Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix?

2018's off-season is going to be a rule change year. What sort of things are under consideration this time around?

Hopefully it won't be as bad as 2010 was.

Re: Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix?

what I'd like to see:

"Aggressive" and "Dangerous" fouls are non releaseable - you must serve the full 2 minutes.
    Can't ice from the defensive zone on the PK.

D3 men have the option of RRL as an officiating system.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Go to a 10 minute overtime instead of 5 minutes....BUT NO Shoot-Outs....

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
        Go to a 10 minute overtime instead of 5 minutes....BUT NO Shoot-Outs....
        10 minute OT sounds good but then you'd have to resurface the ice after the 3rd period. I agree on the no shootouts thing as far as the NCAA is concerned but if a conference wants to do them for conference standings only so be it. I'm not a fan of them but for conference points they are tolerable. I like the idea of a 1o minute OT but there is the resurfacing issue though.
        Originally posted by alfablue
        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

So at how many minutes would they have to resurface if at 5 they don't and 10 they do? Would 6,7 or 8 minute OT's be OK?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            what I'd like to see:

"Aggressive" and "Dangerous" fouls are non releaseable - you must serve the full 2 minutes.
            Can't ice from the defensive zone on the PK.

D3 men have the option of RRL as an officiating system.
            2010 called, and they want their terrible ideas back.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
              So at how many minutes would they have to resurface if at 5 they don't and 10 they do? Would 6,7 or 8 minute OT's be OK?
              IMHO you shouldn't go beyond 25 total minutes of play without resurfacing for safety reasons. Even in the NHL they do a dry scrape just prior to the Shootout. They used to do a full resurface down the center (2 passes only) but that took too much time and ruined the flow of the game. Like I said I like the idea of going 10 minutes but you'd need to add an if necessary intermission. That would be ify.

*Please note, that is just my opinion based on conversations with players over the years.
              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Back in the dark ages (pre mid 90s), all NCAA overtimes were 10 minutes.

Then the evil CCHA went to 5 minute OTs and the rest of the NCAA soon followed.

And nobody resurfaced
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Back in the dark ages (pre mid 90s), all NCAA overtimes were 10 minutes.

Then the evil CCHA went to 5 minute OTs and the rest of the NCAA soon followed.

And nobody resurfaced
                  Sure, blame it on us....

Comment

The more and more i see linesman try to decide what icing is, the more confusing it gets. The "new" icing is probably here to stay but i would look to try and improve it if there's a way.

Comment

As much as I hate slowing down a game, review replay before a major is called. Major for "contact to the head" should at least involve contacting the head.

And redefine interference. If pick plays are acceptable a the rule needs to reflect it.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                        As much as I hate slowing down a game, review replay before a major is called. Major for "contact to the head" should at least involve contacting the head.

And redefine interference. If pick plays are acceptable a the rule needs to reflect it.
                        They already review them in the playoffs, so it was probably a pilot; wouldn't be surprised if it comes to the regular season. I do agree, especially with the whole league forcing timeouts during the game, that games are getting long. I remember when it was a nice 2 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          They already review them in the playoffs, so it was probably a pilot; wouldn't be surprised if it comes to the regular season. I do agree, especially with the whole league forcing timeouts during the game, that games are getting long. I remember when it was a nice 2 hours.
                          Along with that, media timeouts need addressed as well. If a team calls a timeout, do a media timeout. Reviewing a play, do a media timeout. There's no reason to have these long delays for reviews, injuries, and team timeouts, to then turn around and have a media timeout at the very next whistle. Happens almost every game and drags them out even longer.

Comment

Along with that, media timeouts need addressed as well. If a team calls a timeout, do a media timeout. Reviewing a play, do a media timeout. There's no reason to have these long delays for reviews, injuries, and team timeouts, to then turn around and have a media timeout at the very next whistle. Happens almost every game and drags them out even longer.
                            This!!! Yet another factor corroding the appeal of our game and, in turn, contributing to the steady decline in the numbers of butts in the seats.
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

And for crying out loud, no media timeouts after goals!

Comment

Working...
                              X