Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    The national tournament, as well as league playoffs.
    Ha ha. REGULAR season tournament.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix?

I have been working on compiling composite season results for men's and women's teams for a a while now (I have more men's seasons) and I have uploaded a workbook with men's overtime games for 1975-76, 1984-85, 1986-89 (all 10-minute overtimes except for CCHA league games in 88-89), 1998-99, 2008-09 and 2012-18 and women's overtime games for 2015-18. As the overtime rules are for both men and women I have also combined the 2015-18 numbers for overall NCAA totals. For the past three seasons the combined win rate for overtime games has been 35% and if you go back to the 1988-89 CCHA games the average win rate for men's overtime games for the season's I have is 35.78%, with individual seasons fluctuating between a high of 41.38% (1988-89 CCHA) and a low of 31.18% (2016-17 - the women had a low of 30.53%). I still have to compile more seasons, especially for women's games, but it appears that only about 1/3 of overtime games have a winner with the 5 minute overtime. Compare that to the average win rate for men's overtime games through the 1988-89 season (excluding CCHA games) of 66.1%, or 2/3 of overtime games having a winner.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
        What I don't like is the mandate dictating on how all leagues handle their games/standings.
        Originally posted by joecct View Post
        IF everyone played 5 then there is a common standard for determining NCAA wins and losses. What you do after that is your business.
        For good or bad the NCAA has wanted conformity across the board going back to at least 1988-89 when the CCHA adopted the 5-minute overtime and it was accepted as the new standard the following season. In 1994-95 and 1995-96 Hockey East used a shootout after the overtime period, but after 2 years it was not accepted and Hockey East had to stop using it.

Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          I have been working on compiling composite season results for men's and women's teams for a a while now (I have more men's seasons) and I have uploaded a workbook with men's overtime games for 1975-76, 1984-85, 1986-89 (all 10-minute overtimes except for CCHA league games in 88-89), 1998-99, 2008-09 and 2012-18 and women's overtime games for 2015-18. As the overtime rules are for both men and women I have also combined the 2015-18 numbers for overall NCAA totals. For the past three seasons the combined win rate for overtime games has been 35% and if you go back to the 1988-89 CCHA games the average win rate for men's overtime games for the season's I have is 35.78%, with individual seasons fluctuating between a high of 41.38% (1988-89 CCHA) and a low of 31.18% (2016-17 - the women had a low of 30.53%). I still have to compile more seasons, especially for women's games, but it appears that only about 1/3 of overtime games have a winner with the 5 minute overtime. Compare that to the average win rate for men's overtime games through the 1988-89 season (excluding CCHA games) of 66.1%, or 2/3 of overtime games having a winner.

Sean
          I have a spreadsheet with results back to pre-1900 for men’s. Would love to compare results with you to see if I’m missing any info or if there are any inconsistencies.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I have a spreadsheet with results back to pre-1900 for men’s. Would love to compare results with you to see if I’m missing any info or if there are any inconsistencies.
            I'm guessing this is from my old database, in which case I'd expect there are lots of inconsistencies For sure, nothing prior to 1986-87 is complete.

It's now here (searchable! - this was the intent all along and one of the reasons I moved it): http://chdb.host-ed.me/cgi-bin/hockey.pl
            This was a fun project but I've had no time to work on it for years. The last three seasons aren't even in it.

The seasons from 1986-87 to present are from composite score lists (Hockey-L, USCHO, collegehockeystats.net). Prior to that it's almost all from scraping various teams' media guides or web pages. I did some amount of checking inconsistencies and filling in other stuff using Google News back when it didn't suck. I tried to mark when media guides didn't agree in reddish (or yellowish if I figured out who was right) but I can't be sure anymore that I was 100% consistent on that either.

At this point I just hope this is helpful. I've always though something like this should exist, but I don't trust my data or my ability to spend time on it enough to say this is it

I'd still like to know if you or anyone else find any errors in it.

Comment

Oh my god I’ve been waiting for you to come back and resurrect that link. I had the old .mx link I’d check once every two or three months to see if it was live again.

I have found a bunch of other games from media guides.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I might have lost my entire weekend if it wasn’t already full.
                Code:

Comment

Originally posted by bumpreader View Post
                  I'm guessing this is from my old database, in which case I'd expect there are lots of inconsistencies For sure, nothing prior to 1986-87 is complete.

It's now here (searchable! - this was the intent all along and one of the reasons I moved it): http://chdb.host-ed.me/cgi-bin/hockey.pl
                  This was a fun project but I've had no time to work on it for years. The last three seasons aren't even in it.

The seasons from 1986-87 to present are from composite score lists (Hockey-L, USCHO, collegehockeystats.net). Prior to that it's almost all from scraping various teams' media guides or web pages. I did some amount of checking inconsistencies and filling in other stuff using Google News back when it didn't suck. I tried to mark when media guides didn't agree in reddish (or yellowish if I figured out who was right) but I can't be sure anymore that I was 100% consistent on that either.

At this point I just hope this is helpful. I've always though something like this should exist, but I don't trust my data or my ability to spend time on it enough to say this is it

I'd still like to know if you or anyone else find any errors in it.
                  Looks like the DB is down...
                  Code:

Comment

The west wins again!

r

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                      However good to see that, non-conference wise unless it is a tournament, teams aren't forced into the skills competition because the binary mind can't comprehend a tie.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        However good to see that, non-conference wise unless it is a tournament, teams aren't forced into the skills competition because the binary mind can't comprehend a tie.
                        I agree, that's a good addition. Never understood the shootout in noncon play.

r

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                          I agree, that's a good addition. Never understood the shootout in noncon play.

r
                          Only reason it happened is because the conference rules for the home team mandated it for regular season play. Now the only thing to worry about, in non-con play, is official timeout protocol.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Only reason it happened is because the conference rules for the home team mandated it for regular season play. Now the only thing to worry about, in non-con play, is official timeout protocol.
                            Home team. they have game sponsors to keep happy
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Home team. they have game sponsors to keep happy
                              Or in AHC's case, RIT rules all.

Comment

One thought came up while discussing the changes in another thread: Are single trophy games considered to be part of the tournament format that allows shootouts? In years past, the Mayor's Cup between RPI and Union has mentioned (although it has yet to come to pass) that, after 65 minutes, a shootout is used to determine who gets the trophy. Would this also apply to other trophy games, such as other Mayor's or Governor's cups?

Comment

Working...
                                X