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't the last we hard about it though, similar to the arguments surrounding the changes they wanted to make to the PK in 2010. I wouldn't be shocked if this was amended before July.

Comment

Not a single D1 representative west of Pennsylvania and none from a conference that used 3on3. What positive is gained by taking away the option for conferences?

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
        Not a single D1 representative west of Pennsylvania and none from a conference that used 3on3. What positive is gained by taking away the option for conferences?
        When the game is different from conference to conference, you're spending more time preparing for all these weird nuances in non-conference games (remember that the host team's conference's rules are used). Let's also consider, when 3x3 happens, the game has been extended beyond NCAA sanction when it is not deemed necessary for match-up that there must be a winner and a loser, which adds to the risk of injury, so it can be construed that the NCAA is protecting the interest of the student athlete.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          When the game is different from conference to conference, you're spending more time preparing for all these weird nuances in non-conference games (remember that the host team's conference's rules are used). Let's also consider, when 3x3 happens, the game has been extended beyond NCAA sanction when it is not deemed necessary for match-up that there must be a winner and a loser, which adds to the risk of injury, so it can be construed that the NCAA is protecting the interest of the student athlete.
          Non-conference teams are not forced to play beyond the 5 minutes regardless of the location of the game. If any Hockey East coach spends even a minute "preparing" for 3on3 over time because of an upcoming nonconference game, they are focusing on the wrong things.

I can't find it right now, but a poll of players in the nchc about 3on3 overtime showed a significant majority of them were in favor. That's not protecting the players interest, especially if those same players want the experience so they're prepared for literally every other hockey league.
          Last edited by cF[Authentic]; 06-16-2018, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
            Non-conference teams are not forced to play beyond the 5 minutes regardless of the location of the game. If any Hockey East coach spends even a minute "preparing" for 3on3 over time because of an upcoming nonconference game, they are focusing on the wrong things.

I can't find it right now, but a poll of players in the nchc about 3on3 overtime showed a significant majority of them were in favor. That's not protecting the players interest, especially if those same players want the experience so they're prepared for literally every other hockey league.
            Have you even bore witness to any away non-conference games aside from the final score? When a non-conference game happens, they go by the league's rules of the host team, because it is the host team that chooses the ground rules. When playing at AHC, the game must have three breaks during a period, because that is the league's rule. When playing at B1G, you must conclude a tied game with a shootout, because that is the league's rule. When playing at ECAC, after 5 minute OT, the game ends as a tie, because that is the league's rule. If there is no host team or league, then the NCAA rules take precedence. And if your argument is that they can argue for NCAA rules, as much as it is technically true, it doesn't bode well for relations between the schools.

Comment

Why do the western D1 leagues have the gimmicks while the eastern D1 and all of D3 do not?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Have you even bore witness to any away non-conference games aside from the final score? When a non-conference game happens, they go by the league's rules of the host team, because it is the host team that chooses the ground rules. When playing at AHC, the game must have three breaks during a period, because that is the league's rule. When playing at B1G, you must conclude a tied game with a shootout, because that is the league's rule. When playing at ECAC, after 5 minute OT, the game ends as a tie, because that is the league's rule. If there is no host team or league, then the NCAA rules take precedence. And if your argument is that they can argue for NCAA rules, as much as it is technically true, it doesn't bode well for relations between the schools.
                Nope, I've never seen any away non-conference games despite having worked for a D1 hockey team for the last 9 years...

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Why do the western D1 leagues have the gimmicks while the eastern D1 and all of D3 do not?
                  Eastern bias.
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                    Eastern bias.
                    Considering there’s only one rep from a program west of Pennsylvania, there might be something to that.
                    Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

I’m frankly annoyed af the clap back coming from a lot of college hockey media over this.

They are full of all the childish “I hate ties because I hate ties” circular logic and the way they talk about how awful it is to watch 5x5 hockey you’d think that they must genuinely hate the sport entirely. What’s really sad is the contingent who say this puts college hockey “back in the Stone Age”.

