This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Most of you know that I am a dyed in the cloth Catholic.

Tomorrow at 2pm, the Pennsylvania grand jury report on priestly abuse and coverup on all but 2 dioceses (Philly and Altoona/Johnstown have been out for a while) will be released.

Be prepared to be disgusted. And angry. And a whole lot of things.

Heads need to roll. Hopefully they will.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Most of you know that I am a dyed in the cloth Catholic.

Tomorrow at 2pm, the Pennsylvania grand jury report on priestly abuse and coverup on all but 2 dioceses (Philly and Altoona/Johnstown have been out for a while) will be released.

Be prepared to be disgusted. And angry. And a whole lot of things.

Heads need to roll. Hopefully they will.
      But as you are so fond of asking liberals around here re: anger about Trump - what will you actually do about it, Joe?

Comment

Congrats to Ilhan Omar! The third Muslim and first Somali American to serve in the US legislature.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          But as you are so fond of asking liberals around here re: anger about Trump - what will you actually do about it, Joe?
          I plan to be part of TheBishopsKnew.com group at the November USCCB convo in Baltimore.

I've emailed the Arcdiocese that ++Wuerl has to go.

And prayer.

If you haven't read the Grand Jury report, it is ugly, disgusting, and a vicious indictment of the clergy that covered up for the abusers and each other.

It's an election year in PA and I expect that the Statute of Limitations on abuse cases will be extended. However, God has no Statute of Limitations.

The website Rorate Caeli questions the rush to sainthood for Popes John XXIII, John Paul II and the upcoming canonization of Paul VI on the grounds they were the presided over and implemented the enablers of the sex scandal.

https://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/20...xiii-paul.html
          Last edited by joecct; 08-15-2018, 07:51 PM.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I plan to be part of TheBishopsKnew.com group at the November USCCB convo in Baltimore.

I've emailed the Arcdiocese that ++Wuerl has to go.
            Those are good starts. Prayer is your own thing. I think it goes unheard, so I don't count it.

If you haven't read the Grand Jury report, it is ugly, disgusting, and a vicious indictment of the clergy that covered up for the abusers and each other.

It's an election year in PA and I expect that the Statute of Limitations on abuse cases will be extended. However, God has no Statute of Limitations.
            I've skimmed through it, and that's enough to know it's really bad. As bad, or worse, than Cardinal Law's knowledge of pedo priests in Boston 15+ years ago.

The website Rorate Caeli questions the rush to sainthood for Popes John XXIII, John Paul II and the upcoming canonization of Paul VI on the grounds they were the presided over and implemented the enablers of the sex scandal.

https://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/20...xiii-paul.html
            I think JP2 knew the vast majority of it, and I wouldn't consider him a saint, if I still cared about saints. He was a flawed leader in denial about this issue, and helped cover it up for years. All the Popes since him have played a role in that denial. As a now non-believer, I can only hope that Francis does the right thing. It would go a long way towards me giving a sh*t about the Catholic Church for the first time since about 2005.

Comment

At what point is it better to just say that this organization has no integrity and it’s better to just move on to something different?

After all this news I’m honestly shocked anyone would show up at mass on Sunday...

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                At what point is it better to just say that this organization has no integrity and it’s better to just move on to something different?

After all this news I’m honestly shocked anyone would show up at mass on Sunday...
                When you've been part of an institution long enough, you tend to stick with what know. You rationalize by affirming that a majority of the priesthood isn't involved (which is true, but it ignores the problem that church leadership has failed to properly address the issue, and in many cases, been complicit in coverups). Or saying that even priests are humans with flaws, so the abhorrent actions of this minority shouldn't shake your faith.

Comment

Just read Sanctus and The Key by Simon Toyne where the premise of the book is the Church is built around perpetuating a falsehood about Eve with all sorts of intrigue by a subgroup of the Church. It was kind of surreal and sad to then hear the stuff about PA.

Comment

Its a terrible crime. It was when Kepler posted his first USCHO article thirty years ago. There are many bad people that are attracted to places where they can get power (i.e., government) - especially when there are vulnerable people involved (i.e., religion). And as a result, the ongoing damage is soo terrible for the victims and has a ripple effect for many others in terms of morality that can't help but send the country further down the path of chaotic negativity.

Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many
                    - Jesus

For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock
                    - Paul

The amazing thing is that every single religious institution hasn't by now made priest scandals their absolute #1 priority - we're watching you.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

One of the defenses that the Catholic faithful has fallen upon for this issue is that we don't know the quantity of abuses nationwide for denominations outside of the Catholic Church because no other organization has a way of aggregating data the way they do. All the Protestant religions have been split, so their parishes don't have any centralized point of focus. The Lutherans have the ELCA, and the Baptists have annual meetings, but no parish is required to report to a central authority the way the Catholics do. Thus their abuses aren't as well known.

An example of their argument is Aretha Franklin's father who impregnated a 12yo girl when he was a Baptist minister.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Yeah. How much is going on in the boy scouts? It happens everywhere.
                        Last edited by 5mn_Major; 08-23-2018, 10:49 AM.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Boom!

https://www.lifesitenews.com/mobile/...mpression=true

EDIT: National Catholic Register claims to have confirmed that B16 did sanction then Cardinal McCarrick.
                          Last edited by joecct; 08-25-2018, 10:16 PM.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/08/28/us/...www.cnn.com%2F

At this point wouldn’t it just be better for all for the church to disband as an entity?

As a minimum they have no credibility anymore when offering opinion on morality.

Comment

Not a Catholic and don't really believe in the premise of Pope infallibility, needing a priest to be the middleman or Doctrine but.... I feel for those who are true spirits and are faithful. They say Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I believe it. People who have pure motives have a hard time dealing or winning against people who lack integrity. For people who believe in the Catholic 'system' this totally messes with the foundation of their faith.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                                https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/08/28/us/...www.cnn.com%2F

At this point wouldn’t it just be better for all for the church to disband as an entity?

As a minimum they have no credibility anymore when offering opinion on morality.
                                The Church itself is without error on matters of faith and morals.

Those who abuse and/or cover up or enable abuse of kids and adults are pond scum and need to go. If that means that the number of bishops and priests is 1/3 it is what it is now and the number of dioceses and parishes are 1/3 of today's total, then so be it.

Sometimes you must pare the limbs to save the tree. This now looks like the case.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X