This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Fade, she went from best friend to persona non grata with comments like these: "you're confused, you're every bit a man, you should be happy with the way God made you, you need to find God, and no one is really gay and you can control your tendencies."

Why do bigots insist I need to find their version of God?
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Curious, Joe, does this change your philosophy on capital punishment?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45042130
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

He hears not what the Jesuit says

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

He said "Inadmissable", not (as in the case of another thread) "Intrinsically evil."

I still believe that there are instances where a crime "shocks the conscience of the community" and calls for the ultimate sanction. These situations should be very, very rare, but IMO true evil needs to be destroyed.

Now, cynical me observes that killing people is now wrong but raping kids and young adults is permissible. I could be wrong, but....
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

When Burkina Faso is ahead of you on a topic of social justice.....you're way behind.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              He said "Inadmissable", not (as in the case of another thread) "Intrinsically evil."

I still believe that there are instances where a crime "shocks the conscience of the community" and calls for the ultimate sanction. These situations should be very, very rare, but IMO true evil needs to be destroyed.

Now, cynical me observes that killing people is now wrong but raping kids and young adults is permissible. I could be wrong, but....
              It looks like you - and 53% of US Catholics - are breaking with the Church, joe.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/02/europ...ntl/index.html
              The change announced Thursday was "important" but should not come as a surprise, Vatican spokesman Greg Burke told CNN.

"It was expected for a long time, starting with John Paul II," he said. "He had a document, 'The Gospel of Life,' in which he said it is essentially the conditions (that) were once considered OK for allowing the death penalty have basically disappeared.

"The key point here is really human dignity," Burke said. "The Pope is saying that no matter how grievous the crime, someone never loses his or her human dignity.

"One of the rationales for the death penalty in Catholic teachings historically was to protect society. Obviously, the state still has that obligation," he said. "That is not being taken away here, but they can do that in other ways."

Francis in a 2015 speech to the US Congress said that human life must be defended "at every stage of its development."

"This conviction has led me, from the beginning of my ministry, to advocate at different levels for the global abolition of the death penalty," Francis told top US elected lawmakers.

"I am convinced that this way is the best, since every life is sacred, every human person is endowed with an inalienable dignity, and society can only benefit from the rehabilitation of those convicted of crimes."

Francis also noted that the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, a powerful lobbying force, had already advocated for the abolition of the death penalty.

"Not only do I support them, but I also offer encouragement to all those who are convinced that a just and necessary punishment must never exclude the dimension of hope and the goal of rehabilitation," Francis said.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                It looks like you - and 53% of US Catholics - are breaking with the Church, joe.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/02/europ...ntl/index.html
                The USCCB has about as much credibility these days as Russia Today.

Like I said - rare usage.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

The pope and now the Church officially says no usage. Welcome to cafeteria Catholicism, Joe.

Comment

Except that in this case, the USCCB is directly in line with the Vatican. Just because you're wrong on issue X, doesn't mean you're wrong on issue Y.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      The pope and now the Church officially says no usage. Welcome to cafeteria Catholicism, Joe.
                      Google McCarrick and read the platitudes from the USCCB. I hope you're as ticked off as I & a whole bunch of others are.

Meanwhile yesterday, His Holiness apparently said this:

@matteomatzuzzi: Intanto ieri il Papa ha pronunciato la seguente frase testuale: "Suicidi, dipendenze e uscita verso la guerriglia sono le tre opzioni che i giovani hanno oggi, quando non c'è lavoro"

@matteomatzuzzi: Meanwhile, yesterday the Pope has pronounced the following text: "Suicides, addictions and exit to the guerrilla are the three options that young people have today, when there is no work"
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        Except that in this case, the USCCB is directly in line with the Vatican. Just because you're wrong on issue X, doesn't mean you're wrong on issue Y.
                        And your favorite whipping boy Alex Jones??
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I suppose Alex Jones had a mother who loved him, but he's 100% con artist who preys upon the ignorant. Not exactly "whipping boy" material in the ordinary sense, it seems to me.

Comment

In court, his lawyer made the case that Alex Jones is an act. He's a performance artist, spewing gibberish that his unwitting fans eat up and treat like gospel truths. We see an example of that here on the site. What more is there to know?

A lawyer wouldn't put that on record without consent from his/her client.

Comment

How many have googled McCarrick & are not disgusted?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                How many have googled McCarrick & are not disgusted?
                                What does that have to do with the Church officially coming out against the death penalty once and for all? My God, talk about deflection.

I gave up the ghost of my Catholicism over a decade ago. I go to church when family niceties require it, but long since stopped believing. And yeah, the sex scandal played a role. As did the church's stance on birth control and abortion. But lack of faith in any sort of deity was the biggest factor.
                                Last edited by unofan; 08-02-2018, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X