Let’s be honest: 3x3 OT and shootouts (and to a lesser extent: the 4x4 OT that preceded it) has nothing to advancing the game or making it better. It’s an attempt to cater to a very low common denominator that frankly is aimed at people who don’t even care about hockey.

It’s also a bad attempt to address a conservative and dull element of game theory (“hanging on for the tie”). All short handed OT accomplishes is moving the goalposts. Instead of hanging on for a tie, dull coaches hang on for their guaranteed point and pray for coin flip to go their way in a shootout. If people gave a **** about actually fixing bad game theory from dullard coaches, they’d make regulation wins 3 points to provide an incentive to go for the win.
                      Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 06-17-2018, 10:42 PM.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        I’m frankly annoyed af the clap back coming from a lot of college hockey media over this.

They are full of all the childish “I hate ties because I hate ties” circular logic and the way they talk about how awful it is to watch 5x5 hockey you’d think that they must genuinely hate the sport entirely. What’s really sad is the contingent who say this puts college hockey “back in the Stone Age”.

Let’s be honest: 3x3 OT and shootouts (and to a lesser extent: the 4x4 OT that preceded it) has nothing to advancing the game or making it better. It’s an attempt to cater to a very low common denominator that frankly is aimed at people who don’t even care about hockey.

It’s also a bad attempt to address a conservative and dull element of game theory (“hanging on for the tie”). All short handed OT accomplishes is moving the goalposts. Instead of hanging on for a tie, dull coaches hang on for their guaranteed point and pray for coin flip to go their way in a shootout. If people gave a **** about actually fixing bad game theory from dullard coaches, they’d make regulation wins 3 points to provide an incentive to go for the win.
                        Every 3 on 3 OT I watch in the NHL is one team holding possession until the other team tires out and gets a grade A chance. It is pretty much a coin flip in it.

I am all for ties...
                        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

And not only that, but the "brain children" also think the game would be more marketable if there's more scoring. Dopamine treatment, effectively. And then they have to remove fighting to anger the viewer since that's what they expect, and to make the dopamine more powerful. We have an easier time looking past fighting since it's been out of the game for a while, but at least there is still the honor of physical enforcement in preventing cheap shots.

When you look at the game purely, you can even find excitement in a hard fought 0-0 tie, all for the same reasons four and five overtimes get exciting in the playoffs. And sure, they've used terminology like sibling affection to try to turn the brainwashed away from ties, but there's nothing wrong with no ground being gained on either side.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            If people gave a **** about actually fixing bad game theory from dullard coaches, they’d make regulation wins 3 points to provide an incentive to go for the win.
                            That is the way the WCHA handled it. A regulation win or a win in the 5 on 5 OT was worth three points. Tied after the OT period, each team got a point and then 3 on 3 and, if needed, the sudden death shootout, determined who got the third point.

What I don't like is the mandate dictating on how all leagues handle their games/standings. If the WCHA wants to make their games worth three points and have a structure in place for determining the points and abiding by the 5 on 5 OT rule, why should any other league care if they want to play 3 on 3 or go to a shootout? In the eyes of the NCAA, it is a tie after the 5 on 5 OT and they abide by the rules by playing a 5 minute OT period, so be it. I know it makes the standings at the end of the year a lot more interesting when three points on the line and a team could end up getting 0, 1, 2 or 3 in a game.
                            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Outside of the Beanpot, does any D1 tournament use unlimited 20 min OT?

IIRC, some D3 tournaments had a single 5 < OT < 20, but counted an NCAA tie if nobody scored after 5 and a shootout after the OT ended.

IF everyone played 5 then there is a common standard for determining NCAA wins and losses. What you do after that is your business.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Outside of the Beanpot, does any D1 tournament use unlimited 20 min OT?
                                The national tournament, as well as league playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X