Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix?

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    "The committee noted that overall, officiating standards used in some faceoffs might need to be improved."

Wow. No s***, Sherlock.

If I have to watch one more linesman put the puck on a yo-yo string for four false faceoffs, kick a guy out, and then immediately drop the puck when the replacement player comes in...

I also thought it was interesting that after all these years of trying to convince us to call them assistant referees, the video flat out calls them linesmen again.
    Amen.

Also, some of those slashing examples now being called a minor is kind of
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
      ...There is already too much crap on the ice to be adding more lines.
      Amen, brother. I wish people would stop trying to fix things that aren't broken.
      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Refs are probably far enough that they can see it peripherally... assuming...
        Pretty sure he meant the players, not the officials.
        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
          Pretty sure he meant the players, not the officials.
          No, it's the officials. And if it were the players, it'd be the one on the bench jumping off. Only thing the person on the ice is concerned about at that point is getting to the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
            Amen, brother. I wish people would stop trying to fix things that aren't broken.
            If they weren't broken, why the heck is it coming up in committee?

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              If they weren't broken, why the heck is it coming up in committee?
              I wouldn't say it didn't need addressed. The thing with drawing another line on the ice is it becomes a concentration point. Linesman knows the line change is coming so he starts staring at the line to make sure there's no violations there and misses the icing, offsides, hand pass, etc. They don't need to nitpick the rule to the inch. They just need to tighten things up.

Comment

No, it's the officials. And if it were the players, it'd be the one on the bench jumping off. Only thing the person on the ice is concerned about at that point is getting to the bench.
                The look up (look out!) line is a warning track to let the players know they're in the danger zone for hits from behind.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Or you add the lines, keep calling it as best you can, and worry about whether the skater was a micron over the line on review.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    The look up (look out!) line is a warning track to let the players know they're in the danger zone for hits from behind.
                    I'm well aware of what it is designed to do. Any good engineer with an ounce of creativity will look at something and see what it can do. If it's around 5 feet from the boards, it can serve a dual purpose. Any more or less, and it should be able to be "ballpark'd".

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                      I wouldn't say it didn't need addressed. The thing with drawing another line on the ice is it becomes a concentration point. Linesman knows the line change is coming so he starts staring at the line to make sure there's no violations there and misses the icing, offsides, hand pass, etc. They don't need to nitpick the rule to the inch. They just need to tighten things up.
                      Unfortunately it needed to be addressed because some smart*** coach asked the question, "How do you quantify that?" Therefore, we end up with rules like this. And then, as is evidenced by the last page or so on the thread, someone asked, "Well, how do you know it's five feet?"

Comment

Don't need a 5 foot line on the ice. Seems like the clarification is to get rid of the 20 foot changes that have been happening. 5 feet is not much more than an arm's length.

Comment

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
                          Don't need a 5 foot line on the ice. Seems like the clarification is to get rid of the 20 foot changes that have been happening. 5 feet is not much more than an arm's length.
                          It's longer than an arm's length. For some posters, it's fingertip to fingertip.

Complete agreement we don't need a line, especially if we don't need circles around the non-center neutral zone faceoff dots. Just calling a spade a spade.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Or you add the lines, keep calling it as best you can, and worry about whether the skater was a micron over the line on review.
                            So this is something else that will be reviewable?
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                              So this is something else that will be reviewable?
                              Currently you can't review if something's a penalty; the only thing that can be reviewed is whether a penalty warrants a game misconduct. That being said, I have seen goals called back on account of too many men on the ice, and I do wonder if, through, replay, you can call that penalty, or if the penalty has to be let go and only the goal disallowed.

Comment

Currently you can't review if something's a penalty; the only thing that can be reviewed is whether a penalty warrants a game misconduct. That being said, I have seen goals called back on account of too many men on the ice, and I do wonder if, through, replay, you can call that penalty, or if the penalty has to be let go and only the goal disallowed.
                                Kind of like disallowing a goal because of "goaltender interference," with no penalty called.

Comment

Working...
                                X