This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
    What does that have to do with the Church officially coming out against the death penalty once and for all? My God, talk about deflection.

I gave up the ghost of my Catholicism over a decade ago. I go to church when family niceties require it, but long since stopped believing. And yeah, the sex scandal played a role. As did the church's stance on birth control and abortion. But lack of faith in any sort of deity was the biggest factor.
    Fly back a few posts and the reference to the USCCB. My contention, in the wake of the McCarrick scandal, is the USCCB has lost all credibility.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Fly back a few posts and the reference to the USCCB. My contention, in the wake of the McCarrick scandal, is the USCCB has lost all credibility.
      The actions of one discredits the entire group? OK then, all priests are pedophiles.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        The actions of one discredits the entire group? OK then, all priests are pedophiles.
        One? One?? Man are you naive.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

One? One?? Man are you naive.
          OK, so the entire Catholic church hierarchy is populated by pedophiles, and no one should take Catholicism or its teachings seriously.

Works for me, since it turned out that the priest at my elementary school was one. Yikes!

Comment

For those who want to wade through a bit here are articles that set forth Catholic pro and con of the death penalty.

http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/fe...talpunishment/
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Can't access link at moment without losing this thread.

If one thinks that God has answers to everything and the Church preaches that Jesus died for our sins ---then how can a human pass judgement and decide they need to kill someone for their sins? Theologically this baffles me for a number of reasons-

-How is it possible for it not to be a sin for the human who is doing the execution. It is not the person who was harmed so the person is killing in cold blood. I thought God is the only one who is supposed to pass judgement. How can killing someone for human reasons of judgment get a pass?
              -Isn't that diametrically opposed to the teaching that all can repent and be forgiven, with God all things are possible? After all this is the excuse for letting priests maintain confidentiality for people who confess horrific things and for giving people (priests,, others in church) a pass after they have been dealt with.
              -How is it OK for humans to decide that some people are worth killing and others not? How do humans have the right to pass this judgment and decide what is the ultimate sin that deserves this? The Bible doesn't talk about this half as much as how people should behave. The main focus is what you are supposed to go out and do.

I may be off base ~ I think Catholicism is not based on the Bible at all but Doctrine, which frequently circumvents Scripture~ not sure if the Catholic stance is the Doctrine supersedes what the Bible tells us to do. Even then aren't you supposed to rely on God to fix this? Isn't taking it into human hands showing unfaithfulness?

Not just Catholics but a lot of religious peoples seem to preach complete reliance on God unless they can't tolerate what ever it is then they decide-perserevate on it and do things that are opposed to the teaching of Christ. IMHO if CHrist was here looking at some of this he would be in complete disbelief- love your neighbor- unless they aren't like you. Feed the poor- unless you decide they don't work hard enough, are free loaders, or what ever other excuse to belittle someone who is hungry. Live the Spirit of the Law, don't be like the Pharisees who were so wrapped up in minutia they forgot to think of why the Law was made- except when you want to make up human laws that exclude people, separate people, keep your riches and not share with your neighbor....

Was brought up Unitarian- sort of- with all sorts of comparative religion discussions. This stuff has always baffled/fascinated me. People truly seem to think they are living the Faith correctly but doing things that seem completely in opposition to what it seems Christ was saying

[as someone who has dealt with sociopaths- on a clinical level- I fully believe there are those who are scarily pathologic and the only way to protect society is to completely wall them off. If a person is born without the capacity that allows for conscience then nothing is going to make that person develop that ability.]
              Last edited by leswp1; 08-03-2018, 05:14 PM.

Comment

If the death penalty was good enough for Jesus, it’s good enough for Tyrone.

Perhaps Tyrone should be grateful to be in the same company as Jesus
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  If the death penalty was good enough for Jesus, it’s good enough for Tyrone.

Perhaps Tyrone should be grateful to be in the same company as Jesus
                  Not exactly the deep answer I was looking for but it will do

Comment

At Mass this weekend, the priest was giving his homily, and tossed in what could be written off as a throwaway line, but he really wanted to make that dig. "And let's not even get into the borderline heresy that is the Prosperity Gospel." Ha!

Guys like Joel Olsteen never really sat right with me, and the more I read that crazy book, the less impressive those swindlers seem to me.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Joel Osteen better hope there isn’t a hell.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Joel Osteen better hope there isn’t a hell.
                        Osteen welcomes ALL denominations... but his personal favorite is the Franklin!

Osteen has some friends, perhaps you know them? Franklin, Grant, and Jackson?
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                          Osteen welcomes ALL denominations... but his personal favorite is the Franklin!

Osteen has some friends, perhaps you know them? Franklin, Grant, and Jackson?
                          Green is the color most pleasing to the Lord!!!
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Green is the color most pleasing to the Lord!!!
                            Because he's a shepherd, and really enjoys his flock of money?
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              Because he's a shepherd, and really enjoys his flock of money?
                              A cynical statement referring to pastors who have I. Luv Money as a relative
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

It seems like the honest pastors/priests I know only have Washington, Lincoln, Hamilton, and on a good week, Jackson as friends.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X