• Show
Clear All

Re: 2018-19 NMU Hockey Season

St. Cloud State 5 NMU 0 (Final)

http://www.nmuwildcats.com/sports/mi...20181020wvskvh

Comment

Well, season's over

Not the weekend we wanted, but if SCSU is truly an elite team, this weekend was probably a learning experience that will pay dividends in March. We'll just need to move on to the Beavers this weekend. I think we'll see what kind of resiliency this team has when we see how they come out of the gate on Friday. Bemidji should be a winnable series before another two weeks of top tier competition. I'd be curious to see where NMU ranks in Strength of Schedule come Deer Season. Bemidji will probably be the only unranked team with SCSU and Cornell being Top 10. That's just a brutal start to the schedule...
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

NMU Hockey (1-3-0) is currently #37 in KRACH & #49 in PairWise

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          Well, season's over

Not the weekend we wanted, but if SCSU is truly an elite team, this weekend was probably a learning experience that will pay dividends in March. We'll just need to move on to the Beavers this weekend. I think we'll see what kind of resiliency this team has when we see how they come out of the gate on Friday. Bemidji should be a winnable series before another two weeks of top tier competition. I'd be curious to see where NMU ranks in Strength of Schedule come Deer Season. Bemidji will probably be the only unranked team with SCSU and Cornell being Top 10. That's just a brutal start to the schedule...
          Come on these early rankings mean about squat. The KRACH and Pairwise mean even less.

Regardless of how elite SCSU "may be" I was a little disappointed on how slanted the games were. Long season, see how things evolve.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            Well, season's over

In the 15-16 season, MSU-M went up to St. Cloud and got shut out twice. We still went on the get a share of the MacNaughton and to reach the conference championship game that season. St. Cloud is a top-notch program and that's a tough place to play. You guys will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
              Come on these early rankings mean about squat. The KRACH and Pairwise mean even less.

Regardless of how elite SCSU "may be" I was a little disappointed on how slanted the games were. Long season, see how things evolve.
              I think RB was being a litte “tongue in cheek” with the season’s over comment. And you’re right. A wedding vow on a daytime soap opera is far more meaningful than the PWR at this point and the KRACH is completely meaningless, since it has no bearing on anything whatsoever.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                I put more faith in the obviously flawed Pairwise Rankings than I do the weekly polls or the Buccihack Top 10. I wouldn't rely on the PWR this early because of the volatility, but it's better than the subjective eye test.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

It's a long journey from #49 PairWise to #16 PairWise so I'd rather be at #20 at any given time during the season.... At least you have a chance at #20 so that would be a good number to shoot for.... Lots can happen yet as it's very early in the season....
                  Last edited by DonorRoomDrinker; 10-22-2018, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                    In the 15-16 season, MSU-M went up to St. Cloud and got shut out twice. We still went on the get a share of the MacNaughton and to reach the conference championship game that season. St. Cloud is a top-notch program and that's a tough place to play. You guys will be fine.
                    It's still early, but NMU was clearly outplayed most of the weekend. If SCSU truly is a Top 5 team, I'm fine with how this weekend went as I'm sure it exposed a lot of things that will be improved upon by the coaching staff. I'm not knocking SCSU at all, but it is early and it has been seen where teams that were "Top 5" in Oct. are not around in March. Polls are what they are early on....

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    I think RB was being a litte “tongue in cheek” with the season’s over comment. And you’re right. A wedding vow on a daytime soap opera is far more meaningful than the PWR at this point and the KRACH is completely meaningless, since it has no bearing on anything whatsoever.
                    DING! DING! DING! DavyD wins a prize
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Anybody know what the deal is on the live streaming? What's with this Flohockey crap? Is it true you can't cast it to your TV?
                      “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                      – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                      when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

KRACH, having no memory, isn't useful until the turn of the year. Something Elo-based has a little bit more value.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
                          It's a long journey from #49 PairWise to #16 PairWise so I'd rather be at #20 at any given time during the season.... At least you have a chance at #20 so that would be a good number to shoot for.... Lots can happen yet as it's very early in the season....
                          Both the Hockey News and USCHO don’t have PWR rankings saying theyvare “incalculable” at this point. I did find one site with a PWR and it has Notre Dame (#1 in the poll) at 6, #2 St Cloud at 14, #3 UMD at 50 and #4 Ohio St at 10. #5 Minnesota is #29 PWR,, #6 Providence at 20, #7 Minnesota St at 35 and #8 Cornell at 58.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            Both the Hockey News and USCHO don’t have PWR rankings saying theyvare “incalculable” at this point. I did find one site with a PWR and it has Notre Dame (#1 in the poll) at 6, #2 St Cloud at 14, #3 UMD at 50 and #4 Ohio St at 10. #5 Minnesota is #29 PWR,, #6 Providence at 20, #7 Minnesota St at 35 and #8 Cornell at 58.
                            If you're talking about Jim Dahl's site, that sounds right. Very disappointed that #26Union isnt actually 26th in the Pairwise.

I've always been the first to admit that the PWR isn't good for anything until Christmas, but it certainly beats the *other* rankings that continually list BC, BU, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Miami, Denver, Maine, Harvard, and Dartmouth as the top 10 for three straight months.

Circling back around to the PWR, it's easy to lose ground all season. Starting in a hole isnt doing any favors to our comparison, other than we start our season rooting for SCSU and MSU to win their conference titles and go undefeated the rest of the regular season.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Bobcat Goalie Roberts Commits to Northern Michigan

https://www.bismarckbobcats.com/cat-connection
                              "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

NMU Hockey team hopes home ice vs Bemidji State will perk up win-loss record

http://www.miningjournal.net/sports/...2%80%88record/

Comment

Working...
                                X