comcast dropping big ten network in non big ten states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• comcast dropping big ten network in non big ten states

Hidden in a small entry on my bill here in Massachusetts is a note that Comcast will no longer be carrying the big ten network
    along with other networks including SNY
    This causes us to lose one of few outlets that carry hockey (big ten) and SNY usually has some Quinnipiac games

Re: comcast dropping big ten network in non big ten states

Gonna have some ticked football Alumni switching providers..
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      Gonna have some ticked football Alumni switching providers..
      Not if they live where Comcast has a monopoly.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        Not if they live where Comcast has a monopoly.
        There's always satellite dishes, assuming there aren't housing regulations or physical barriers surrounding that. Plus, aren't a number of networks starting to look towards à la carte streaming?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          There's always satellite dishes, assuming there aren't housing regulations or physical barriers surrounding that. Plus, aren't a number of networks starting to look towards à la carte streaming?
          Why would Xfinity allow a competitor to stream video over their fiber optic cable?

Comment

Why would Xfinity allow a competitor to stream video over their fiber optic cable?
            Or maybe that's part of the plan. Why pay to carry B1G when their internet users can stream the content anyway? After all, it's always about money.
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
            Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
              Or maybe that's part of the plan. Why pay to carry B1G when their internet users can stream the content anyway? After all, it's always about money.
              Comcast paid a lot to lay that fiber. They aren't going to let the B1G use it for free. Nor are they going to let Netflix, Hulu, Amazon or Disney. Remember, the old rules of Net Neutrality are gone.

If they aren't charging their own customers, they will be charging other providers.

After all, it's always all about money.

Comment

Comcast paid a lot to lay that fiber. They aren't going to let the B1G use it for free. Nor are they going to let Netflix, Hulu, Amazon or Disney. Remember, the old rules of Net Neutrality are gone.

If they aren't charging their own customers, they will be charging other providers.

After all, it's always all about money.
                Wouldn't be surprised if they're already paying out the rear to bring those sports networks in, and the ratings don't justify the subsidy that Comcrap is either receiving or absorbing to have that network available in areas outside the target region. I recall spending my time at RPI's clubhouse pub with the manager of television on campus, and the cost to them to be able to even provide those channels is exorbitant.

As for the cost of the fibre, that's just fibre. If they want to throttle or create a metered charge for bandwidth, I don't think they're going to do that on BTN's accord. I don't think there's even any ISPs that are throttling specific URLs and not just trying to make a political statement...

Comment

First it was the FCS channels and now BTN. I believe Fios has all of those. Not expecting a discount on the sports package from Comcast. Maybe it's finally time for me to switch to Fios or examine other options.

Comment

This is probably not going to be a popular response but it always concerned me that Big Ten games were always showing and local games were not. Feel it was an advantage in recruiting for the Big Ten. Every region has it's own leagues and teams and those should be the focus of televising in those areas. Sure Big Ten alumni won't like it but neither do alumni of most schools that live outside the footprint of their alma mater and can't see games they would like. The Big Ten built a huge financial network but it was at the expense of other conferences in exposure and thus recruiting. A more level field is good for everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                      This is probably not going to be a popular response but it always concerned me that Big Ten games were always showing and local games were not. Feel it was an advantage in recruiting for the Big Ten. Every region has it's own leagues and teams and those should be the focus of televising in those areas. Sure Big Ten alumni won't like it but neither do alumni of most schools that live outside the footprint of their alma mater and can't see games they would like. The Big Ten built a huge financial network but it was at the expense of other conferences in exposure and thus recruiting. A more level field is good for everyone else.
                      The issue for me is to get as much college hockey on TV as possible- NCHC has a national contract with CBSSN- Big Ten games were nice to see other teams
                      It is the failure of Hockey east to secure a contract that is the real issue- Some teams were on NESN cause they bought the time-- IVY league teams are going to be on new ESPN+-internet streaming for 4.99 a month-no contract-
                      I think recruiting is a real issue and exposure matters
                      Also matters when no eastern teams are in frozen four finals

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                        The issue for me is to get as much college hockey on TV as possible- NCHC has a national contract with CBSSN- Big Ten games were nice to see other teams
                        It is the failure of Hockey east to secure a contract that is the real issue- Some teams were on NESN cause they bought the time-- IVY league teams are going to be on new ESPN+-internet streaming for 4.99 a month-no contract-
                        I think recruiting is a real issue and exposure matters
                        Also matters when no eastern teams are in frozen four finals
                        ESPN+ seems like a great outlet for college hockey. Honestly, it would be great if all leagues considered going that route to be the outlet...
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          There are some federal rules regarding that, IIRC. I *can* install a dish, would lose my deposit (not that THAT matters anyway, I've been here for 10+ years in my apt). But an apt/townhouse cannot ban you from installing a dish overall.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                            Hidden in a small entry on my bill here in Massachusetts is a note that Comcast will no longer be carrying the big ten network
                            along with other networks including SNY
                            This causes us to lose one of few outlets that carry hockey (big ten) and SNY usually has some Quinnipiac games
                            To me it sounds like the BTN is charging providers too much money to air their station AND keep it a non-premium station. I HATE defending Comcrap and this doesn't affect me as I live within the footprint (and I actually go to the home games). I feel for ya DLG but unfortunately for you this falls into the "Not my problem" category".

College Hockey is a niche sport and we're forced to suffer. Looking at it more could this be a potential move by Sinclair to restrict broadcasting?
                            Originally posted by alfablue
                            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              There are some federal rules regarding that, IIRC. I *can* install a dish, would lose my deposit (not that THAT matters anyway, I've been here for 10+ years in my apt). But an apt/townhouse cannot ban you from installing a dish overall.
                              Not to mention, probably exercise a lease termination clause. This is why I'm happy to be in a house now.

Comment

Working...
                              X