Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix?

I'd like to see the OT change go to 5x5 or 4x4 OT with each team getting 1pt after a regulation tie. If still tied then go to a shootout with the shootout winner getting the 3rd pt.
    Last edited by e.cat; 04-29-2018, 05:56 PM.
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

No. Just no. God no.

Comment

I would be interested in seeing what would happen if you gave 3 points for a win and 1 point for a tie. Of course this would only work for conference games.

Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Here's a mind blower....no backward pass allowed unless in your attacking zone.
          The NCAA already has a rule similar to this, but it is never called:
          76.2 Advancing Puck - Except to carry the puck behind its goal once, a team in possession of the puck in its own defending zone must advance the puck toward the opposing goal, unless it is prevented from so doing by players of the opposing team.
          PENALTY—For initial violation, play shall be stopped and a faceoff conducted at either end-zone faceoff spot adjacent to the goal of the team causing the stoppage, and the referee shall warn the captain of the offending team of the reason for the faceoff. For a second violation by any player of the same team in the same period, a minor shall be assessed to the offending player.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
            The NCAA already has a rule similar to this, but it is never called:
            76.2 Advancing Puck - Except to carry the puck behind its goal once, a team in possession of the puck in its own defending zone must advance the puck toward the opposing goal, unless it is prevented from so doing by players of the opposing team.
            PENALTY—For initial violation, play shall be stopped and a faceoff conducted at either end-zone faceoff spot adjacent to the goal of the team causing the stoppage, and the referee shall warn the captain of the offending team of the reason for the faceoff. For a second violation by any player of the same team in the same period, a minor shall be assessed to the offending player.

Sean
            There are a few odd rules in the book that don't necessarily get called, including some timing related rules based on what point in the game you're in (see the rule on dislodging the net). I can understand this rule because it goes along the lines of delaying of game, but if there's a forechecker, you can't really call this because forward movement is being prevented. Seems more like a response to that one Devils game where they set up the 1-3-1 defense and the puck just stayed behind the net.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              There are a few odd rules in the book that don't necessarily get called, including some timing related rules based on what point in the game you're in (see the rule on dislodging the net). I can understand this rule because it goes along the lines of delaying of game, but if there's a forechecker, you can't really call this because forward movement is being prevented. Seems more like a response to that one Devils game where they set up the 1-3-1 defense and the puck just stayed behind the net.
              I think that was a Philly-Tampa game. NJ did popularize the trap, but they weren't involved in the game when some coach finally said "enough."

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VV1PrbkK3E
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                  I'd like to see the OT change go to 5x5 or 4x4 OT with each team getting 1pt after a regulation tie. If still tied then go to a shootout with the shootout winner getting the 3rd pt.
                  I was with you until you got to the part about shootouts. #nothockey
                  Last edited by Split-N; 04-30-2018, 08:47 AM.
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    I don't consider dislodging the net an odd rule, but I agree that many don't get called, or only called late in a game. As for advancing the puck out of the defensive zone, the rule has existed since 1986-87, when it was Rule 6, Section 34. b.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                    NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                      I was with you until you got to the part about shootouts. #nothockey
                      I don't necessarily like the shootout either but I would rather have a shootout win than an OT tie to end the game.

Comment

The way that the rule book is written now seems to be an appropriate compromise between the two crowds when consideration is in place for the national tournament. I would consider taking it one step further, and eliminate overtime from the consideration altogether unless the playoffs format (i.e. keep going 5v5 until someone scores) is used. Let the leagues decide how they want to handle overtime. If they want to do 3v3, 4v4, 5v5, tie after x minutes, shootout, or even just end the game after 60 and call it a tie, it can be up to them. At the end of the day, league standings mean jack squat for national tournament consideration, only for how the league determines who to send as their auto-bid. And in all reality, the same could theoretically also be done for league playoffs, although you might have a riot on your hands if you actually did that, because as much as it is taxing on the players, stalemate is historically exciting for the spectators, and has been used in the past for match fixing by producers to garner ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                          I don't necessarily like the shootout either but I would rather have a shootout win than an OT tie to end the game.
                          Why in the world would you object to each team receiving a standings point when, after regulation plus OT, neither team proved to be better than the other? It's the only fair outcome. Neither a shootout nor any other "gimmick" establishes the superiority of one team over the other to the extent that it justifies an artificial advantage in the standings. #nothockey
                          Last edited by Split-N; 04-30-2018, 11:25 AM.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                            Why in the world would you object to each team receiving a standings point when, after regulation plus OT, neither team proved to be better than the other? It's the only fair outcome. Neither a shootout nor any other "gimmick" establishes the superiority of one team over the other to the extent that it justifies an artificial advantage in the standings. #nothockey
                            My view has evolved on this. If I had my druthers at this point. I'd like to see each team get a point after a regulation tie. A team can get an extra point if they win the OT.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              ....and also the player health. The grinding game takes such a physical toll on the players, painkillers and other sort of systemic issues. From hits due to being cornered with less ice space, to blocking shots to clog lanes rather than free skating, the players pay a price.
                              I'm not buying this. A couple more shifts every 4th game isn't going to take time off a player's playing career or turn a player into an addict.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                                I don't consider dislodging the net an odd rule, but I agree that many don't get called, or only called late in a game. As for advancing the puck out of the defensive zone, the rule has existed since 1986-87, when it was Rule 6, Section 34. b.

Sean
                                Dislodging isn't really odd so much as the "within the last two minutes or in overtime" clause.

Comment

Working...
                                X