X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Great. Its kind of what this is and supposed to be all about - service for others. Other individuals are there as well for those benefits - and unfort. as with the rest of society, some will have differing POVs.

Regardless, top priority for church is local community and help for anyone who can benefit.
    And I'm on the fence about my beliefs. But it's nice to be viewed as a Child of God, rather than who I'm attracted to/my gender identity.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
      And I'm on the fence about my beliefs. But it's nice to be viewed as a Child of God, rather than who I'm attracted to/my gender identity.
      Lots of people are on the fence about their beliefs. If you blindly believe, without thought, then is that real deep faith or routine? Personally I think it is normal and expected to have periods of questioning. I ask the HS kids in my church SS class every year if there are parts they struggle with. I would say pretty much everyone for the last 10 yrs has said yes- except the Pastor's wife. And I am not sure how much of a deep thinker she was.

Comment

The question of God's existence should not be high on your list of priorities.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

The existence of God should be not be high on your list of priorities.
          Why Kepler, you’ve changed
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Yeah, because it's a fable. Like Zeus, Odin, Jack and the Beanstalk.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Why Kepler, you’ve changed
              In addition to a conduit for charity, there are two purposes for church. One is creating local community - an open market of connecting as well as giving and receiving of support. Sounds like this is what Ms. is currently most interested in...so why not just focus on that?

Another is worship type stuff. If a recent joiner is interested in this...why not first learn about things? Spend time with the Gospels and get to know who God is before anything. Date before you marry. And nobody says you ever have to decide. Per wiki, Christians are defined as those who follow the life and teachings of Jesus and even then, you are welcome to participate without being Christian.

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Yeah, because it's a fable. Like Zeus, Odin, Jack and the Beanstalk.
              That may seem like a highly relevant perspective for an atheist or skeptic. But it truly misses the mark of the broader concept and its benefits.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Good advice. And I know you say it is skeptics, atheists, and agnostics who tend to focus most on the question of God's existence, but do you believe in a heaven and hell which exists in anything other than a metaphorical sense and which awaits us after death?

Comment

Always with the coolest questions.

Originally posted by burd View Post
                  Good advice. And I know you say it is skeptics, atheists, and agnostics who tend to focus most on the question of God's existence, but do you believe in a heaven and hell which exists in anything other than a metaphorical sense and which awaits us after death?
                  The easy answer is I believe in a metaphorical heaven and hell. Do good and you'll be in 'heaven'; don't do bad and stay out of 'hell'.

Regarding a concrete/future heaven and hell 1) can't know and 2) consider it actually not important. Not that its not important, but that I can't know nor do anything about. And in the end, I have no problem with that as I already do much of what I can because of my belief in a metaphorical heaven/hell.

Good/bad behavior is kind of like doing good/bad work for your job. Don't worry about the quality of your lifestyle...do the best you can in your work on the job. You do good work, you will get paid well and you will have a good lifestyle. As long as you know what good behavior is (and that's the Word)...you can only do the best you are capable of towards definitive good.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Always with the coolest questions.

The easy answer is I believe in a metaphorical heaven and hell. Do good and you'll be in 'heaven'; don't do bad and stay out of 'hell'.

Regarding a concrete/future heaven and hell 1) can't know and 2) consider it actually not important. Not that its not important, but that I can't know nor do anything about. And in the end, I have no problem with that as I already do much of what I can because of my belief in a metaphorical heaven/hell.

Good/bad behavior is kind of like doing good/bad work for your job. Don't worry about the quality of your lifestyle...do the best you can in your work on the job. You do good work, you will get paid well and you will have a good lifestyle. As long as you know what good behavior is (and that's the Word)...you can only do the best you are capable of towards definitive good.
                    Sounds more like philosophy than religion--a very good one.

Sometimes semantics are so important; sometimes not.

Comment

Anyone see the story about the priests at the Trump rally? I guess the Bishop was not amused . Ooops!

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                        Sounds more like philosophy than religion--a very good one.

Sometimes semantics are so important; sometimes not.
                        Thanks. Is it a philosophy? That's not what I'd call it. Its all just common sense based on:

1. Jesus being God and clearly defining/redefining the faith vs. elsewhere in the Bible - priorities.
                        2. Jesus nearly always using metaphors, allegories and examples to teach - a preferable, durable approach to instructing broad concepts.
                        3. An acknowledgement that Jesus defines God as love and assistance for the less fortunate; and the faith should amplify, rather than interfere with those.

I believe its an appropriate interpretation that accounts for/corrects historical misinterpretation. Individuals in the historic church tried to use Jesus/God to explain everything that happens. Apparently pre modern church mistook Jesus' lesson in the miracles as sit back and just worship because God can do anything. Really the miracles are there to get others to emulate Jesus' behavior of helping those in need - the neediest get healed, nobody is just getting a boatload of money. This perspective of serving the needy is outlined over and over in the Gospels - whereas that the above church misinterpretation of God just doling out the goods to believers is not.
                        Last edited by 5mn_Major; 07-09-2018, 10:39 AM.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Oh, really?? This took a set of brass ones.

@SeeOfRochester: Today @churchofengland remembers Thomas More, Scholar, and John Fisher, Bishop of @SeeOfRochester, Reformation Martyrs, Thomas died #OTD 1535, John two weeks earlier.
                          https://buff.ly/2ISdXdM
                          #CloudOfWitnesses, #RoffenSaints https://twitter.com/SeeOfRochester/s...526401/photo/1
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

If / when Trump gets another SCOTUS pick, are we on our way to a Christian version of Sharia Law?

Comment

Yes
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

No. NO Christian would buy what he is selling. Pseudo-Christian extremists. Its an insult to call them Christians- Christ spend most of the New Testament preaching against vermin like the current president and his followers.

Comment

Working...
                                X