This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

In the beginning, there was grammar. And God saw that it was good.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...75966289143073
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Huh. Hammurabi's Code came about 1751 BC. And yet, I'm hearing it's impossible to be a good person without following Jesus.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
        Huh. Hammurabi's Code came about 1751 BC. And yet, I'm hearing it's impossible to be a good person without following Jesus.
        Uh for a Christian, that would be a true statement,though there are a bunch of bahstahds who profess Christianity. For a non Christian, if they're good, I'm good.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Currently drinking a nice Pinot Noir.

Unlike most mainline Christians, this wine judges no one. Wine doesn't set itself up as morally superior because it believes in Magical Sky Daddy. Wine doesn't tell me I'm confused or tell me I have a mental illness because I'm trans. Wine doesn't tell me "I can control my tendencies."

Wine >>>>>>.......>>>>>>....>>>> religion.
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

A Catholic Solemn High Mass with all the bells and whistles (or, as we say, smells and bells). 2 hrs+

https://youtu.be/IL5VqeSMw4U
            Last edited by joecct; 04-29-2018, 07:35 PM.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Church sign:

"God Made Humans And Land Animals."

You know, I have read Genesis 1 before, and I'm pretty sure beasts of the sea were mentioned in there... or did this particular church concede that evolution gave us water life?

Comment

Well, this is a bit of a surprise..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...m-country.html
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Even if I were to believe right now, quiet example will do much more than beating me in the face with a Bible saying "Believe OR ELSE!" "HELL IS HOT!" "YOU'LL BURN FOR ALL ETERNITY!"

Even in the Gospels, Jesus said "follow me." That's it. He did not say "Follow me or you'll be tortured for all eternity."

Where did his followers lose the plot so **** bad?

Comment

Even if I were to believe right now, quiet example will do much more than beating me in the face with a Bible saying "Believe OR ELSE!" "HELL IS HOT!" "YOU'LL BURN FOR ALL ETERNITY!"

Even in the Gospels, Jesus said "follow me." That's it. He did not say "Follow me or you'll be tortured for all eternity."

Where did his followers lose the plot so **** bad?
                    Paraphrasing
                    "I am the way, the truth and the light. No one gets to the Father except through Me."

Don't follow, no heaven.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

But Jesus didn't beat anyone in the head. The crazies I see on TV love to scream "BELIEVE OR ELSE."

I admit, I am questioning. But I am questioning because of quiet example, not because some ******* with a Bible got in my face and started screaming.

Comment

But Jesus didn't beat anyone in the head. The crazies I see on TV love to scream "BELIEVE OR ELSE."

I admit, I am questioning. But I am questioning because of quiet example, not because some ******* with a Bible got in my face and started screaming.
                        You convert by example, not screaming bloody murder.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Paraphrasing
                          "I am the way, the truth and the light. No one gets to the Father except through Me."

Don't follow, no heaven.
                          There are only a few places where Jesus got it totally wrong. This was one of them.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            There are only a few places where Jesus got it totally wrong. This was one of them.
                            You know that it is an impossibility. God is without error.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              You know that it is an impossibility. God is without error.
                              Yes, um, about that...

But I'm willing to say the Apostles pulled it out of their as-s as part of their power play (e.g., Matthew 16:18). It's a dick move, quite unworthy of Jesus (c.f., John 17:3).
                              Last edited by Kepler; 05-08-2018, 04:24 PM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So we have an omniscient god, but he required the Jews to mark their huts with goats blood so as to know which huts belonged to the Jews, and which belonged to the Egyptians? That sounds like a faulty system to me.

"Did anybody tell Saul about the goat blood thing going on tonight? He missed the meeting with a sick kid."
                                "I thought you did."
                                "Well, sh**."
                                "Do you think anyone will notice tomorrow morning?"
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X