Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 118

Thread: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

  1. #41

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further down the road
    Posts
    59,341

    Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    (I always heard it as "grandpa", not "mother". )
    I'm old.
    We do what we must because we can
    For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  2. #42
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    24,687

    Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

    Subscribed

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Indialantic, FL
    Posts
    7,959
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Typically their largest initiatives include aid for the local community, aid to internationally challenged areas and aid to the immediate congregation.
    Nonsense. I was the youth representative on my church's finance committee. Out of our $1.5M budget, less than 2% went to our missions committee, which included all of the categories you mention above. Nearly 10% went for the building/facilities committee. More than half was for employee salaries (pastor, assistant, choir director, organist, receptionist, program director, etc). Show me a church that spends most of its budget on helping the community, and I'll show you a few guys who meet in a garage.

  4. #44
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    18,464
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    .
    We know the religious are also far more likely to volunteer. Among Americans who have volunteered within the last year, three quarters belong to a religious organization, one quarter do not.
    Actually, since a quarter of Americans are non-religious, that simply shows each group was represented exactly as you'd expect. You aren't punching above your weight.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further down the road
    Posts
    59,341

    Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    I'm better than you.
    We do what we must because we can
    For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    12,175

    Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    If you could bring any facts...you might be able to venture beyond hyperbole.
    Go Gophers!

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    12,175

    Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Actually, since a quarter of Americans are non-religious, that simply shows each group was represented exactly as you'd expect. You aren't punching above your weight.
    Knew this was coming. The qualifier is a more religious subsegment as they 'belong to a religious organization'. That segment is at or potentially below 50%...with 75% of total representation making for the religious massively overindexing. Philanthropy Roundtable said as much. 'We know the religious are also far more likely to volunteer'.

    Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    I was the youth representative on my church's finance committee. Out of our $1.5M budget, less than 2% went to our missions committee, which included all of the categories you mention above. Nearly 10% went for the building/facilities committee. More than half was for employee salaries (pastor, assistant, choir director, organist, receptionist, program director, etc). Show me a church that spends most of its budget on helping the community, and I'll show you a few guys who meet in a garage.
    Typical national charities provide major benefits for targeted distant calamities. They are fortunate to have economies of scale and can target large scale issues. But they can't handle the vast number and the diversity of support needed by local communities. Think of brick and mortar retailer (church) vs. mail order (other charities).

    Local support to the community may not benefit you...but the broader community needs/uses it. Just as with brick and mortar stores, churches put a significant amount of its budget into sustaining themselves...actually about 50% into staffing and real estate. http://www.pnwumc.org/news/how-churc...d-their-money/ Beyond that churches target many local needs - for which people and locations are needed. But if your church providing 2% on programs is indicative of its support for the needs of its attendees, the local community as well as distant opportunities, it should close its doors.
    Go Gophers!

  8. #48
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    18,464
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Knew this was coming. The qualifier is a more religious subsegment as they 'belong to a religious organization'.
    You mean like a church or synagogue? No shiat.

  9. #49
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    39,406

    Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

    Hovey, people like Rev. Jen don't get air time.

    However, Tony Perkins and Family Research Council, Focus on the Family, etc... those Christians DO get air time. And being bi and trans, imagine having to listen to them saying LGBT people are pedophiles, criminals, and will rape your daughter in a public restroom.

    And it's not just them. I've had friends (not friends anymore) tell me I'm sinning, I'm going against God, I can "control my tendencies," I'm confused... these people have stopped talking to me. In fact, my old pastor will not address the topic with me, probably because he knows he's wrong and that by talking with me, his pet bull**** will be blown to bits.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  10. #50
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    27,711

    Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

    Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Hovey, people like Rev. Jen don't get air time.

    However, Tony Perkins and Family Research Council, Focus on the Family, etc... those Christians DO get air time. And being bi and trans, imagine having to listen to them saying LGBT people are pedophiles, criminals, and will rape your daughter in a public restroom.

    And it's not just them. I've had friends (not friends anymore) tell me I'm sinning, I'm going against God, I can "control my tendencies," I'm confused... these people have stopped talking to me. In fact, my old pastor will not address the topic with me, probably because he knows he's wrong and that by talking with me, his pet bull**** will be blown to bits.
    Here comes 5mn to say, "This how the media DEMONIZES "real" Christians!"
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  11. #51
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    39,406

    Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

    Also... didn't Hammurabi's Code come before Christianity?
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    12,175

    Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Here comes 5mn to say, "This how the media DEMONIZES "real" Christians!"
    95% of all and the major media outlets treat Christianity fairly.
    Go Gophers!

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    12,175

    Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

    Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Hovey, people like Rev. Jen don't get air time.
    Outrage gets press. Lifewater does not.

    LIFEWATER Lifewater is a Christian clean water organization. For more than 40 years, we’ve been bringing clean water, improved health, and hope to vulnerable women and children living in extreme poverty.

    115,309 CURRENTLY SERVED More than 100,000 people in Africa and Southeast Asia are involved in a Lifewater program. View Active Programs
    15,442 HEALTHY HOMES Thousands of families have worked hard to learn healthy habits and transform their home for life. See Healthy Homes
    290 WATER PROJECTS Since starting the Healthy Village program in 2016, you’ve helped build 200+ water sources. See Current Projects
    92% SUSTAINABILITY 92% of Lifewater wells are still operational–56% more than the average in sub-Saharan Africa. Read the Report

    https://lifewater.org/
    Go Gophers!

  14. #54
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,056
    Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    Nonsense. I was the youth representative on my church's finance committee. Out of our $1.5M budget, less than 2% went to our missions committee, which included all of the categories you mention above. Nearly 10% went for the building/facilities committee. More than half was for employee salaries (pastor, assistant, choir director, organist, receptionist, program director, etc). Show me a church that spends most of its budget on helping the community, and I'll show you a few guys who meet in a garage.
    Must be Methodist

  15. #55
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    39,406

    Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    95% of all and the major media outlets treat Christianity fairly.
    As I said, you don't want your precious religion to be perceived as bitter and hateful... raise your voice.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  16. #56

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further down the road
    Posts
    59,341

    Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Must be Methodist
    I was thinking Anglican. Church of the Chamber of Commerce.
    We do what we must because we can
    For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Indialantic, FL
    Posts
    7,959

    Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Must be Methodist
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I was thinking Anglican. Church of the Chamber of Commerce.
    Mookie wins! And on the first guess, too.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

  18. #58
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    39,406

    Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

    Amazing that people predict the Rapture when the Bible makes no specific mention of a rapture.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  19. #59
    Kichizapi Chetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    13,378

    Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Must be Methodist
    Did someone say " ... and Methodists!"
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  20. #60
    Kichizapi Chetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    13,378

    Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Outrage gets press. Lifewater does not.
    If it bleeds it leads.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •